Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RocketLawnchair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2015
THIS IS NOT A SELL THREAD

4 Ghz i7
16 GB RAM
512 GB Flash drive
2 GB Video

I'm not getting a fair price IMO. As in hundreds off and still no sale. Do these really depreciate that much? Any advice for selling channels? I've done eBay, Craigslist (lol), and soliciting friends and family. Anything I'm missing or am I really going to have to eat $1000 or more?

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Yep, sounds like it.

With new ones being introduced yesterday, you're likely to have a harder time selling it than before. Why sell it?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Brand new ones with the base config have been available for discounts approaching $400-500 off MSRP at times during the past few months...and that was before yesterday's update with its new price cuts.

My advice would be to start at just below what Apple is currently charging for a refurbished model with the same specs as yours and then be prepared to come down more from there as necessary.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
You have the wrong GPU for people who would be likely to appreciate the extra money you spent on the CPU..

For the people who don´t care about the better GPU in the iMac your CPU upgrade just looks like wasted money..

You have a tricky version that needs a special customer or a low enough price to beat the current base model :)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yikes

Brand new ones with the base config have been available for discounts approaching $400-500 off MSRP at times during the past few months...and that was before yesterday's update with its new price cuts.

My advice would be to start at just below what Apple is currently charging for a refurbished model with the same specs as yours and then be prepared to come down more from there as necessary.

Yup. High-end models depreciate the fastest and the i7 is only going to be super helpful for 3D or video people.

Good luck!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
You have the wrong GPU for people who would be likely to appreciate the extra money you spent on the CPU..

For the people who don´t care about the better GPU in the iMac your CPU upgrade just looks like wasted money..

You have a tricky version that needs a special customer or a low enough price to beat the current base model :)

Personally, I really wanted one with the i7 and the M290X, but when I was able to get the base config at Best Buy for $475 off back in early April, I simply couldn't resist that deal and jumped at it. The CTO models like the OP has are always much harder to sell second hand and get back any of the additional investment that had to be made on them up front.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Personally, I really wanted one with the i7 and the M290X, but when I was able to get the base config at Best Buy for $475 off back in early April, I simply couldn't resist that deal and jumped at it. The CTO models like the OP has are always much harder to sell second hand and get back any of the additional investment that had to be made on them up front.

Base 15" is on average about $1150 less than the dGPU 15" upgrade here in Sweden. A few weeks/months/years later no one will pay you $1150 more for that 750m, 0,3ghz and 256GB more storage..

Then again I would never pay anything for any of the macs with soldered 2GB/4GB ram, so some CTO upgrades do make your product easier to sell. That $200 Soldered-RAM upgrade is probably worth $500 today :)

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Good luck. Apple just dropped the price of Retina Imacs by $500.

And just not many in the market for $2kish used Macs let alone new ones.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I'm in a somewhat different situation, but my thought process as a buyer might interest you.

I was given a 2006 iMac a year ago. The hard drive was dead so I replaced it with a 1TB drive and have been using it as the computer that sits in the spare room. While we don't use it much, I've found more utility to it than I initially expected. Unfortunately, it won't run Yosemite and therefore the latest Safari, which means that Google Mail doesn't work half the time. To me, once OS support is gone a computer needs replacing, so I'm in the market.

My criteria:

I've got two iPads, two iPhones, two laptops and two desktops to try and keep current. It's come down to $/yr in my book. If an iMac has an 8 year lifespan, a 2008 iMac isn't worth much to me as it's probably going to be unsupported in a year or two. I looked at a 2011 that was for sale and here's how I see it. I can get a brand new one for $1,000 with an educational discount. At end of life, you can still get something for an iMac. Let's call it $200. At straight line depreciation, the 2011 is worth:

$200 + ($1000 - 200) / 8 * 4 = $600

That's straight line, meaning $100/yr depreciation. Some people are asking that, but then why wouldn't I buy a new one. Why would I want to lose $400 owning a 4 to 8 year old computer? Obviously, to me the depreciation should be faster earlier on, so I skew that number as I see fit, and that's what I'm seeing for prices as they range between $400 and $600.

As for your machine,

$200 + ($2000 - 200) /8 * 1= $1,775

Then adjust for the fact that you can get a refurb and faster depreciation, etc.

As an interesting side note, I'm not sure my pricing model reflects what goes on entirely in real world pricing, which is subject to market demand. People do seem to be asking more for machines than this would suggest and I will buy new if I can't get something in line with my formula. I can't afford to spend $500 on a machine that may only last two or three years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.