Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iTunes-Radio-250x225.jpg
Apple's Beats Music and iTunes Radio streaming services are available in a limited number of countries, but Apple is working on launching its upcoming music service in a number of countries around the world. Previous rumors have suggested Apple's upcoming music service will launch in multiple countries when it debuts in June, and a new report from Billboard confirms that Apple is seeking to establish deals in Russia.

According to Russian newspapers, leading Russian record labels have hinted at the negotiations and have suggested that Russia will be among the first countries where the new music service will launch. Apple is said to be working on deals with local labels that would expand its digital rights to streaming services. Currently, Russian iTunes users have access to music, movies, apps, and books through iTunes, as well as iTunes Match.

Beats Music is only available in the United States, while iTunes Radio is available in Australia and the United States. When iTunes Radio launched in 2013, Apple promised to bring it to additional countries, with iTunes chief Eddy Cue saying a worldwide launch for iTunes Radio was a "top priority" and service was planned for "more than 100 countries."

It is not clear why Apple's iTunes Radio expansion plans fell through, but the intricacies of establishing contracts in many countries around the world likely played a part, as did iTunes Radio's lukewarm reception.

iTunes Radio is set to receive a major revamp alongside Beats Music, and while today's report doesn't state whether or not the Russian negotiations cover content for both streaming services, previous rumors have suggested that the new version of iTunes Radio, like the new streaming music service, will launch in multiple countries around the world.

The new version of iTunes Radio may feature improved curation and exclusive radio shows hosted by notable DJs. Apple hired BBC Radio DJ Zane Lowe earlier this year, along with a handful of other radio content producers. Exact details on Apple's new iTunes Radio service are not known, but Apple may attempt to make the service more palatable to users through better tailoring towards regional markets.

As for the upcoming streaming music service, it's rumored to be similar to the existing Beats Music service, with a focus on curated content and artist exclusives. While iTunes Radio will remain free, the new Beats-based streaming service will reportedly cost $9.99 per month.

Both the revamped iTunes Radio and the new streaming music service may debut in June, at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, and both will be integrated into Apple's redesigned music app, introduced with iOS 8.4.

Article Link: Apple's Streaming Music Negotiations in Russia Confirm Plans for Multi-Country Availability

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Good luck getting Russians to pay for digital anything. No offense, but piracy is rampant in that country.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
That's not how it works. Its US only, frustrating the non-us customers for at least one generation. Then finally we trickle it out one language at a time.

Come on Apple get it right.

/s
:D

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
what i find funny is that iTunes Radio has been fully translated to german and spanish since the very beginning, they just never bothered to get deals into place

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Just don't see how it could be better than Spotify anyways.

This. I get Spotify Premium for 5€ (50% off) as a student. If such thing doesn't exist for Apple Music (or whatever it will be called), it has to be pretty good to make me pay double the price.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA

I can. Add the ability to save music like in spotify and curate playlists like in spotify but on iTunes along side my music that is ripped and purchased? Thats a huge win. I still use iTunes only to manage my music and then sync it to spotify. I don't want two apps, just one. But I want spotify's style, with iTunes. Merge the two functionality wise and you have a winner. I would drop spotify in a hurry if that came to fruition.

James Manesh

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014

That's ok.

With 'Apple Music', all they need to do is match Spotify's price and content (easy), and differentiate themselves with superior UX and exclusive content (that's in iTunes ballpark) while providing a seamless experience in their Apple ecosystem (what they are all about). This will be built in service for more than a billion iOS and OS X devices around the world, not to mention Windows and Android.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
iTunes Radio could've been far more successful if Apple made it more accessible. I know a lot of people at work who listen to Pandora using a web browser. Apple forces the user to download iTunes and submit their credit card. Talk about making things difficult.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
All of this, whatever its going to be, seems to be taking too long to happen.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
As long as Beats will be part of iTunes Match for iTunes Match customers than I all great for Beats if not screw Apple.

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
I just don't understand this

Why can Amazon & Spotify just launch worldwide and force the labels to tow the line yet Apple struggle to launch in two - just do it and make them sit up and take notice with the volume of business you will bring in. Stop messing about and sort it Apple.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014

As long as they tie it to their lame iTunes and iOS platforms, it will never be better than Spotify. Apple is too late to the game, not to mention horrible at services, to be any real threat to Spotify.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Apple's Beats Music and iTunes Radio streaming services are available in a limited number of countries

This is misleading... isn't it only available in 2 countries.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
As long as Beats will be part of iTunes Match for iTunes Match customers than I all great for Beats if not screw Apple.

Yeah. It wouldn't make sense to pay $24.99 a year for iTunes Match service and ad-free iTunes Radio and then pay $9.99 a month for Apple Music streaming service. When they should intergrate everything for a nice reasonable price. They should just remove the 25,000 limit cap, seriously. I reckon they won't tho.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011

Off the top of my head? Bake it into the OS X and get rid of its dependence on iTunes being open. I generally have safari active, so another tab doesn't tax my resources much. iTunes on the other hand...

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Does this mean that Apple is out to rig the music streaming markets in more countries?

I guess no more freemium for the Russians, either....

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Would one single service be more better than a host of multiple services: Beats Music, iTunes Radio ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.