Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How long has your Caudabe: The Veil XT lasted before a replacement?

• 1-3 weeks

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • 1-3 months

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Still going strong, no need for a replacement

Votes: 13 36.1%

• Total voters

XRichard23

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2015
A few days here before I got a replacement. Volume and power button parts never bowed but the case scratched incredibly easily. My plain band wedding ring slightly grazing it caused scratches and it's doesn't even have sharp edges. Headphone jack opening also cracked. I've been more careful not to use the phone in my left hand and it's been better. The $.50 knockoffs from chine hold up much better but they aren't as smooth a finish of course, and they have the open bottom and no camera ring protection. Beautiful beautiful case but it's not for married guys I guess lol. I'll probably try a slickwrap and hope it works when I want to put my rhino shield on occasionally.

Mactaculious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
A few days here before I got a replacement. Volume and power button parts never bowed but the case scratched incredibly easily. My plain band wedding ring slightly grazing it caused scratches and it's doesn't even have sharp edges. Headphone jack opening also cracked. I've been more careful not to use the phone in my left hand and it's been better. The $.50 knockoffs from chine hold up much better but they aren't as smooth a finish of course, and they have the open bottom and no camera ring protection. Beautiful beautiful case but it's not for married guys I guess lol. I'll probably try a slickwrap and hope it works when I want to put my rhino shield on occasionally.

I am starting to see a surface crack (can't tell if it's cracked through or not) by the power cut-out on the side where the headphone jack is, looking to see if this grows over time. It's been a week.

Mactaculious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
Spoke too soon, I experienced the headphone jack crack as you mentioned while taking it off. :(

Last edited:

r0ll0

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
Anyone accidentally dropped their iPhones with this case and broke it? I've had a few close calls. It's pretty slippery.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012

Ditch the wedding ring! j/k

I don't wear jewelry and I take special care of my phone. My phone is either in my pocket or sitting on a mouse pad. My case has scratches all over the back. I assume it is from my fingernail (I have short fingernails) grazing it when pulling it out of my pocket. These cases are very easily scratched. I also had the Spigen air skin and it scratched just as easily.

My first case lasted about a month before the volume section started bowing. The new version has support and it seems to hold up better. These cases aren't made to be taken off too much otherwise they will become loose.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Ditch the wedding ring! j/k

I don't wear jewelry and I take special care of my phone. My phone is either in my pocket or sitting on a mouse pad. My case has scratches all over the back. I assume it is from my fingernail (I have short fingernails) grazing it when pulling it out of my pocket. These cases are very easily scratched. I also had the Spigen air skin and it scratched just as easily.

My first case lasted about a month before the volume section started bowing. The new version has support and it seems to hold up better. These cases aren't made to be taken off too much otherwise they will become loose.

I've been using these Caudabe cases since iPhone 5 and you're exactly right. They'll scratch easily. I don't really mind because it still looks great and the feel of the case is unbeatable. But, if you're super OCD, this is not the case for you. You also damn sure better not buy these cases for durability (and I don't know why you would given how thin they are). I'm glad Caudabe so willingly sends out replacements as the case wouldn't be nearly as good of a value if they didn't. As it is, I just keep coming back to this case and contact Caudabe if something goes wrong. It just feels like the case just molds itself around and becomes part of the phone. I've tried using thicker cases but that invariably lasts just a few days before I go back to my Veil.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Fortunately both Apple and Caudabe are great about honoring their warranty - I've actually had my iPhone replaced more times than my Veil! Anyway, I love my Veil XT. Can't use any other case and have probably converted more than 10 people, who almost all love it. But it's interesting observing these people because clearly the Veil is a case more suitable for certain people than for others. Most have no issues and love how beautiful and ridiculously thin the case is. But then there are others who just continue to have issues every couple of months. I'm not sure if it's just the type of environment they're putting their phones in or the way they handle their phones.

I would say that the Veil XT is slightly more prone to damage than the "regular" Veil because of the extra strip at the bottom. And I do miss the semi-lip of the regular Veil. But you really can't beat how the XT looks. I have the blue one and it looks stunning on my iPhone.

charis1113

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Fortunately both Apple and Caudabe are great about honoring their warranty - I've actually had my iPhone replaced more times than my Veil! Anyway, I love my Veil XT. Can't use any other case and have probably converted more than 10 people, who almost all love it. But it's interesting observing these people because clearly the Veil is a case more suitable for certain people than for others. Most have no issues and love how beautiful and ridiculously thin the case is. But then there are others who just continue to have issues every couple of months. I'm not sure if it's just the type of environment they're putting their phones in or the way they handle their phones.

I would say that the Veil XT is slightly more prone to damage than the "regular" Veil because of the extra strip at the bottom. And I do miss the semi-lip of the regular Veil. But you really can't beat how the XT looks. I have the blue one and it looks stunning on my iPhone.

you have the blue xt? could you post some pictures please? :)

r0ll0

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
Due to a lack of a front lip for the screen, anyone (that doesn't use a screen protector) scratch up their screen?

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
you have the blue xt? could you post some pictures please? :)

I'm going to take the lazy way out and tell you that it looks exactly the photos on the caudabe website. I think I saw a YouTube review with the blue one too. Just do a search. It's a beautiful shade of blue. I like how you can still see the back of the iPhone too.

Mactaculious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014

It almost guaranteed to tear right where the bottom volume hole meets the lip and where the volume/mute switch is. The plastic there is so thin, the slightest twist in the wrong direction will cause a rip.

----------

Due to a lack of a front lip for the screen, anyone (that doesn't use a screen protector) scratch up their screen?

I'd say it'll be inevitable if you're not using a screen protector with the lack of a lip in the front of the case.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
It almost guaranteed to tear right where the bottom volume hole meets the lip and where the volume/mute switch is. The plastic there is so thin, the slightest twist in the wrong direction will cause a rip.

It's definitely thin where the headphone jack is, but I just go really slowly when I'm putting it on or taking it off (and I don't really take it off much at all). It's been holding up fine so far. Still by far my case of choice. Using a case that's any thicker just feels odd to me now.

r0ll0

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
It's definitely thin where the headphone jack is, but I just go really slowly when I'm putting it on or taking it off (and I don't really take it off much at all). It's been holding up fine so far. Still by far my case of choice. Using a case that's any thicker just feels odd to me now.

Still it's pretty bad if you can't take it off without running the risk of breaking it. Terrible. It seems that the case is more fragile than the iPhone itself which it's supposed to protect.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Anyone with slippery drop issues? I noticed mine is pretty slippery.

The case is definitely slippery and adds zero grip to the phone. I never use this case outside the house because I'm paranoid it will slip out of my hands.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Still it's pretty bad if you can't take it off without running the risk of breaking it. Terrible. It seems that the case is more fragile than the iPhone itself which it's supposed to protect.

Guess it's just not meant for you then. Granted, this case isn't for everyone. I've had no issues with it nor have the friends or family I've either recommended it to or bought it for. then again, we're all sort of the types who don't particularly like cases and just want scratch protection. It does that job perfectly and looks beautiful doing it which is why I continue to use it.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Guess it's just not meant for you then. Granted, this case isn't for everyone. I've had no issues with it nor have the friends or family I've either recommended it to or bought it for. then again, we're all sort of the types who don't particularly like cases and just want scratch protection. It does that job perfectly and looks beautiful doing it which is why I continue to use it.

Right. I've had a couple of accidents with mine in the past couple of years, but Caudabe always swapped out replacements for me really quickly. And I also knew going in that I wanted a case that was super thin and would just let me do things like place my phone on a countertop without fear of picking up scratches. That's exactly what the Veil is for and I haven't found a better substitute out there. But I can appreciate that these thin cases aren't for everyone and I think for some people it's like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

As for durability, all I can say is the Veil is a heck of a bargain compared to those stupid Power Support Air Jackets, which are more than 2x the price of the Veil and not nearly as thin. You literally cannot even take off the Power Support without without breaking it, that's how tight it snaps on. I paid $35 at the Apple Store for the case and it was broken the next day. But, I digress......

r0ll0

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
I wish the Veil XT would have a slight lip in the front and it would be perfect for me.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
My problem with the Veil or the S. Slim is that the thin areas over the volume and/or over the sleep button start bulging outwards. I keep them till it gets too annoying then change. FWIW, the Veil seems a little better in this respect than the S. Slim.

Mactaculious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2014
My problem with the Veil or the S. Slim is that the thin areas over the volume and/or over the sleep button start bulging outwards. I keep them till it gets too annoying then change. FWIW, the Veil seems a little better in this respect than the S. Slim.

Is this with the redesigned volume button area where instead of using one cut-out piece they opted for individual button cut-outs?

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Is this with the redesigned volume button area where instead of using one cut-out piece they opted for individual button cut-outs?

I have both versions, so had a chance to compare. The new version helps a lot around the volume button area. Little or no deformation. Still a bulge near the sleep button, however.

I use the case a little differently than most do . . . I put the phone in the case and then stick it to a Nuova Pella Stand Up case from Vaja. I really like this combo--it's my favorite case so far. I use it in landscape on a lot of flights, tables, etc. Use my iPad correspondingly less!!

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
I have the XT in clear, black, blue and teal. Love them all. Currently using the clear.

One thing about these cases is because of the material they will mark easily... Black seems to mark easiest for me which is a shame because it looks fantastic again a silver 6

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I have the XT in clear, black, blue and teal. Love them all. Currently using the clear.

One thing about these cases is because of the material they will mark easily... Black seems to mark easiest for me which is a shame because it looks fantastic again a silver 6

How does the blue look on the silver. Care to share pics? : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.