Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its system status page to reflect ongoing issues with eleven iCloud-related services: Back to My Mac, Documents in the Cloud, iCloud Account & Sign In, iCloud Backup, iCloud Drive, iCloud Keychain, iCloud Mail, iMovie Theater, iWork for iCloud Beta, Photos and Find My iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac. The services have been affected since around 12 AM Pacific.

iCloud-System-Status-May.png
iCloud is having issues since 3:11 AM EDT. http://t.co/z2kUNXWrcN RT if it s down for you as well #iclouddown - DownDetector (@downdetector) May 21, 2015
Multiple users have turned to Twitter and the MacRumors discussion forums to confirm the issues, which range from services running slow for some users to being down entirely for others. The issues follow a prolonged iTunes and App Store outage in early March and lengthy iTunes Connect and TestFlight downtime for developers earlier this month.

Update 7:05 AM Pacific: Apple's services are now restored per its system status page.

Article Link: iCloud, Mail, Photos and Other Apple Services Experiencing Issues [Updated]

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The beauty of having local files means when the cloud messes up, you still can get on with work.

It's why I prefer Apple's cloud computing solution to Google's Chrome OS.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple, if your service can run as stable as Microsoft office 365 (this one also have issues occasionally), this could be really great, really great.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Meh, i'm having issue with imessage in yosemite shows blank conversation.

RakEgg

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
iCloud Duh !!

Why would anyone be so stupid as to rely on their stuff in the "cloud". Great marketing point for the big tech companies but silly when it comes to control and security. The word for personal computers is just that, "personal" not Apple's or Google's or MS's or uncle Tom Cobbly's.

Keep it sure, keep it local and show the world the finger.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Do you ever hear about such issues with Google, with Dropbox, with Spotify, with Microsoft and others? Almost never. I use many different services many years, but it is ONLY Apple services that are regularly down, slow or otherwise affected.

What the hell is wrong with Apple - the richest and most "innovative" tech company, that it just can't seem to create and maintain reliable cloud services?!? :confused:

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
I reported this to Apple at 8am this morning (GMT). The Apple Support guy didn't know anything was wrong, then he tried his own internal apple account and that was down too... he was stumped!

It was fixed for me about 12noon

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Why would anyone be so stupid as to rely on their stuff in the "cloud". Great marketing point for the big tech companies but silly when it comes to control and security. The word for personal computers is just that, "personal" not Apple's or Google's or MS's or uncle Tom Cobbly's.

Come on now, you can't really be upset at people for using something that Apple heavily advertises. I'm not sure why you're being critical of the consumer and not of Apple's shoddy maintenance ...

Last edited:

bobbykjack

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
London
A few of the reasons

Why would anyone be so stupid as to rely on their stuff in the "cloud".

- Easier to share documents / work collaboratively.

- Documents available on any machine

- Data is safe even if hard-drive dies, laptop is stolen, etc.

- Software always up-to-date

- Save money on software / local storage costs

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
dropbox FTW

Buy them already!

It was my understanding that Apple kept all of their servers in-house. Meaning even if they bought Dropbox, they'd likely migrate the service to their own servers but after that, what are you left with? Does Dropbox really have any patents or valuable assets of interest to Apple?

macducky313

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014

spare us all your rant with the global internet world and climb under a rock where you belong.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
It was my understanding that Apple kept all of their servers in-house. Meaning even if they bought Dropbox, they'd likely migrate the service to their own servers but after that, what are you left with? Does Dropbox really have any patents or valuable assets of interest to Apple?

They have clue :)

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Does Dropbox really have any patents or valuable assets of interest to Apple?

It's the best cloud storage solution that works amazingly well. No other cloud storage company comes close so Dropbox are in a league of their own.

If they were acquired by another company then it would be a very sad day for us paying Dropbox customers. Apple would ruin all the hard work they have done to build such a good service!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wouldn't it have been better to just say "all related iCloud Services".....

Lot of yellow......oh yea... Look like allot of services may be slow too :)

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014

iCloud Drive keeps files local.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Apple does many things right, services is not one of those. That is my one concern with having my data held in the cloud by Apple, trust that they know what they are doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.