Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've had previous rumors suggesting Apple is working on split-screen multitasking capabilities for the iPad, and hints of the feature are buried within iOS 8, but thus far multitasking has not made its way into the hands of customers. In a post covering information on future iPad upgrades, 9to5Mac confirms split-screen multitasking is still in the works and on schedule to be released as part of iOS 9.

Split-screen multitasking will display two apps side-by-side on the iPad's screen or two views of the same app, allowing users to see multiple documents in Pages at the same time, for example. As was first discovered in code buried within iOS 8, apps will be able to be arranged in multiple views, covering 1/2, 1/3, and 2/3 of the screen in the latest iteration.

Concept for split-screen multitasking (not based on specific rumors)
9to5Mac warns that though the split-screen multitasking feature is slated for inclusion in iOS 9, it could be removed before the update's debut at the Worldwide Developers Conference if it is not ready in time as it was originally developed for the upcoming "iPad Pro." 9to5Mac previously said the multi-tasking feature would be included in iOS 8.

Apple is also said to be working on a highly anticipated feature that customers have requested for years -- multi-user login support. This will allow multiple users to have unique profiles on a single iPad, with individual access to apps and documents. Multi-user support will not be ready when iOS 9 launches in the fall, but it could be released later in 2015 alongside the iPad Pro or in 2016.

Both split-screen multitasking and multi-user login support are features that will be added to Apple's rumored larger-screened 12-inch iPad Pro, which may also include features like a USB-C port, a stylus, and a pressure-sensitive Force Touch display. The tablet, internally numbered "J98" and "J99" to represent Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular models, will launch in late 2015, according to the latest rumors. Apple is said to be working to finish software and source hardware components for the device.
Sources have confirmed that Apple is testing jumbo-sized iPads internally codenamed "J98´´ and "J99," which are apparently larger versions of the Wi-Fi-only and Wi-Fi + Cellular iPad Air 2, save for additional speaker holes.
Given the large size of the iPad Pro's display, some apps may be redesigned to accommodate the larger screen real estate available on the 12-inch tablet, with Apple rumored to be working on new designs for Siri and Notification Center. Features tailored to the iPad Pro could work in the same way as features tailored to the iPhone 6 Plus, which has a unique layout in landscape mode to account for a larger display size.

Article Link: Apple Working on Split-Screen Multitasking, Multi-User Support for iPad

TheLastOfConnor

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
Finally! Split-screen would literally make my iPad experience complete. I just want to be able to watch a YouTube video and browse the web at once without using some ugly, ad-filled app.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Please do it, Apple! These things would make me upgrade my iPad 2 in a heartbeat. The software has been lagging behind in the iOS iPad variant.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
At last! I tried a 3rd party split screen jailbreak plugin and whilst it was good it wasn't quite up to scratch, although this is forgiven as it is still in beta IIRC.

So glad Apple are finally doing something about this :D

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Looks like iOS 9 will cover the software side of the iPad-as-a-pro-machine, and the iPad Pro will cover the hardware flaws.

I hope by "stability and optimisations" the update turns out to include "optimisations for iPad" as I know many people are dissatisfied by iOS's lack of ability to offer benefits on a larger display.

Also, how long until Samsung fans (or Samsung in an ad) accuse Apple of coping the split screen feature? Even though. Y'know. Windows 8, announced before iOS 5.

Last edited:

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
I actually think Apple may need to spill the beans on this at WWDC even though it would be a stronger reveal to coincide with the iPad Pro. Developers will need to prepare unless Apple was clever enough to fully support this without changes to apps. The other tricky spot is how Apple might introduce the idea of new layouts for apps before the iPad Pro is released. Not to mention stylus support if it is indeed coming.

Traditionally, Apple would wait and package it all up for the big new iPad reveal, but there has been some more transparency lately and maybe, unlikely as it is, we could see the confluence of Pro expectations and developer friendliness give us real usable information half a year from the release or complete reveal of the iPad Pro.

Yeah, probably not. ;)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So iPad Pro will have:
  • 12.9-inch screen
  • Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular versions
  • USB port
  • Split-screen multitasking
  • Multi-user login
  • Keyboard attachment option

So the question is, how much? 16GB iPad Air 2 starts at $500, but with "Pro" moniker, I am guessing the entry level iPad Pro will be equipped with 64GB. So minimum starting price will likely be $700 for Wi-Fi 64GB iPad Pro, going up to $1030 for 256GB Wi-Fi + Cellular configuration.

That is awfully close to 12-inch MacBook ($1300 with Wi-Fi and 256GB, in contrast to my estimate of $900 for 256GB Wi-Fi version), especially if one adds keyboard attachment smart cover/case (which will easily cost at least $100).

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Just adding a stylus won't work for the ipad pro; imo thats a weak idea and will be telling of Apples post jobs ingenuity. i'd like to see some sort of os x, ios hybrid.

My surface pro 3 is where its at right now for work. For media consumption, still cant beat my ipad air 2. I carry both when i travel, they still weigh less then my old MBP which was a back ache to lug around the airport.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Split-screen multitasking would be huge. There is so much added utility in having 2 apps running side by side rather than having to switch back and forth between the same two apps. Something as simple as making a list from information in another app/window would be so improved by being able to keep the list-making app on screen while using the source of information to influence the list. Same with calendar stuff, email, trip planning, etc. This would be a HUGE positive step for iOS on iPads. I hope it happens.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
This is a step in the right direction. It'll take many more before iPad becomes useful enough to replace a laptop.

IMO there needs to be a much more robust OS for iPad, something in between OS X and iOS. Needs to be much closer to OS X, otherwise like many have stated before iPad will continue to be nothing more than iPhone with a slightly larger screen.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Could this finally mean increased sized folders on springboard? The current size would look ridiculous on a Larger iPad.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Better late than never, I guess.

----------

So iPad Pro will have:
  • 12.9-inch screen
  • Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular versions
  • USB port
  • Split-screen multitasking
  • Multi-user login
  • Keyboard attachment option

So the question is, how much? 16GB iPad Air 2 starts at $500, but with "Pro" moniker, I am guessing the entry level iPad Pro will be equipped with 64GB. So minimum starting price will likely be $700 for Wi-Fi 64GB iPad Pro, going up to $1030 for 256GB Wi-Fi + Cellular configuration.

That is awfully close to 12-inch MacBook ($1300 with Wi-Fi and 256GB, in contrast to my estimate of $900 for 256GB Wi-Fi version), especially if one adds keyboard attachment smart cover/case (which will easily cost at least $100).

If they're going that high, I'd just get a Surface Pro and then never have to deal with all the inherent limitations placed on the device by Apple.

ddelapp

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
I can see them using Force Touch to open a multi-tasking screen. This seems like a simple interface that would reduce the amount of steps. The problem it will be a "new iPad" only feature.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
I can see them using Force Touch to open a multi-tasking screen. This seems like a simple interface that would reduce the amount of steps. The problem it will be a "new iPad" only feature.

Or a 6 1/2 finger gesture on the older ones ;)

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Looks good, not sure why they waited so long. Why do I get that feeling that it will only be available on the iPad Pro?

Because you know that's exactly what Apple is gonna do, to help "distinguish" it from the other two iPad models. *ugh*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.