Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatandlazy11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Depends on my mood
I just recently (this weekend) went into an Apple store for the first time. Really neat, I gotta admit, as this was my first time to see the computers in real life. Some were-lets just say "bigger" then I expected. I mean, granted, I knew the iMac 20" was going to be big. But when I saw the Powermac G5, I was astounded at the size. I guess to be a top of the line computer, you have to be really freakin big.-Big guy was kinda noisey too. Does-did anyone else think the Powermac G5 was big upon first encounter?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Not upon my first site of the Powermac G5 however when i opened it up and put it in my room. All i said was "**** this thing is huge"

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Not at first, but when transporting it in my small two door convertible (my only car, a Fiat Barchetta) when going to friends for a LAN party. This monster doesn't fit in my car! Doesn't fit in the boot (is only 40 x 40 cm), so I have to cramp it behind the passenger seat and put my 20" old Apple CRT on the seat. It just fits.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
It barely fit in my Honda Civic.

It does get loud when it is working hard. I usually keep the processor performance to "Automatic" unless I am doing heavy-duty graphics work - seems to help with the fan noise.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The PC I had when I got my G5 was just as big, so I wasn't surprised. When I opened it up though I was like "Holy **** that heat sink is big!" lol

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
it is quite large, though not abnormally so. I guess I'm unique in that I thought it was very quiet, though I only run in 'Reduced' mode

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
My first G5 (a single 1.8GHz) was very quiet. After that I have only had duals and they are much louder, obviously.

I was surprised by the size of the machine but I was more surprised by its weight. It should come with its own dolly.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
trogdor! said:
I just wish with its size came more "official" SATA 3.5 drive bays.
I bet the Intel Power Macs get redesigned. The main reason for the current layout is to effectively control heat output from the G5's. Since the Conroe chips should be much more efficient, Apple should have more room for internal drives and the like.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I had my first visit at the mac store about a week ago. While I was specifically looking at the mbp's, I looked at everything. And that powermac just looked huge to me too! It looked like it weighted more than I do!

Jason Bourne

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2005
trogdor! said:
I just wish with its size came more "official" SATA 3.5 drive bays.

I got my G5 in December so by that point I had seen many G5s (even dad had had a few by then) but when I first set it up, I was still surprised at how much bigger it was than my old Sawtooth G4. It wouldn't fit in my CPU tower piece of furniture (piece of my desk basically). I had to throw the desk in the basement and for the first time ever run the computer simply sitting on the floor. It's mainly quite a biut taller than the G4 was, but I think it's also significantly deeper.

As trogdor mentioned, though, it's annoying to only be able to fit 2 drives in there. I have the original 250GB drive sitting on a shelf since I installed two Maxtors.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
topgunn said:
I was surprised by the size of the machine but I was more surprised by its weight. It should come with its own dolly.

Yeah...Got mine last December and had a tough time cramming it into my Mit. Eclipse! Not to mention the weight!

Though huge and heavy, the G5 rocks in performance!

Jason Bourne

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2005
Speaking of size, I had a hard time getting my 30" ACD home in my 350Z - it comes in a HUGE box - had to get creative with the seat arrangements. The G5 came from Apple directly so I never had to take it in the car, but if I had tried to buy the G5 and ACD at a store, there's no way I could have gotten both home in one trip in the Z.

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
Why? And what do you do that reduced mode is adequate? Reduced mode on my iMac G5 2.1GHz w/2.5GB RAM is unusable. Automatic is annoying, but workable. High is the only way I can get work done.

kwajo.com said:
it is quite large, though not abnormally so. I guess I'm unique in that I thought it was very quiet, though I only run in 'Reduced' mode

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
kwajo.com said:

Why in the world would you drop the money for a PowerMac G5 and run it in reduced when you could have probably just gotten an iMac and leave it on automatic for the same speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.