Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:09 PM   #1
fatandlazy11
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to fatandlazy11
Powermac G5 size

I just recently (this weekend) went into an Apple store for the first time. Really neat, I gotta admit, as this was my first time to see the computers in real life. Some were-lets just say "bigger" then I expected. I mean, granted, I knew the iMac 20" was going to be big. But when I saw the Powermac G5, I was astounded at the size. I guess to be a top of the line computer, you have to be really freakin big.-Big guy was kinda noisey too. Does-did anyone else think the Powermac G5 was big upon first encounter?
fatandlazy11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:11 PM   #2
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
Not upon my first site of the Powermac G5 however when i opened it up and put it in my room. All i said was "**** this thing is huge"
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:14 PM   #3
Dreadnought
macrumors 68000

Not at first, but when transporting it in my small two door convertible (my only car, a Fiat Barchetta) when going to friends for a LAN party. This monster doesn't fit in my car! Doesn't fit in the boot (is only 40 x 40 cm), so I have to cramp it behind the passenger seat and put my 20" old Apple CRT on the seat. It just fits.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:16 PM   #4
iGary

It barely fit in my Honda Civic.

It does get loud when it is working hard. I usually keep the processor performance to "Automatic" unless I am doing heavy-duty graphics work - seems to help with the fan noise.
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:16 PM   #5
liketom
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to liketom
yeah my first words when i got my dual power was ******* that is one big mumma
liketom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:17 PM   #6
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

The PC I had when I got my G5 was just as big, so I wasn't surprised. When I opened it up though I was like "Holy **** that heat sink is big!" lol
Chaszmyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:18 PM   #7
kwajo.com
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to kwajo.com Send a message via MSN to kwajo.com
it is quite large, though not abnormally so. I guess I'm unique in that I thought it was very quiet, though I only run in 'Reduced' mode
Old Mar 23, 2006, 09:04 AM   #8
topgunn
macrumors 65816

My first G5 (a single 1.8GHz) was very quiet. After that I have only had duals and they are much louder, obviously.

I was surprised by the size of the machine but I was more surprised by its weight. It should come with its own dolly.
topgunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:52 AM   #9
trogdor!
macrumors regular

I just wish with its size came more "official" SATA 3.5 drive bays.
trogdor! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:46 AM   #10
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor!
I bet the Intel Power Macs get redesigned. The main reason for the current layout is to effectively control heat output from the G5's. Since the Conroe chips should be much more efficient, Apple should have more room for internal drives and the like.
topgunn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 07:51 AM   #11
celebrian23
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to celebrian23
I had my first visit at the mac store about a week ago. While I was specifically looking at the mbp's, I looked at everything. And that powermac just looked huge to me too! It looked like it weighted more than I do!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:11 PM   #12
Jason Bourne
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor!
I got my G5 in December so by that point I had seen many G5s (even dad had had a few by then) but when I first set it up, I was still surprised at how much bigger it was than my old Sawtooth G4. It wouldn't fit in my CPU tower piece of furniture (piece of my desk basically). I had to throw the desk in the basement and for the first time ever run the computer simply sitting on the floor. It's mainly quite a biut taller than the G4 was, but I think it's also significantly deeper.

As trogdor mentioned, though, it's annoying to only be able to fit 2 drives in there. I have the original 250GB drive sitting on a shelf since I installed two Maxtors.
Jason Bourne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:18 PM   #13
Eevee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgunn
I was surprised by the size of the machine but I was more surprised by its weight. It should come with its own dolly.

Yeah...Got mine last December and had a tough time cramming it into my Mit. Eclipse! Not to mention the weight!

Though huge and heavy, the G5 rocks in performance!

15.4" Powerbook G4, 1.5 GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9700,
Eevee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:25 PM   #14
Some_Big_Spoon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Some_Big_Spoon
And Heavy! The aluminum is nice, but man, it weighs a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva01
Not upon my first site of the Powermac G5 however when i opened it up and put it in my room. All i said was "**** this thing is huge"
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:28 PM   #15
Jason Bourne
macrumors member

Speaking of size, I had a hard time getting my 30" ACD home in my 350Z - it comes in a HUGE box - had to get creative with the seat arrangements. The G5 came from Apple directly so I never had to take it in the car, but if I had tried to buy the G5 and ACD at a store, there's no way I could have gotten both home in one trip in the Z.
Jason Bourne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 04:29 PM   #16
Some_Big_Spoon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Some_Big_Spoon
Why? And what do you do that reduced mode is adequate? Reduced mode on my iMac G5 2.1GHz w/2.5GB RAM is unusable. Automatic is annoying, but workable. High is the only way I can get work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo.com
it is quite large, though not abnormally so. I guess I'm unique in that I thought it was very quiet, though I only run in 'Reduced' mode
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:02 PM   #17
jrk07
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jrk07
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo.com
Why in the world would you drop the money for a PowerMac G5 and run it in reduced when you could have probably just gotten an iMac and leave it on automatic for the same speed.
jrk07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:22 PM   #18
dmw007
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Big_Spoon
And Heavy! The aluminum is nice, but man, it weighs a ton.
The aluminum may make the Power Mac G5 a tad on the heavy side, but I would not have it any other way.
dmw007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs