Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Chakery

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Hello,

I need to purchase a Router for my home usage, and I am stuck between AirPort Extreme and D-Link AC1200.

Would you please tell me if AirPort Ex. supports NTFS formatted storage devices through the USB port ?
D-Link supports both NTFS and MAC J.

Thank you

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you for the reply,

Thats sad since I wanted to purchase AirPort Ex.

Anyways it seems that this time D-Link is more promissing....

Why do you need to Airport Extreme to support NTFS? Windows will just see it as a networked drive you can access no matter what format it is in.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Even if the AE handled NTFS, you would be limited to a USB 2 connection. I believe that the D-Link may have USB 3 which is vastly faster than USB 2.

I might suggest you take an opportunity to check out smallnetbuilder site which has ample reviews of various routers along with some quantitative tests.

Hope you find a router that suits your needs.

A.Chakery

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Why do you need to Airport Extreme to support NTFS? Windows will just see it as a networked drive you can access no matter what format it is in.

Well I didn't know this but currently my hard drives are formatted in NTFS... And it would be so hard to reformat them to mac j. In other hand I do not have any windows os which means the only problem at the moment is formatting the hard drives.

Thank you again

----------

Even if the AE handled NTFS, you would be limited to a USB 2 connection. I believe that the D-Link may have USB 3 which is vastly faster than USB 2.

I might suggest you take an opportunity to check out smallnetbuilder site which has ample reviews of various routers along with some quantitative tests.

Hope you find a router that suits your needs.
You have got a good point here since the router which I am planning to purchase is AC1200 DIR-860L which supports USB3 ... but we can not ignore the features that AE provides with an apple device.

I am really confused ...

A.Chakery

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Vienna, Austria
OK since I decided to go with apple would you please tell if windows or linux operating systems will be able to Read and write to the hard drive which is connected to AE ?

And would you please tell me if it would be possible to store my Musics or PDF files on the connected hard drive then use it on my iPhone or iPad ?

Thank you

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OK since I decided to go with apple would you please tell if windows or linux operating systems will be able to Read and write to the hard drive which is connected to AE ?

Yes. Linux and Windows will both be able to see the drive as a shared drive and read/write to it.

And would you please tell me if it would be possible to store my Musics or PDF files on the connected hard drive then use it on my iPhone or iPad ?

You won't be able to see those things from the iPad to iPhone natively. I think there are some third party utilities that will allow this, but I am not familiar with them.

A.Chakery

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Yes. Linux and Windows will both be able to see the drive as a shared drive and read/write to it.

You won't be able to see those things from the iPad to iPhone natively. I think there are some third party utilities that will allow this, but I am not familiar with them.
Thank you all for the help.
Finally I purchased AirPort Extreme.

Regarding the iPhone and iPad app, I found this app which seems to be promising but personally I have not tested it yet:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.