Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarDal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Did Back to the Future 2 predict Apple Pay? (see the 2015 scene "save the Clock Tower') (yes, that was sarcastic)

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Not just Apple Pay.

Marty: Right now!? It's pouring rain!
<Doc checks his watch>
Doc: Wait 5 more seconds.
<rain stops 5 seconds later>

Clearly, Doc has an Apple Watch SS with Link Bracelet and the Dark Sky app.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not just Apple Pay.

Marty: Right now!? It's pouring rain!
<Doc checks his watch>
Doc: Wait 5 more seconds.
<rain stops 5 seconds later>

Clearly, Doc has an Apple Watch SS with Link Bracelet and the Dark Sky app.
Although the implication was somewhat different there (at least as far as I can tell), that's certainly an interesting take on it as well.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
this movie always makes me laugh. they predicted the craziest things yet their tvs were still bulky as f.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
BTTF2 also predicted that the Cubs will win the World Series in 2015, in a game 7 sweep, against Miami.

At the time the movie was made, Miami didn't have a team. Today Miami does have an MLB team. So that prediction has come true.

Miami and Chicago Cubs are in the same league, so they can't face each other in the World Series. So at least this year, that part cannot come true.

Also, it's been debated what was meant by a game 7 sweep, as mentioned in the movie. If it's a sweep and they played to game 7, that implies it was a best of 11 series. While baseball is long today, I can't imagine even the world series being expanded to 11-game series. Thus, at least this year, this part also cannot come true. It could have meant that the Cubs were down 0-3, and then came back to win 4 games in a row and the series in game 7. I think traditionalists wouldn't call this a sweep though, more of a mega come-back (Sox 2004 ALCS!!)

All that said, it is still possible for the Cubs to win the World Series - and that prediction coming true alone would be quite an amazing coincidence. Although it's still early in the season, the Cubs are doing pretty well and at this rate might very well make the playoffs.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
7 game sweep means you have a 13 game series (just over half). That would be some series. Now the Cubs winning the World Series?? Don't think so. :cool:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If we are going down that route, the movie also predicted flying cars (and in particularly publicly available ones), along with hover boards, and quite a few other things. Still, you have to admit, for looking 30 years into the future, they did at least a half-decent job (not that they needed to do anything really realistic anyway for a fictional movie).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.