Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Lately I've been attracted to the Mac Mini to replace my office PC (mini itx with Haswell quad core) since it is so small. My use is strictly office work- MS office and my case management software. It will be connected to my server PC and won't be running any demanding applications. I will be running Bootcamp always, never OS X. I am very familiar with Mac / Bootcamp, I own a rMBP currently as my primary laptop. My question is, is the Mac Mini capable of being powered on 24/7 - it will never be turned off since I would log in remotely to it when out of the office. Does anyone here own one and leave it on 24/7 without issue? Thanks!

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
My question is, is the Mac Mini capable of being powered on 24/7 - it will never be turned off since I would log in remotely to it when out of the office. Does anyone here own one and leave it on 24/7 without issue? Thanks!
Yes, of course. That actual goes for any computer.

The Mini is super energy-efficient, so it won't suck up very much electricity even when idling (6W according to Apple).

It's a great little computer - enjoy!

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
It will be connected to my server PC and won't be running any demanding applications. I will be running Bootcamp always, never OS X.

It's a horrible waste not to use OS X... Why not run Windows on say Parallels if you're not doing anything very demanding - then you can have both running at once. I've got both XP and 8.1 running as virtual machines on my 2012 Mini to run some Windows only software and also to use Internet Explorer for cases where Mac browsers fall down and performance is good.

M.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I own a Mac mini, late 2012 model, and leave it powered on all the time. I've not seen any issues with this practice in almost a year of use.

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Does anyone here own one and leave it on 24/7 without issue? Thanks!

I have a mini at home and one at work. The one at home started as a G4, and is currently a Late 2012 quardcore i7. The one at work is the previous home machine, currently a Mid 2010. That one has been running 24/7 since june 2010. I regularly change drives for bigger ones, but the rest is original.

The home one is running a bunch of VM's with mailservers and websites, my satellite TV, music and general desktop use, the one at work is running triple 1080p screens so I can herd a bunch of linux machines.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
My mini, a late 2012 i5 has been on 24/7 since I purchased it new.
Through an EyeTV HD box it is my personal video recording device and my daily driver for all things internet related.
Nary a hiccup since the beginning, only powered off for version and system upgrades.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Hmm, I will check out small PCs as well, thanks for the link. Thing is I already have the mini itx build so I'd just keep it if I don't get the Mac Mini. I have to run Windows because my case management software is Windows only, but yeah I could use Parallels and get the benefits of OS X as well. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.