Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm trying to fill out my collection of G3/G4 era Apple displays and put out a "feeler" on the LEM Swap for the ones I'm missing.

MODS: I'm NOT soliciting buying here-just trying to get an idea of what is a fair price.

In any case, I'm looking for the following:

15" "Blueberry" LCD
21" "Blueberry"(or graphite) CRT
15" Acrylic LCD ADC
17" ADC CRT

I've had responses on a couple of these, with most people wanting in the $40-50 range plus shipping(not cheap, especially with the CRTs). I also had one response from someone who had all and was offended by my "package" offer of $150(+shipping) and countered with $500(+shipping).

I'm guessing a fair price lies somewhere between those two values. I'm not really that concerned about the 15" ADC, as those show up for sale all the time and know that they can be pretty reliably had for $40-$50(including shipping) on Ebay.

I don't have a lot to base my pricing on for the others, though. I know that the Blueberry LCD is quite scarce, and expect to likely have to pay a premium for that one.

I know the two CRTs aren't particularly common either, but to be blunt my observation is that the CRT market is effectively dead, as most people don't want to deal with the weight and power draw-especially the bigger ones. I want the ADC one because it's always fascinated me, and the 21" one because it is a high quality display that matches computers in my collection.

Any thoughts on(fair) values for the above? I don't want to short change someone, but also don't want pay too much. I have a feeling that the $500 package price was probably way too high, but could certainly be wrong.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Old Apple Displays-Price Advice

I'm trying to fill out my collection of G3/G4 era Apple displays and put out a "feeler" on the LEM Swap for the ones I'm missing.

MODS: I'm NOT soliciting buying here-just trying to get an idea of what is a fair price.

15" "Blueberry" LCD

15" Acrylic LCD ADC

17" ADC CRT

I've had responses on a couple of these, with most people wanting in the $40-50 range plus shipping(not cheap, especially with the CRTs). I also had one response from someone who had all and was offended by my "package" offer of $150(+shipping) and countered with $500(+shipping).

I'm guessing a fair price lies somewhere between those two values. I'm not really that concerned about the 15" ADC, as those show up for sale all the time and know that they can be pretty reliably had for $40-$50(including shipping) on Ebay.

I don't have a lot to base my pricing on for the others, though. I know that the Blueberry LCD is quite scarce, and expect to likely have to pay a premium for that one.

I know the two CRTs aren't particularly common either, but to be blunt my observation is that the CRT market is effectively dead, as most people don't want to deal with the weight and power draw-especially the bigger ones. I want the ADC one because it's always fascinated me, and the 21" one because it is a high quality display that matches computers in my collection.

Any thoughts on(fair) values for the above? I don't want to short change someone, but also don't want pay too much. I have a feeling that the $500 package price was probably way too high, but could certainly be wrong.

Well, I can hook you up with a "blueberry" CRT, but i have no clue how to ship it or how much it would cost to ship. Frankly, I'd give it to you for the cost of shipping because of how expensive that would be, or if anything maybe a little more to make a profit, but nothing as extreme as $500. It has no value to me being that it is sitting in storage at school. There is also a room of the graphite ones with those G4s I mentioned long ago. The problem is I have no clue how to put it into a box secure enough that it wouldn't break or get damaged in shipping.

Last edited:

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
21" CRT monitors... I don't even want want to know the shipping cost on one of those. You might be better off shipping via freight.

The 15" BlueBerry LCD monitors are super rare, I suspect your best bet is waiting to find someone selling one that has no idea what it is.

I see 15" ACD LCD's online for very cheap- $25-40 typically.

There is a 17" ACD CRT in the RI Craigslist for $55 I believe, which seems like a lot to me. It's the same guy who wants $150+ for 1.8 G5's. I imagine these will become harder and harder to find with time. I imagine most people just dump these. My school had a bunch of these back in the day, many of them were ruined with an abrasive cleaner. I always thought these were very cool.

I think the monitor you're really missing is the TAM LCD ;)

What was the $500 monitor?

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
A.Goldberg;21348000 I think the monitor you're really missing is the TAM LCD ;) What was the $500 monitor?[/QUOTE said:
Aren't we all...

And the 500 dollar monitor I believe was a 21in Blueberry/graphite monitor.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

15" "Blueberry" LCD
15" Acrylic LCD ADC
17" ADC CRT

The 21" is a monster. I actually have one in graphite to go with my G4 towers, and I would definitely dread having to pay for shipping one of those.

It is a very nice and hi-res display though, and matches the G4 towers nicely.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
What was the $500 monitor?

The $500 was for all four, but I still thought it was high.

And, yes, I dread thinking of shipping a 21" CRT. I helped clear out a lab at school a while back and moved about 10 of the(none Apple). I'd conservatively put them at 60-70lbs each. In retrospect, I probably should have grabbed one, but didn't want to deal with the weight. I passed on a 20" Apple Two-Page display a while back for the same reason(probably one of the best quality monochrome monitors ever made).

Although I've never had a "big" CRT(at least not in a monitor), I've used 17" Trinitrons before(the 21" studio has a Trinitron tube, while the 17" doesn't). Trinitrons are beautiful. In some ways, I still prefer a good CRT over an LCD/LED. There are certain colors that an LCD just can't get right. LEDs solve some of the dynamic range problems that LCDs have(since you can turn off the backlight in spots rather than just blacking out the pixel) but still don't have quite as much dynamic range as a high quality CRT. There's also what is effectively a 180º viewing angle in all directions on a CRT, and the fact that they generally look good at any resolution they are capable of displaying(there's no native resolution on a CRT, unlike an LCD). Even so, the size(especially depth), weight, and now the manufacturing cost relative to LCDs/LEDs make them a dead end.

I still want a nice 21" Blueberry to sit next to one of my B&Ws, though :)

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The blueberry LCD shouldn't be too hard to find if you're patient. Its probably the easiest to get compared to the graphite DVI model or the older dark blue version. Expect to pay around $80 total for one now. I've got 2 of them and a dark blue model as well. 2 of them have the adjustable stand, and the 3rd has the little kickstand. I don't recommend the kickstand at all.

21" CRT used to be a little easier to find online, but they're all dried up now. So little value in CRTs of any size much less one that weighs in at 77lbs, not many people who have one are going to bother! You might have better luck at settling for the 17" version. They were lots cheaper and their size and weight are more conducive for reselling. I've got a 17" (poor thing kicked the bucket) but it has a beautiful high resolution picture. Its still a great screen.

15" Acrylic ADC will be easy to find and maybe run you $35 total for shipping and buy. If you don't already have one, I'd highly recommend the 17 version of this display. The higher resolution is really a big advantage, and they are usually about the same cost or cheaper. Its also the lowest power drawing ADC display which may be easier on the Mac's PSU. I've got 2 17's and they're really REALLY nice. The 15" I used at work years back was good, but 1024x768 wasn't nearly as spacious as 1280x1024.

Clear ADC CRT is going to be similar to the 21" CRT. Heavy and CRT tech = double negative. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one, but it might have to be locally, or you're have to do a little driving.

Last edited:

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Old Apple Displays-Price Advice

I had a massive Dell Trinitron monitor with my Dell XPS T500. One of the most beautiful monitors I ever had, however, the thing was a tank. It was just too big. Anyway, it looked great from any angle, had many different resolutions, and was glare resistant for the most part. It even withstood having the top right corner get melted by a desk lamp light bulb being impressed into the top, making a large groove in it.

Too bad I got rid of it, but I had absolutely no where to put it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
21" CRT used to be a little easier to find online, but they're all dried up now. So little value in CRTs of any size much less one that weighs in at 77lbs, not many people who have one are going to bother! You might have better luck at settling for the 17" version. They were lots cheaper and their size and weight are more conducive for reselling. I've got a 17" (poor thing kicked the bucket) but it has a beautiful high resolution picture. Its still a great screen.

I have the 17" and it has a beautiful picture-I'm just looking for its "big brother" to go with it. Intell mentioned on the Marketplace that a couple show up in Pittsburgh every few weeks. I figure it would cost me about $80-100 in gas to drive up there, but UPS or Fed-Ex might end up being close to that...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The 17" acrylic displays generally go for about $50. I've seen the 20" acrylic displays for about $75 and there was one guy her in PHX at few months back selling the 22" HD model AND the converter for $85 total.

I just didn't have the money for it at the right time.

But the prices I quote seem to be the average I see for them on eBay or PHX craigslist.

I know you weren't looking for the other two, but maybe that gives you a ballpark figure, IDK.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
The $500 was for all four, but I still thought it was high.

And, yes, I dread thinking of shipping a 21" CRT. I helped clear out a lab at school a while back and moved about 10 of the(none Apple). I'd conservatively put them at 60-70lbs each. In retrospect, I probably should have grabbed one, but didn't want to deal with the weight. I passed on a 20" Apple Two-Page display a while back for the same reason(probably one of the best quality monochrome monitors ever made).

Although I've never had a "big" CRT(at least not in a monitor), I've used 17" Trinitrons before(the 21" studio has a Trinitron tube, while the 17" doesn't). Trinitrons are beautiful. In some ways, I still prefer a good CRT over an LCD/LED. There are certain colors that an LCD just can't get right. LEDs solve some of the dynamic range problems that LCDs have(since you can turn off the backlight in spots rather than just blacking out the pixel) but still don't have quite as much dynamic range as a high quality CRT. There's also what is effectively a 180º viewing angle in all directions on a CRT, and the fact that they generally look good at any resolution they are capable of displaying(there's no native resolution on a CRT, unlike an LCD). Even so, the size(especially depth), weight, and now the manufacturing cost relative to LCDs/LEDs make them a dead end.

I still want a nice 21" Blueberry to sit next to one of my B&Ws, though :)

Yeah, I wouldn't drop $500 on that. I'd try and nab the 15" LCD blueberry as it's likely the most difficult to locate IMO. Other than that, I'd pass and be patient.

In the early 00's my dad's company moved within NYC and didn't want to deal with moving their 21" IBM CRTs, so they ended up giving them away to the employees (still very expensive monitors). At the new site they ended up upgrading to LCD's. We used to have an enormous 21" CRT, I wonder what happened to that thing.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The 21" is a monster. I actually have one in graphite to go with my G4 towers, and I would definitely dread having to pay for shipping one of those.

It is a very nice and hi-res display though, and matches the G4 towers nicely.

I've only ever seen one 21" Apple CRT in real life in the office of one of my professors. He suggested I try and lift it to emphasise the sheer mass of those things. I did and, despite its size, was still taken aback. That thing is not going as a parcel, end of story. Might as well mail a washing machine.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Can any of you suggest a decent price for the 23" Cinema Display HD?

(Hope it's ok to borrow your thread. ;))

(Assuming you mean the aluminium) In Europe I'd say around €150. Getting a working one for less than that is very rare indeed.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Oh yeah sorry I totally forgot the aluminium. No I actually ment the plastic? :)

$50-100 for the 23" acrylic HR Cinema, depending on condition.

I think I paid $75+shipping for my first one, and it came with an A1006 DVI-ADC adapter.

Be forewarned that these acrylic displays have taken somewhat of a hit in value in the last few years because-as of OS X 10.9-it's not possible to control the brightness on them. The main customers for them are the nutty PPC folks like us who want them for our ADC-equipped computers.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I got a couple of the 23" acrylics: one for £10 and the other for £40 with a full boxed set of the A1006 adapter plus all cables. They have gone for up to £50 alone depending upon how many are bidding at any particular time.

The CRTs you cannot give away. I passed up on one for free and others have gone unsold. I would go so far as to say that they might put off buyers who have to collect them long with the wanted Powermac or Cube. Definitely a niche market of a niche market.

Jkj12

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2014
The seven seas
That sounds cheap. I wanted to buy one but could only find one for $150 with the adapter included - close to my home at least. Not paying that much.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
$50-100 for the 23" acrylic HR Cinema, depending on condition.

I think I paid $75+shipping for my first one, and it came with an A1006 DVI-ADC adapter.

Be forewarned that these acrylic displays have taken somewhat of a hit in value in the last few years because-as of OS X 10.9-it's not possible to control the brightness on them. The main customers for them are the nutty PPC folks like us who want them for our ADC-equipped computers.

The aluminum ones have a DVI connection, more modern design, and higher contrast ratio so they're the oldest that are still desirable for modern Macs. That doesn't stop me from wanting one to go with my G5, though :)

I'd also like to get a 22" for my Cube, but those don't seem to be common at a reasonable price.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The aluminum ones have a DVI connection, more modern design, and higher contrast ratio so they're the oldest that are still desirable for modern Macs. That doesn't stop me from wanting one to go with my G5, though :)

I'd also like to get a 22" for my Cube, but those don't seem to be common at a reasonable price.

I picked up a 22" on Craigslist for about $40 around the first of the year.

The 22s are interesting-they have actual physical buttons along the bottom for power and brightness, not the capacitive buttons like the other models.

They are the largest Apple-made displays(in terms of resolution, not physical size) that the stock Rage 128 in the Cube can drive at full resolution. Put in a Radeon 7500 or a GEForce 2MX and you can use a 20" or 23".

BTW, the 17" Studio, and then the 20", 23" and 30" Cinema displays(both acrylic and aluminum) have the same PPI(I think it's 102), so if you're using multiple displays they will line up nicely. I'm currently using a 23" Acrylic with my Quicksilver as the main display and a Dell Ultrasharp 17" as the secondary display. The different PPIs on the displays drive me crazy.

The person I bought my Quad from is sending a 23" aluminum in the same box for only the additional shipping cost. It's missing the stand and powerbrick and I think is supposedly dead, but I couldn't pass it up for what will probably amount to a few extra bucks in shipping. Hopefully, it will be something simple and I'll be able to revive it.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I picked up a 22" on Craigslist for about $40 around the first of the year.

The 22s are interesting-they have actual physical buttons along the bottom for power and brightness, not the capacitive buttons like the other models.

They are the largest Apple-made displays(in terms of resolution, not physical size) that the stock Rage 128 in the Cube can drive at full resolution. Put in a Radeon 7500 or a GEForce 2MX and you can use a 20" or 23".

BTW, the 17" Studio, and then the 20", 23" and 30" Cinema displays(both acrylic and aluminum) have the same PPI(I think it's 102), so if you're using multiple displays they will line up nicely. I'm currently using a 23" Acrylic with my Quicksilver as the main display and a Dell Ultrasharp 17" as the secondary display. The different PPIs on the displays drive me crazy.

I didn't know they still had physical buttons. I'm set on a 22" because it's from the same time as the Cube. If I ever get a 23" it'll go with my DP 2.0 G5.

Out of curiosity, what GPUs would work in a Cube without additional cooling? I'm thinking of upgrading mine from the stock Rage 128, but not to anything really high-end. Just to make Tiger a bit more smooth.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I didn't know they still had physical buttons. I'm set on a 22" because it's from the same time as the Cube. If I ever get a 23" it'll go with my DP 2.0 G5.

Out of curiosity, what GPUs would work in a Cube without additional cooling? I'm thinking of upgrading mine from the stock Rage 128, but not to anything really high-end. Just to make Tiger a bit more smooth.

Anything but a Rage 128 gets toasty without additional cooling, although my impression is that the 7500 runs a bit cooler than the 2MX. The advantage to the 2MX(regular, not twin-view) is that the faceplate off the Rage 128 will fit it, but not the 7500. Probably the best performing card that can use the stock faceplace is the GEForce 3, although it has a fan on it.

The 2MX gets hot enough in a Cube that I once raised a blister on my finger by touching the heatsink before letting it cool down. The Cube-specific 2MX had a huge heatsink that covered most of the card.

You really should install a base fan. It will help the GPU temperatures a little bit, although most of the airflow from one will bypass the graphics card.

If you want to get into flashing card, the GEForce 6200 actually runs fairly cool and gives Core Image support(be sure to use the Cube-specific ROM that underclocks the card to keep temperatures down) at the cost of OS 9 compatibility. Of course, with it you lose the ADC port. I typically install 7500s without a faceplate as they will engage the top support screw in the Cube case and are reasonably secure. You don't have this with the 6200, so will need to modify the faceplate in some way.

Others have installed Radeon 8500s(rare card), Radeon 9000s, and GEForce 4MXs although all of these are wide enough that they require moving the VRM board and typically require "trimming" the card a bit.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Anything but a Rage 128 gets toasty without additional cooling, although my impression is that the 7500 runs a bit cooler than the 2MX. The advantage to the 2MX(regular, not twin-view) is that the faceplate off the Rage 128 will fit it, but not the 7500. Probably the best performing card that can use the stock faceplace is the GEForce 3, although it has a fan on it.

The 2MX gets hot enough in a Cube that I once raised a blister on my finger by touching the heatsink before letting it cool down. The Cube-specific 2MX had a huge heatsink that covered most of the card.

You really should install a base fan. It will help the GPU temperatures a little bit, although most of the airflow from one will bypass the graphics card.

If you want to get into flashing card, the GEForce 6200 actually runs fairly cool and gives Core Image support(be sure to use the Cube-specific ROM that underclocks the card to keep temperatures down) at the cost of OS 9 compatibility. Of course, with it you lose the ADC port. I typically install 7500s without a faceplate as they will engage the top support screw in the Cube case and are reasonably secure. You don't have this with the 6200, so will need to modify the faceplate in some way.

Others have installed Radeon 8500s(rare card), Radeon 9000s, and GEForce 4MXs although all of these are wide enough that they require moving the VRM board and typically require "trimming" the card a bit.

So the 2MX will work just fine, but does run a little hot. I might have one out of a G4 DA I can stick in there.

Just one more question... Is it worth upgrading the CPU from 450 to 500 MHz?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Just one more question... Is it worth upgrading the CPU from 450 to 500 MHz?

I have both in factory form...IMO it makes virtually no difference.

The 800mhz Sonnet w/1mb L3 I have(thanks JBarley) does make a big difference. I'm also waiting on one with a 1.5ghz upgrade, and I'm excited to see how it performs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.