Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy15

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2015
This is my first post on here so hello. A little background on me: I had every iPhone from the original one to the 4S. Then I got away from Apple and began using Android. I currently have an Android (Samsung Galaxy Light) and am thinking of coming back to the iPhone. My main reason is that I cannot stand staying on outdated firmware like I currently am. I'm still on 4.4.2 Kit Kat and I may never see Lollipop. Some people on the Android side say this doesn't matter but to me it does. I don't have current features or look of Lollipop. I miss having my 4S because it never gave me any issues and it always had timely updates. I read yesterday that it may even get iOS 9. To me that's incredible. Any Android phone from 2011 is still stuck on outdated software and Apple's current venture into supporting old phones like the 4S impresses me. I understand it won't get ALL new iOS 9 features and won't be fast like the current 6 or 6+ but it suited me well as far as size and durability. Is the 4S still a good buy, do you all think it will get iOS 9 and do you guys think it would run well on my carrier Metro PCS (I know it won't get 4G LTE)? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
This is my first post on here so hello. A little background on me: I had every iPhone from the original one to the 4S. Then I got away from Apple and began using Android. I currently have an Android (Samsung Galaxy Light) and am thinking of coming back to the iPhone. My main reason is that I cannot stand staying on outdated firmware like I currently am. I'm still on 4.4.2 Kit Kat and I may never see Lollipop. Some people on the Android side say this doesn't matter but to me it does. I don't have current features or look of Lollipop. I miss having my 4S because it never gave me any issues and it always had timely updates. I read yesterday that it may even get iOS 9. To me that's incredible. Any Android phone from 2011 is still stuck on outdated software and Apple's current venture into supporting old phones like the 4S impresses me. I understand it won't get ALL new iOS 9 features and won't be fast like the current 6 or 6+ but it suited me well as far as size and durability. Is the 4S still a good buy, do you all think it will get iOS 9 and do you guys think it would run well on my carrier Metro PCS (I know it won't get 4G LTE)? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

The 4S isn't a good buy. In fact, anything below a 5S isn't a good buy anymore, because of the lack of x64 support. Going 64-bit was a major shift for Apple, and software updates for 32-bit iPhones will be gone way before 64-bit iPhones lose support.

techguy15

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2015
That's what I was afraid of as I was browsing around here and also doing research around the web. Now, if only people were selling the 5S at a reasonable price on craigslist where I live...but that's another story :/

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I just got my first iPhone - used 4s (16GB) in perfect condition as present and i really happy from it.
For my needs, the size is perfect (the new ones are too big for me), im using it with fresh iOS 8.2 and everything working perfect! also the battery holding for 2 days with my minimal use, and its a plus to know iOS9 will work as well if i feel the need to upgrade the system in the future...

Saying that, if i had to spend money for new phone, i would never buy 4s, its too old.. i would go for 5s instead (for future proof).

EdenTan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I would think the 5/5C is good enough in 2015.

Remember the 5S and 6 and 6 Plus has that same 1GB RAM like on the 5/5C. I would personally grab a used 5/5C and upgrade to the next 2GB ram iPhone when it comes out.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
do you guys think it would run well on my carrier Metro PCS (I know it won't get 4G LTE)? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Definitely don't get a 4S if you're thinking of going metroPCS. They are now owned by T-Mobile, and effectively using the T-Mobile network, which the 4S wasn't made for. A good portion of the network will be inaccessible to you, especially LTE where T-Mobile devotes most of their data capacity.

If you want to go back to iOS, get at minimum a 5C. You could also get a 5, but you will have to make sure that the 5 you get will support T-Mobile LTE bands (there was a mid-cycle production change to allow this... older versions will have the same issues as a 4S).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow! I sound the opposite of you.

I have an iPhone 5 on 8.1.3 and I hate iOS! I've hated 7 and 8 since they came out and if there was any way I could get my iPhone 5 back on iOS 6 I'd jump on it.

Perhaps I should look at going to Android…oh wait, I just ordered an iPhone 6+ 128GB so never mind.

OP, if always being updated is for you then Apple will be happy to oblige, always making it difficult to NOT upgrade and giving you absolutely no way to downgrade. But Apple keeps a real posh jail, so welcome back.

Last edited:

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I would check swappa before ebay or craigslist for used iphones. It's much safer then ebay and much much much safer then craigslist. The latest I would buy is the 5S. The others aren't worth it.

EdenTan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Yeah I'm aware of the difference. DDR2 on 5/5C. But the 5 and 5C still smooth for me on iOS 8.3, not too compelling to upgrade imo

xneezzy

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2015

Right now the best buy for you is a 5s, the older iPhones may run a bit slower. I had a 4s, 5, then a 5s. but then I switched to a s4 one time because I liked the bigger screen, the note was too big. I enjoyed it for a while but then I started to miss the iPhone, I realized that I'm more of an iPhone kind of guy. That time they announced the iPhone 6, and it had a bigger screen! I was really happy to hear that Apple finally decided to up the screen size and that's why right now I have the beautiful iPhone 6! I will never switch to android again, big mistake. If you really want to make the switch, do so, iOS is so much better.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Welcome home long lost brother! Glad to have you back from the dark side, saved from those pesky evil droid people!

Reactions: techguy15

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Remember the 5S and 6 and 6 Plus has that same 1GB RAM like on the 5/5C. I would personally grab a used 5/5C and upgrade to the next 2GB ram iPhone when it comes out.

The 5/5C is still a strong phone, and the 5S is a great value play, as the performance leap on the 6 is a bit smaller as a lot of resources are used to handle a bigger screen.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
KitKat is better than the current build of Lollipop...and who cares if it looks slightly different? As for the iOS update thing for older phones...meh. I would *much* rather have the o/s my phone shipped with than an o/s designed for a newer phone. That way I won't encounter lag and new bugs. Many, many people have been burned by iOS 'updates'. Don't believe the hype.

techguy15

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2015
As far as reliability would I be better off running iOS? Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions guys.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Im still running a 3GS. I think you'll be just fine with the 4S. Granted your needs my differ from mine, but as long as i can text, call, surf the web, and play my Sonic games, the 3GS is a-okay with me.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

My wife has had a 5c since Jan. 2014 and it's still going strong. She probably won't upgrade in Jan when she pays off her device.

----------

As far as reliability would I be better off running iOS? Appreciate all the feedback and suggestions guys.

I just left the Galaxy S6. I've had the best Android can offer and even with all of the bells and whistles Android devices have to offer, they still can't touch iOS in terms day to day use, dependability and consistency. Can't see myself going back to Android again.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I just left the Galaxy S6. I've had the best Android can offer and even with all of the bells and whistles Android devices have to offer, they still can't touch iOS in terms day to day use, dependability and consistency. Can't see myself going back to Android again.

I never say never (I get bored, and because the watch was a disappointment, I'm not as locked into the ecosystem), but this was my impression as well. Especially since the best all-around Android experience has a weak camera.

techguy15

Suspended
Original poster
May 24, 2015
I still remember the 4S I had with the 8mp camera produced really quality photos and videos. Still weighing my options. I have battery life concerns too. Right now my galaxy light can last all day (with sync turned off). I'd like to at least get a days use from a 4S. If I have to invest in a battery pack I'm ok with that. I don't need the latest and greatest. I just use it for light gaming, texting and calling and obviously email/web.

EdenTan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I still remember the 4S I had with the 8mp camera produced really quality photos and videos. Still weighing my options. I have battery life concerns too. Right now my galaxy light can last all day (with sync turned off). I'd like to at least get a days use from a 4S. If I have to invest in a battery pack I'm ok with that. I don't need the latest and greatest. I just use it for light gaming, texting and calling and obviously email/web.

Get the 5/5C the A6 is significantly better than the A5. On geekbench about a 3x increase in performance.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Right now the best buy for you is a 5s, the older iPhones may run a bit slower. I had a 4s, 5, then a 5s. but then I switched to a s4 one time because I liked the bigger screen, the note was too big. I enjoyed it for a while but then I started to miss the iPhone, I realized that I'm more of an iPhone kind of guy. That time they announced the iPhone 6, and it had a bigger screen! I was really happy to hear that Apple finally decided to up the screen size and that's why right now I have the beautiful iPhone 6! I will never switch to android again, big mistake. If you really want to make the switch, do so, iOS is so much better.

I'm genuinely curious of something that, perhaps you or others can enlighten me on. Why is it that when a long time Apple user wants to try out Android phones they seem to always go to a Samsung device? Is it advertising, familiarity of the home button, endless iPhone Samsung comparisons, etc.? The only reason I ask is that there are many many different Android handsets that are arguably much better at displaying how well Android works, or doesn't work *cough* Lollipop, other than those made by Samsung. I understand that if you want to try Android you're not going to spend a ton of time scouring Android forums and sites. But, until just this past year, Samsung phones have widely been regarded as being slow and filled with so much bloat you'd be surprised they didn't pull your pants down when slipped in a pocket. It's almost like an Android user wanting to try out iOS and using an iPhone 4 on iOS 7 (my wife's is horrendously slow). If you could oblige I'd be grateful.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm genuinely curious of something that, perhaps you or others can enlighten me on. Why is it that when a long time Apple user wants to try out Android phones they seem to always go to a Samsung device? Is it advertising, familiarity of the home button, endless iPhone Samsung comparisons, etc.? The only reason I ask is that there are many many different Android handsets that are arguably much better at displaying how well Android works, or doesn't work *cough* Lollipop, other than those made by Samsung. I understand that if you want to try Android you're not going to spend a ton of time scouring Android forums and sites. But, until just this past year, Samsung phones have widely been regarded as being slow and filled with so much bloat you'd be surprised they didn't pull your pants down when slipped in a pocket. It's almost like an Android user wanting to try out iOS and using an iPhone 4 on iOS 7 (my wife's is horrendously slow). If you could oblige I'd be grateful.

I had the iPhone 3G and then the 4. My 4 was stolen and I had 2 months to go before I could upgrade. I decided to get a cheap phone to keep me going until I could upgrade to the 4S. I wanted a smartphone. When I went to the phone store I had a look at all the devices and I ended up going with the Samsung Galaxy Y. I think it was just by chance as it fit the criteria of what I was looking for. I was expecting it to be rubbish but it was pretty decent and I enjoyed a lot of the features of android. So I decided to try an android flagship when I upgraded instead of going with the iPhone 4S. I did a lot of research and went for the original galaxy note. I was attracted to the large high definition screen and S pen. In those days Samsung were the only ones doing phablets. I continued to use Samsung phones through 2012-2014. Each time I got a new phone I did look at the devices made by other OEMs but stayed with Samsung because I thought they had the better device and also because of device familiarity. I tend to stick with phones if I'm happy with them. First it was Sony Ericsson, then Apple, then Samsung and now Apple again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.