Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

packtrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
I need help recovering pictures (mostly of our daughter) from my wife's iphone. After several months of not using it (long story), she forgot the passcode. Other difficulties include...

• We have used up all but 1 attempt to enter the pass code before it has to be factory reset
    As far as I can tell it was never synced to her icloud account
    I don't think it was backed up on itunes but even if it was, our laptop was stolen 3 weeks ago.
    I'm not sure if it is ios 7 or 8 but the ios software was probably updated in Q3 or Q4 of last year...

I've been searching all day for a possible solution. I think there could be a couple of jailbreaks, especially if her software of 2014 vintage... but i'm not sure... Was hoping someone could help me.

Another idea i had, if i could somehow enable the iphone to backup to her icloud account, then i could safely do a factory reset. Only problem is, i need the passcode to back up to the icloud account.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And you need the passcode to jailbreak. You need to be on the springboard, i.e., the phone needs to be unlocked and the last few recent jailbreaks have strongly suggested deactivating the passcode - which you can't do if you can't get to the Settings app.

Take it to Apple, maybe there is something they can do if you can prove you are the owner.

But no jailbreak is going to function if you can't unlock the device - and if you could do that then the reason you want to jailbreak would be a moot point.

packtrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2015
Makes sense. Does everyone else agree? Still holding out hope for a miracle...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
If photos on a device are important to people, there are several methods to secure/back them up - namely iTunes, iCloud or Photos/Photo Library app.

Never have understood why people fail to do so, then plead for assistance later claiming they are losing something that is invaluable to them.

I recommend the Apple Store with proof of ownership.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.