Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spittingllama

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Hi all.

Have been looking at this powerbank for the Retina MacBook. Anyone know if this will work ok via usb a to usb c?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00TDGC9WY?vs=1

Thanks

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
In theory, any of these power banks should work, but be aware that most of them put out only 10-12W of power, while the MacBook charger puts out 29W, so they will charge the MacBook much more slowly.

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
In theory, any of these power banks should work, but be aware that most of them put out only 10-12W of power, while the MacBook charger puts out 29W, so they will charge the MacBook much more slowly.

Honestly, in normal usage it's not even noticeable. I'm currently 12 time zones away from home and I didn't even bother bringing anything but my Anker 5-port charger. 12W is plenty for the MacBook. No, it doesn't charge as quickly, but that rarely ever actually matters. I plug it in in the evening, and the battery is full by the morning. (Actually a lot sooner than that.)

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Honestly, in normal usage it's not even noticeable. I'm currently 12 time zones away from home and I didn't even bother bringing anything but my Anker 5-port charger. 12W is plenty for the MacBook. No, it doesn't charge as quickly, but that rarely ever actually matters. I plug it in in the evening, and the battery is full by the morning. (Actually a lot sooner than that.)

I will second this. I use a 12w charger when I'm in my garage. I can make it not charge by draining it down to <15% where draw would be at maximum, brightness at max and encoding 4K videos where it gets so hot you see the processor throttling in the Intel Power Gadget.

So it's possible the 12w is not enough, but unrealistic for my use case.

tutux

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
Just FYI, I have a anker power bank E7 25600mah.

Power delivered to the macbook: 12W

enough to charge/maintain the charge depend of the load of the macbook!

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Gentlemen, the "power rating" of the source is not the only factor involved in the charging of this 12" rMB.
These external battery banks supply a stabilized voltage of 5.0Vdc (for the moment put their output current capacity aside...). The laptop needs to be charged with 14.5Vdc... Can someone explain as how a 5.0Vdc source can charge a 14.5Vdc load?:confused:

xPad

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
Gentlemen, the "power rating" of the source is not the only factor involved in the charging of this 12" rMB.
These external battery banks supply a stabilized voltage of 5.0Vdc (for the moment put their output current capacity aside...). The laptop needs to be charged with 14.5Vdc... Can someone explain as how a 5.0Vdc source can charge a 14.5Vdc load?:confused:
5V will work just fine, just slower. This is part of USB 3.1.

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
5V will work just fine, just slower. This is part of USB 3.1.
I know that USB-C port is not a standard DC port, but are you telling that once you input 5.0Vdc to the USB-C (USB3.1) port, the output is somehow increased to 14.5Vdc? Can you give a more specific link, describing this process???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.