Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hi, people,

Sorry for the lack of specificity in the title, but I have several questions regarding Numbers (3.0.1). Hopefully you can answer most of them! :)

1) I created a big table in Pages, which has reached what seems to be the maximum of rows allowed by the app (999). Now I desperately need to copy that table to a Numbers spreadsheet. I just tried selecting and copying the table, then pressing ⌘V on Numbers, but nothing happens. How can I do that?

2) When I work with a table in Pages, every time I type the first few letters of a word in a new cell, the app will suggest other words already used in the same table. However, Numbers doesn't do that. How can I implement that behaviour in the app?

3) Is it possible to do in Numbers the same that I asked in the previous question, but considering the words that I've already used in other spreadsheets? Hopefully there's an easy way to do this that doesn't imply making a database with other app or something like that...

Thanks a lot in advance!

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
I'm using 3.5/5.5 so this might not apply. If you select the table in Pages as an object, when you paste it into a Numbers cell, it places the object into the cell. What you are probably trying to achieve is selecting the cells in Pages and pasting them into a Numbers spreadsheet. On mine, I can select the cells by doing something like highlighting A1, then scrolling to the bottom of the table and holding down shift, selecting the last row/column (Z999 or whatever column). Then all the cells are highlighted, copy it, and in Numbers, highlight A1 and paste.

I think in almost any spreadsheet program (and a table in Pages), the completion suggestions must be in the same column. In most there will be a setting to activate this feature, in Numbers 3.5 it is Preferences->General->Editing: Show suggestions when editing table cells.

Regarding the first question, yes, that's exactly what I did but nothing happened. I guess it was a bug or lack of features in the earlier versions of the new Numbers app. Anyway, I already solved the issue using Excel, lol.

Regarding the second and third issues, I went to the menu that you mentioned but there was no such option. Again, it looks like it's a problem of the earlier versions of Numbers. Sadly I'm stuck because I don't want to "upgrade" to Yosemite.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
Regarding the first question, yes, that's exactly what I did but nothing happened. I guess it was a bug or lack of features in the earlier versions of the new Numbers app. Anyway, I already solved the issue using Excel, lol.

Regarding the second and third issues, I went to the menu that you mentioned but there was no such option. Again, it looks like it's a problem of the earlier versions of Numbers. Sadly I'm stuck because I don't want to "upgrade" to Yosemite.

Depending on your reason for using Numbers instead of Excel, if you don't want to change to Yosemite then you might want to give LibreOffice a try. It's pretty good. A lot of features were removed in the later versions of Numbers--I thought the cell completion stuff worked way back. LIbreOffice is missing some key features that Excel has such as cell pattern fills, but it does do quite a bit and may do all that you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.