Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThoseBackPages

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
New York
Heck, i think i would!

i dont NEED a rMB, but i sure do want one!

it would be a nice "impulse buy", if there was NO WAIT time, just saying.

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
I was put off by the uncertain wait times

Heck, i think i would!

i dont NEED a rMB, but i sure do want one!

it would be a nice "impulse buy", if there was NO WAIT time, just saying.

I would have been very tempted to buy on impulse had the Apple store I first visited (2 weeks after launch) had had them in stock. But they didn't, and I wasn't sufficiently interested in waiting up to 6 weeks for an on-line order.

While I was thinking about it and reading Macrumors threads, I saw the new MS Surface 3, and it seemed like a good deal for a small travel computer, so I bought that (in a store, with no waiting).

This represents a potential lost sale to Apple - I was "wowed" when I first saw the rMB, and if they had been available right then, I could well have just given in to impulse.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
No doubt many would impulse buy but the real question is how many would stay sold.

jfriedman8

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
I'm waiting this one out to see what the SP4 has when Win 10 launches. I much prefer OS X, but I think the advantage is much closer than what it has been in the past.

The key thing holding me back right now is the rMB is the better looking, hands down, but with the SP4 (or SP3) I can combine a laptop with my 128GB iPad Mini. I would much rather have one device that I can play the 4 games I play and do some excel and photoshop work on a flight than have to carry two devices.

My favorite machine is my 15" rMBP, but for my "ultra portable," I really care more about the features than the OS... They both "work."

Apfpilot

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
mine was an impulse buy. I had tried one out a couple of weeks before I bought mine at the Apple Store in Oakbrook in Chicago and thought it was pretty neat. Frustrated I couldn't get my hands on one for an indeterminate amount of time so decided I didn't need one. Few weeks later I was in my Hotel Room in Racine WI and saw someone posted on here that a few best buys had stock. I figured why not and went to the Racine BBY and walked out with one.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
I would say mine was kind of an impulse buy too. I wasn't really planning to get a new MacBook but was going to strip everything off my old 2009 MB see if that sorted it out as so slow and laggy I had almost stopped using in favour of my iPad Air. However started using the MB again for studying and been enjoying using it again.

However it is an impulse buy I know will get heavy usage!

R4ng3r

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Singapore
Came across the new rMB while shopping for peripherals in the Apple Retail Store. When i got home, I just could not resist but to place an order for one through the Apple Online Store.

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Actually, I went into the Apple store and they had one in silver available on hand, I didn't buy it because I had the gold on order already.

Could have bought the 1.1 in silver and canceled the gold but held out for the 1.3 in gold instead.

Glad I did!

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
B&H has them. I bought one. No tax. $10 discount.

WTF :)

Do I need it? Not really. Then again, I need very little.

a2daj

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2004
That's what I ended up doing. My local Apple Store had a one or two 1.2 GHz 512 GB MacBooks in silver and gold each so I picked a silver up.

Queen6

macrumors G4
After looking for a Retina MacBook since launch across eight countries your best bet is at an authorised retailer, as Apple looks to be prioritising them over their own stores for physical sales. I did strongly consider a Surface 3 or waiting on a Surface Pro 4. Managing the same data set over multiple OS is an additional load, I prefer and I am more productive in OS X, equally Windows 10 is very promising.

FWIW I do have a genuine need as I travel frequently internationally, often with primary & secondary Notebook`s, so weight & size is an ever pressing issue for me.

Q-6

Last edited:

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
I hadn't bought one since I didn't want to wait so long for it. Saw that Small Dog had a gold one, so I ordered it over the weekend. It shipped Monday and arrives tomorrow. Can't wait.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
Was considering selling my perfect condition rMBP 15 with a quad core i7 / 8gb ram / 512gb flash storage / because the only intense thing I do is boot into windows to service desktops remotely otherwise I just browse the web, spotify, VPN, alfred...not that intensive. No photo or video editing. I realize i'd be better off with my 15" but the design and engineering of the 12" is just absolutely nuts.

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
I hadn't bought one since I didn't want to wait so long for it. Saw that Small Dog had a gold one, so I ordered it over the weekend. It shipped Monday and arrives tomorrow. Can't wait.

I hadn't heard of Small Dog before, pretty impressive that they have a 1.3 MacBook in Gold in stock!

Q0Rf8uh.jpg

MVPinFLA

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Boynton Beach, FL
I hadn't heard of Small Dog before, pretty impressive that they have a 1.3 MacBook in Gold in stock!

A friend of mine who has had Macs for 30 years turned me on to them. He has bought loads of Apple stuff from them over the years and raves about them. I was shocked to see so much of a selection and immediate shipment, which is why I bought one. I used the standard shipping. It was shipped on Monday and arrives tomorrow. Sure beats the 3-5 delivery time. :eek:)

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
Was considering selling my perfect condition rMBP 15 with a quad core i7 / 8gb ram / 512gb flash storage / because the only intense thing I do is boot into windows to service desktops remotely otherwise I just browse the web, spotify, VPN, alfred...not that intensive. No photo or video editing. I realize i'd be better off with my 15" but the design and engineering of the 12" is just absolutely nuts.

Geez that's like saying you want to trade in a nice Lexus SUV for a small Ford compact. :)

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
Geez that's like saying you want to trade in a nice Lexus SUV for a small Ford compact. :)

Thank you so much MaskedCarrot. I've realized that it'd be pretty stupid to do since it's my only machine. I've had no issues with my rMBP and it's a speed demon. If it isn't broke don't fix it I guess. It's an irrational want that I certainly don't need. Maybe i'll just wait for skylake and hope for a redesigned 15" pro so I can get a similar design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.