Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I have a new iMac (Retina), and want to buy Apple Care to add onto it. I see Apple's edu price is $129, which is good, but many sellers on eBay are selling it for less. Many of them are older versions, but the code in the same I would assume works the same? Or should I just steer clear and buy from Apple?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I have a new iMac (Retina), and want to buy Apple Care to add onto it. I see Apple's edu price is $129, which is good, but many sellers on eBay are selling it for less. Many of them are older versions, but the code in the same I would assume works the same? Or should I just steer clear and buy from Apple?
I would steer clear of eBay, as there have been numerous scams involving selling AppleCare. If you qualify for the Education pricing, that's a good move. You can also find good prices from some reputable online retailers.

Existing thread: Is buying Applecare from eBay trustable?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

Thanks!

It's usually not a problem to buy off eBay (but sometimes is!!). But if you want a discount with 0 risk, get it from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com). You'll enter your Mac's serial number and get confirmation from Apple minutes after checkout.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
It's usually not a problem to buy off eBay (but sometimes is!!). But if you want a discount with 0 risk, get it from B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com). You'll enter your Mac's serial number and get confirmation from Apple minutes after checkout.

Yeah I like that idea. I have an Apple gift card, so was thinking about just using it and buying from Apple. So annoying in 2015 that they make you buy it online, then either ship the box (which all it has in it is a code to go online and register), or pick up in store. Seems like they should just sell it online like B&H does.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
B&H Photo and Amazon often have the best prices on genuine AppleCare. You don't have to purchase the computer from them. They send you the boxed product.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
To be completely honest I wouldn't buy applecare on ebay. Not saying you won't find a legitimate seller at a better price I personally just wouldn't risk it though.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
B&H Photo and Amazon often have the best prices on genuine AppleCare. You don't have to purchase the computer from them. They send you the boxed product.

Just ordered from Amazon. Silly to have them have to send a box with a code in it but guess Apple does it the same way. The price ended up cheaper than Apple's EDU discount (Amazon $124 no tax, Apple $119 plus $11 California tax. Not sure how Apple is collecting tax on a warranty, seems a bit sketch (illegal to charge tax on a service in CA)... oh well. It'll be delivered in 2 days. :)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Just ordered from Amazon. Silly to have them have to send a box with a code in it but guess Apple does it the same way. The price ended up cheaper than Apple's EDU discount (Amazon $124 no tax, Apple $119 plus $11 California tax. Not sure how Apple is collecting tax on a warranty, seems a bit sketch (illegal to charge tax on a service in CA)... oh well. It'll be delivered in 2 days. :)

Be careful. I saw an applecare listed as refurbished. When I asked the seller he indicted its refurbished because the buyer would send the device to that dealer for repair. Hence, that is not AppleCare even though it was advertised as such.

----------

Technically,

If you don't have a receipt from an authorized reseller and Apple challenges you on that, your AppleCare is invalid.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
To be completely honest I wouldn't buy applecare on ebay. Not saying you won't find a legitimate seller at a better price I personally just wouldn't risk it though.

I'm with you on this one. Ended up just buying from Amazon. Your point is very good, the risk doesn't outweigh the benefits. I can imagine in 2 years my computer dying and going in and learning my $20 savings cost me a $1500 repair (or a computer that's not even repairable)...

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I bought Applecare on eBay a couple weeks ago and it worked out perfectly. I'm good until 2018.
Just read the listing and make sure that the seller states that it is factory sealed/new/never used, or any combination. Buyer protection will cover you if the seller gives you a non-working applecare package I would imagine. Also look for a seller with 100% and experience.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I bought Applecare on eBay a couple weeks ago and it worked out perfectly. I'm good until 2018.
Just read the listing and make sure that the seller states that it is factory sealed/new/never used, or any combination. Buyer protection will cover you if the seller gives you a non-working applecare package I would imagine. Also look for a seller with 100% and experience.

Buyer protection doesn't cover you in a year when you notice the warranty has been cancelled.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Buyer protection doesn't cover you in a year when you notice the warranty has been cancelled.

I don't see how that is possible since the code to activate Applecare onto your iMac is sealed in the box. Am I missing something here?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I don't see how that is possible since the code to activate Applecare onto your iMac is sealed in the box. Am I missing something here?

Pretty sure the serial number on the box is tied into the product activation code.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Anyone even THINKING about "buying AppleCare on ebay" should read this thread in its entirety:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/690859/

Yeah, only took a couple replies to make me realize it's not worth the savings. It's literally $30 cheaper than the EDU price, $35 cheaper than Amazon (and that's the LOWEST eBay Price).

Not worth it for peace of mind. The whole reason to buy a warranty is to NOT have to worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.