Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzs.112000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Hello all, I have just stumbled upon some drivers for USB Wi-Fi cards, ones with Realtek chipsets, they have downloads for OS X 10.4 and OS X 10.5.
I don't know if any of these work on PowerPC because I don't have any of these WiFi cards.
If they do work on PowerPC Mac's it could do wonders for PowerBooks and iBooks with no 802.11n support.

Here are the cards that have OS X drivers:
RTL8191SU:
RTL8188SU
RTL8192SU
RTL8192CU
RTL8188CUS
RTL8188RU

This is a link to download them:
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...n=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I have an adapter for RTL8191SU and it seems to work with all my Macs running 10.4 on up. On some macs it intermittently disconnects from wifi.

Hello all, I have just stumbled upon some drivers for USB Wi-Fi cards, ones with Realtek chipsets, they have downloads for OS X 10.4 and OS X 10.5.
I don't know if any of these work on PowerPC because I don't have any of these WiFi cards.
If they do work on PowerPC Mac's it could do wonders for PowerBooks and iBooks with no 802.11n support.

Here are the cards that have OS X drivers:
RTL8191SU:
RTL8188SU
RTL8192SU
RTL8192CU
RTL8188CUS
RTL8188RU

This is a link to download them:
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...n=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The best USB wireless adapter for my PowerPC Macs so far has been the Netgear WNA1000M. It is small, reliable, and affordable as well as capable of wireless N.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
In an attempt to have my Mac Mini G4 (1.5Ghz) join an 802.11n network, I dug out a little D-Link DWA-131 Rev.B1 USB Wireless Adapter which previously had many years of service on a desktop Windows PC. It turns out this adapter is based on the RTL8192CU chipset, which is listed as Mac-compatible.
d-link dwa-131 b1.jpg
The links in the OP for these drivers, and other links I've tried from Realtek, D-link and other vendors (via archive.org) are no longer working.

After some digging around I came across this:
"Gembird WNP-UA-003 Driver for Windows archive content"

The exact version I was looking for of the Wlan driver + utility suite for Tiger was in this .rar file. So to make it easier for others to find, I have posted these drivers on the garden at:

This includes the RTL8192CU and RTL8192SU drivers for Tiger and Leopard (tested with my PowerPC Macs) as well as the same chipset drivers for Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion (I did not test these).

-AphoticD
:apple:

Last edited:
In an attempt to have my Mac Mini G4 (1.5Ghz) join an 802.11n network, I dug out a little D-Link DWA-131 Rev.B1 USB Wireless Adapter which previously had many years of service on a desktop Windows PC. It turns out this adapter is based on the RTL8192CU chipset, which is listed as Mac-compatible.
View attachment 2107261
The links in the OP for these drivers, and other links I've tried from Realtek, D-link and other vendors (via archive.org) are no longer working.

After some digging around I came across this:
"Gembird WNP-UA-003 Driver for Windows archive content"

The exact version I was looking for of the Wlan driver + utility suite for Tiger was in this .rar file. So to make it easier for others to find, I have posted these drivers on the garden at:

This includes the RTL8192CU and RTL8192SU drivers for Tiger and Leopard (tested with my PowerPC Macs) as well as the same chipset drivers for Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion (I did not test these).

-AphoticD
:apple:

Before reading the remainder of your post (something I should have done), I tracked down Tiger, Leopard, SL, and Lion drivers for the RTL8192SU on Drivers Collection. I haven’t however, checked all the Realtek chipset lines in the original post’s list and, additionally, haven’t verified whether the driver itself in the install is a universal binary or Intel-only.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.