Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Hello!

Today I tried to set up Boot Camp for the first time, and I'm having issues. Where I am with it:

• I have the Windows 10 Preview iso downloaded.
  • I have the Windows Support Drivers downloaded, on a USB stick.
  • I have a 4.7GB DVD-RW disc to burn the iso onto.
  • I am using an iMac 21.5" Mid-2011 (has SuperDrive).
  • I am using Yosemite (latest version).
It's at this point that I get lost. All instructions I see online point to an option in Boot Camp Assistant that I do not have (create a boot disc). I've tried to burn the iso onto the DVD-RW disc, but I get an error in the Assistant stating:

• The installer disc could not be found.
    Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized.
I'm starting to get a tad frustrated. Anyone know the solution?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello!

Today I tried to set up Boot Camp for the first time, and I'm having issues. Where I am with it:

• I have the Windows 10 Preview iso downloaded.
  • I have the Windows Support Drivers downloaded, on a USB stick.
  • I have a 4.7GB DVD-RW disc to burn the iso onto.
  • I am using an iMac 21.5" Mid-2011 (has SuperDrive).
  • I am using Yosemite (latest version).
It's at this point that I get lost. All instructions I see online point to an option in Boot Camp Assistant that I do not have (create a boot disc). I've tried to burn the iso onto the DVD-RW disc, but I get an error in the Assistant stating:

• The installer disc could not be found.
    Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized.
I'm starting to get a tad frustrated. Anyone know the solution?

It means that you've been burning the ISO the wrong way.

You need to burn it using Disk Utility.

iCrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
It means that you've been burning the ISO the wrong way.

You need to burn it using Disk Utility.

I figured that may have been the issue, so I went back and did this:

• Erased the disc using Disc Utility ("Completely" option).
  • Clicked "Burn" at the top.
  • Selected the iso file.
  • Clicked "Burn" in the bottom-right.
  • Changed the speed to slowest possible (2x).
I now get the error:

• Unable to burn "Windows10_InsiderPreview_x64_EN-US_10074.iso." (The disc can't be burned; it might be incompatible with this disc drive. Please try a different brand of disc, or try burning at a slower speed.)
It doesn't make sense that I'd get that error since I already burned the iso onto it once (incorrectly?), which didn't result in an error during the burning process. I am also already burning at the slowest possible speed.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
I figured that may have been the issue, so I went back and did this:

• Erased the disc using Disc Utility ("Completely" option).
  • Clicked "Burn" at the top.
  • Selected the iso file.
  • Clicked "Burn" in the bottom-right.
  • Changed the speed to slowest possible (2x).
I now get the error:

• Unable to burn "Windows10_InsiderPreview_x64_EN-US_10074.iso." (The disc can't be burned; it might be incompatible with this disc drive. Please try a different brand of disc, or try burning at a slower speed.)
It doesn't make sense that I'd get that error since I already burned the iso onto it once (incorrectly?), which didn't result in an error during the burning process. I am also already burning at the slowest possible speed.
You might want to erase the disc first, if possible. Then mount the ISO and burn.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would try a normal DVD-R - not a DVD-RW (too likely to error out, especially now that yours is a previously-used DVD)

iCrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
I went out and picked up a pack of 4.7GB DVD-Rs. It still doesn't work, only this time I get a "Medium Write Error".

The drive is playing CDs and DVDs just fine. It burned the first DVD fine. It's just not letting me burn at all now. It keeps jumping directing from "Writing..." to "Finished.".

Pretty annoyed that something so simple is being such an issue.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
I went out and picked up a pack of 4.7GB DVD-Rs. It still doesn't work, only this time I get a "Medium Write Error".

The drive is playing CDs and DVDs just fine. It burned the first DVD fine. It's just not letting me burn at all now. It keeps jumping directing from "Writing..." to "Finished.".

Pretty annoyed that something so simple is being such an issue.

Hmm. Your DVD drive might have a burning problem.

Why not create a bootable USB manually?

iCrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Hmm. Your DVD drive might have a burning problem.

Why not create a bootable USB manually?

I don't know how to do that. I've tried searching for it, but everything I've read states that because my Mac has a cd drive, that I cannot make a bootable USB easily unless I do something with Xcode.

iCrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
I used a buddy's Windows laptop to burn the iso onto a DVD-R. Worked fine.

However, I'm still getting the same error when I try to use Boot Camp (Installation disc not found.).

Either I'm missing something that should be simple and obvious, or it just isn't working.

iCrim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Last resort:

I took the iso and transferred it to a buddy's new macbook air. I opened Boot Camp Assistant and selected the option to create a bootable USB. Selected the iso and destination usb.

It then gave me the error that it only supports Windows 7 or later, even though the iso is of Windows 10.

Dead end at every turn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.