Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speida

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hi everyone

So my mind has been in continuous thinking about changing my early-2011 17" MacBook Pro with the following specs:

Model: MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: upgraded to 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Storage: 750 GB HD + 256 GB SSD (Swapped the optical drive)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M and Intel HD 3000 Graphics

I think it is time to change it now. I have been looking at the new MacBook and MacBook Air, the first one for the new features and for the look which I love and obviously the portability. The second one for the portability but it has a lack of retina display.

Now, what do I use it for? Mainly for office use: emails, word/excel, Skype, web browsing, small use of Windows with Parallels, but also a bit of photoshop (very small usage compared to years ago) such as minor photo editing or banner/website creation every now and then but now it's very rare.

I am looking for a Macbook which brings me speed for the daily normal tasks because I hate waiting or slow processing, but at the same time I do not need a processor to sustain heavy loads. However I don't want to drastically drop the performance of a Pro model usage to something much much slower!

In regards to the display I would stick on retina, I don't really care about the size because I can add an external monitor at work to give me more space.

My recent Geekbench 3 results on my MBP17 are here http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/2603355

Now I will be glad to hear your thoughts and advices!

Thank you very much for your time guys!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hi everyone

So my mind has been in continuous thinking about changing my early-2011 17" MacBook Pro with the following specs:

Model: MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
RAM: upgraded to 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Storage: 750 GB HD + 256 GB SSD (Swapped the optical drive)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M and Intel HD 3000 Graphics

I think it is time to change it now. I have been looking at the new MacBook and MacBook Air, the first one for the new features and for the look which I love and obviously the portability. The second one for the portability but it has a lack of retina display.

Now, what do I use it for? Mainly for office use: emails, word/excel, Skype, web browsing, small use of Windows with Parallels, but also a bit of photoshop (very small usage compared to years ago) such as minor photo editing or banner/website creation every now and then but now it's very rare.

I am looking for a Macbook which brings me speed for the daily normal tasks because I hate waiting or slow processing, but at the same time I do not need a processor to sustain heavy loads. However I don't want to drastically drop the performance of a Pro model usage to something much much slower!

In regards to the display I would stick on retina, I don't really care about the size because I can add an external monitor at work to give me more space.

My recent Geekbench 3 results on my MBP17 are here http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/2603355

Now I will be glad to hear your thoughts and advices!

Thank you very much for your time guys!

I think the 13 inch rMBP sounds perfect for you it gives you all the power portability and ports with that lovely retina screen.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I mean if you want something faster than you're current machine, going by geekbench scores alone, neither the 13" rMBP or rMB will fit you're needs. Considering your current situation, I would not recommend the rMB for you, the new 2015 rMBP 13" might be a viable option since it also got the SSD upgrade but the geekbench scores are significantly lower than your current machine which might indicate lower performance though "burst" performance should be better due to the higher clock speed and new architecture which you seem to be looking for. I would recommend the 13" rMBP since it is similar in price to the rMP and has a retina display unless weight is a serious concern.

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
After adding a 1TB Samsung SSD my 17" MBP will be with me for a long time still.
Now its a big speed demon with the display real estate that I'll not give up easily.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
If you're selling it i'd get a rMBP if you are keeping it i'd get a 12 inch retina MacBook and not think twice. I have a 15" rMBP and was just memorized when I went into bestbuy playing around with it. I've never seen such a good looking computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.