Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merzhelnoureb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Hello guys. So, I have a iPhone 4s that i'm going to sell and I'd like to erase all data off my iphone permanently. What can I do to make sure no data can be retrieved afterwards?

gretafour

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
I sold my 4s in March and just did a full restore, setting up as a new phone. "Erase all content and settings" should work just as well. If you power off the phone when it first boots up with the "Slide to set up iPhone" screen, then the buyer will see that same screen when they power on, just like they would a new phone out of the box!

It's the little things... :D

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Hello guys. So, I have a iPhone 4s that i'm going to sell and I'd like to erase all data off my iphone permanently. What can I do to make sure no data can be retrieved afterwards?

Erasing all content and settings is sufficient. The information on your phone is encrypted, erasing all content and settings removes the encryption keys such that the information is useless without these keys.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Put it in the Microwave for a few minutes and even the forensic people will never get a single byte. Just a second will kill it from ever working. Might want to put it on a plate as it is going to get very hot!

dsi76

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
Make sure you also disable Find My iPhone before resetting the device, to ensure there is no activation lock either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.