Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its its WWDC app ahead of its 2015 Worldwide Developers Conference, adding support for the Apple Watch and confirming the keynote event for the conference will take place on Monday, June 8 from 10 a.m. Pacific Time to 12 p.m. Pacific Time. According to the app's release notes, with the new Apple Watch portion of the app, users can add sessions to Calendar, listen to audio, and give feedback on session videos right from their wrists.

This year's WWDC keynote should be rather exciting, as Apple is poised to launch two new services at the event. Rumors have suggested that we can expect to see the debut of both a new streaming music service based on Apple's existing Beats service and a new streaming television service.

The television service is brand new territory for Apple, and will see the company offering an assortment of channels that can be streamed over the Internet with no cable subscription. A new set-top box with support for Siri and a full App Store is also expected to make an appearance at WWDC, as is additional detail on Apple's HomeKit initiative.

WWDC-2015-Logo-800x499.png
We will, of course, see the next versions of both iOS and OS X. iOS 9 and OS X 11 are rumored to be updates that are focused on bug fixes and performance improvements, but some consumer-facing features will be included. Transit Maps routing information and split-screen multitasking may find their way into iOS, OS X may gain a new Control Center, and both operating systems are expected to adopt the San Francisco font introduced with the Apple Watch.

Update: An earlier version of this post indicated that media invites for WWDC had been sent out to journalists and analysts, but MacRumors has learned that official invites have not yet gone out. Some media attendees have received advanced notification about a pending invite, but actual invites will be sent out in the coming days.

Article Link: Apple Updates WWDC App With Apple Watch Support, Confirms June 8 Keynote Date

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Sweet. Something to look forward to. Fingers crossed for some new hardware...

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
So the roundup is:

OS X 10.11, iOS 9, Watch OS Update, Streaming Music Service (first Android app!), New Apple TV with TV Service + SDK.

Have I missed anything?

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Looking forward to seeing what unveil! I'm personally hoping for the following:
  • Updated Apple TV
  • Apple TV App Store/SDK compatible with previous and new Apple TV models
  • Multi-user iPad login
  • Transit maps
  • A la carte TV service
  • Home app
  • A music service more like Spotify than Beats, integrated into iTunes
  • And at least one big surprise!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The purple square there looks just like an Apple TV. Based on think I think there could be some Apple TV announcements there.
Apple television though? Not a chance in my opinion.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
The purple square there looks just like an Apple TV. Based on think I think there could be some Apple TV announcements there.

The shape is a rounded square.
WWDC is a developer conference.
Developers make apps.
On iOS, app icons are masked to rounded squares.
Apple also makes other products which are rounded squares.

Don't read too much into it.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
C'mon OS X 10.11, with bug fixes and performance improvements!

Edit: And hopefully a system-wide dark mode :)

Last edited:

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL

Agreed - It looks like an AppleTV in the middle. Then, the square and circles around the outside are like buttons. Maybe an AppleTV that focuses on gaming?

irfan22

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
No way we are getting a new music service and new tv service. As a previously mentioned report suggested, the tv service will be delayed until the fall.

Expect....

-iOS 9
-OSX
-New streaming service
-API for AppleTV
-Apple Watch API

I dont see them releasing new hardware until the new tv service starts but it is a possibility. Think about how long the keynote would be if they discussed all these things. Not happening.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Man - if Apple does TV service - and if there's CNN as one of the channels - good ****ing riddance cable. The sole reason I haven't gone to just Hulu/Netflix is because I can't get live news AFAIK. But if I can get 20-25 decent channels and live news? The writing will be on the wall for the crappy cable companies and their *****tain business model.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am trying to think of what to call the meeting I am about to put on my calendar between 10 and 12 pacific. Maybe I will go with something like -

A Personal/Professional Logistic Encounter
Finance Meeting (Apple about to take our money) -- thanks to HobeSoundDarryl

:D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.