Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's much-rumored plans to launch a streaming TV service in the fall were confirmed today at Code Conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California, where CBS CEO Les Moonves told Re/code's Kara Swisher that CBS will "probably" sign a deal with Apple for the network to be included as a launch partner. "We're very excited about it," he told Swisher during his live interview on Wednesday morning.

Code-Conference-CBS-CEO.jpg
CBS CEO Les Moonves speaks with Kara Swisher at Code Conference (Re/code)
Moonves confirmed that he met with Apple senior executive Eddy Cue last week to discuss the plans, as part of an "ongoing conversation" about the upcoming streaming TV service, but said he does not know when the service will launch. The service has been rumored to be unveiled at WWDC next month, but Apple's efforts to include local programming could delay the announcement until later this year.
"Apple TV is trying to change the universe," Moonves said, by offering a smaller bundle of TV networks, delivered over the Web, than pay TV providers traditionally sell. Moonves said Apple's effort was similar to ones that have already launched from Dish Network's Sling and Sony's Vue.

"I think the age of the 200 channel universe is slowly dying," Moonves said. "The good news for us, is any one of those groups will need CBS," adding that his network will get a bigger proportion of whatever revenues those "skinny bundles" generate than it does in traditional packages.
Apple's web-based TV service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and other devices is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for between $30 to $40 per month, anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN and FX. The service is expected to be available in the United States this September if Apple can secure content agreements in time.

Article Link: CBS Likely to Reach Streaming TV Deal With Apple, Met With Eddy Cue Last Week

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Very hopeful that any potential deals are compelling and actually worth it for cord cutters (and everyone, for that matter).
I cut cable over a decade ago. I have an Apple TV because it delivers the content I want without high-priced cable. The often seen "sign-in with your provider" notice on many of the "channels" has been pretty worthless to me.

To be clear, I do understand that there are cable users who love the freedom to watch shows on their own timeline with Apple TV. I'm just speaking as a cord cutter.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apple's streaming TV service will reportedly be anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN and FX. The web-based TV service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and other devices is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for between $30 to $40 per month.

I really hope Apple will secure at least few more compelling networks on coming months. $30-40/month is not exactly competitive, even after factoring in on-demand feature.

What I would like is ability to create my own package by purchasing theme-based bundles: sports ($10), kids ($5), movies ($10), news ($5), lifestyle ($5), international ($5), and networks ($10), where minimum package must cost something like $10/month.

RipsMctits

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
People watch CBS? People still watch broadcast television? It's 2015. I don't even have the cable line hooked to my television.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Seems like that guy just accidentally gave a lot of info out. At least provided much earlier confirmation than apple would have liked to have seen I think. He just kind of spoke for everybody.

Normally "100%" confirmation doesn't come until within like two days of an event. My memory could be a little shaky on that.

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
40 for apple's service plus 20 for sling tv plus 15 for hbo.

yeah, i'm so glad i cut the cable cord only to replace it with the streaming cord.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahah

breathe

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh sides splitting

hahahahahhahahaha

Apple's streaming TV service will reportedly be anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, FOX, ESPN and FX. The web-based TV service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and other devices is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for between $30 to $40 per month. The service is expected to be available in September if Apple can secure content agreements in time.

over priced!

hahaha

I'll stick with netflix and their finger on the pulse pricing. I don't need a tv on my internet. This is not 1985

who put these people in charge hahaha

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
I really don't understand why this is so important to people... There are so few things on TV that are actually good/substantive anymore. Anything good I find in video form anymore is literally on Youtube...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
we priced it so we can continue to enjoy our lives of indulgence and extravagance whilst doing nothing all that meaningful. **** the little guy, **** the man on the street. We are the rich and we want it all.

Nexramous

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
Same thing different name

I don't understand how this is revolutionary... This is the same price as what I am currently playing for the cable portion of my bill for more channels. I am all for apple "changing cable" but it needs to be cheaper than the competition, otherwise it’s just another "cable" option. As it stands, all they are doing is lowering the amount of channels you get for the same price you are currently paying.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Too bad Steve isn't around to put fear into these executives for leaking confidential details before they are announced. Dr. Dre was basically rewarded for leaking the Beats deal.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
I know I'm dreaming but I want any one channel for $5 per month. Any eight channels for $20. For 30-40 bucks a month I better be able to choose like 30 channels I want, not some bundle crap where I still only watch 25% of the channels offered.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
The often seen "sign-in with your provider" notice on many of the "channels" has been pretty worthless to me.

Same here, when you try to watch a channel which you get with your regular cable package on your iPhone or iPad with their apps, they tell you that you do not have that network and have to sign up for it.
(FiOs, trying to watch NHL play offs)

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
But will it do live sports??

Will the old networks do live sports for a price? Bet they will. They hate cable with the heat of a thousand suns. I'd advocate that the old networks build out digital on-air channels (paid for by advertising) locally, encouraging the cable jerks to go back to their old role: making sure you get clean pictures on all those live antenna channels, and carrying fast, cheap Internet so you can subscribe to the pay programming you want, or buy a la carte. Which will mean direct money to actual content producers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.