Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superdos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2015
I'm probably some sort of goof for trying to make this happen, but I recently acquired a mid-2006? black Macbook A1181 with a Core Duo T2500 onboard, and it's pretty wrecked. I have to replace the entire top casing and bottom casing, optical drive (which will probably get a hard drive adapter) and the heatsink fan as that's gone sticky... Thanks Sunon.

I've looked and it seems there's been interest in the far past in replacing the logic board in these suckers with something newer, and to that extent, more efficient. I'm perfectly comfortable and able to do a logic board swap, as I've had to do it numerous times in the past on client machines that I've fixed-- but never an upgrade. Some forum posts from here on MacRumors and other sites have pointed that some things are going to need replacing such as the actual CPU heatsink as from one model to the next they revised it down to one temperature sensor, something with an inverter cable...? and something else about a bluetooth module.

Has anyone ever attempted to do any sort of swapping between the original design 13.3 Macbooks before, and if so, how does one go about it? Preferrably I'd like to move up to at least something with a T8100 2.1 or T8300 2.4, as I can already find logic boards on eBay for under $40 for that amount.

Currently if I just go about getting replacements for the system as it stands it will cost me about $50 in parts which includes the bottom casing, upper assembly with diffferent keys missing than mine currently, and a delta fan instead of a Sunon Maglev. May consider an Adda if I can find one cheap, they tend to make pretty good fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.