Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

General Motors and its Chevrolet brand are announcing today expansive plans to bring support for both CarPlay and Android Auto to fourteen vehicle models for the 2016 model year, a move that will mark a significant step forward for the availability of enhanced in-car smartphone experiences. The first Chevy vehicles with CarPlay support will be the Tahoe, Suburban, and Volt, all of which are scheduled to enter production in July, with the remainder of the CarPlay lineup rolling out as the new models launch in subsequent months.

chevy_carplay_abram.jpg
GM chief infotainment officer Phil Abram introducing CarPlay and Android Auto support for Chevrolet

MacRumors attended a media event with Chevrolet marketing director Steve Majoros and GM chief infotainment officer Phil Abram yesterday where the company discussed its commitment to giving customers the flexibility to use both iPhones and Android phones responsibly while in the car and its desire to make a splash with a broad set of models that represented over half of Chevrolet's global sales in 2014.
For the 2016 model year, Chevrolet will offer Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility in more models than any automotive brand. The 14 Chevrolet models include the all-new 2016 Cruze, which will debut on June 24. Cruze is Chevrolet’s best-selling passenger car, with more than 3 million sold since launch.
Among the 14 models, CarPlay and Android Auto will be supported on all vehicles with 7-inch or 8-inch MyLink screens, which will include most trim lines. CarPlay support will be available as all of these new models hit the dealerships, while Android Auto support will initially be limited to those with 7-inch screens while 8-inch screen support is planned for later in the model year.

Supported 2016 Vehicles

- 7-inch Screens: Spark, Cruze, Malibu, Camaro, Camaro Convertible, Silverado, Silverado HD

- 8-inch Screens: Cruze, Malibu, Impala, Volt, Camaro, Camaro Convertible, Corvette, Corvette Convertible, Colorado, Silverado, Silverado HD, Tahoe, Suburban

Staff from Apple and Chevrolet were on hand at the event to answer questions about CarPlay integration, with Apple staff emphasizing the company's desire to make CarPlay available to as many users as possible by opening up the specification to all interested auto manufacturers. Apple also believes it is key for CarPlay to integrate with automakers' own in-dash systems rather than pushing for something like a dash-mounted iPad, giving the car companies flexibility to leverage CarPlay as they see it best fitting with their systems.
“For most of us, our smartphones are essential,” said Mary Barra, CEO of General Motors. “Partnering with Apple and Google to offer CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility across the widest range of models in the industry is a great example of how Chevrolet continues to democratize technology that’s important to our customers.”
Apple's representatives also highlighted the company's early focus on support for third-party audio apps due to the clear demand for such functionality in the car. The company may open up APIs for other functionalities to let additional third-party apps gain CarPlay support in the future, but Apple is being conservative considering the duty it and the automakers have toward minimizing driver distraction.

With the recent addition of the Apple Watch, Apple also highlighted the way the watch and CarPlay can work together through the linked iPhone to minimize driver distractions, such as with fewer notifications being passed to the Apple Watch and less mapping information available on the wrist when the user's iPhone is in CarPlay mode. With some information already being made available through the dashboard, there is less need for it to appear on the Apple Watch.

chevrolet_carplay.jpg

We asked Apple and GM about the potential for wireless CarPlay support, which was spotted in early betas of iOS 8.3 but not included in the final release. Chevrolet's initial CarPlay support will require the user's iPhone to be connected via a Lightning cable, but that will likely change in the years to come as future models gain Wi-Fi support for their in-dash systems.

Chevrolet was one of the first brands to offer support for Siri Eyes Free mode in select vehicles and has been one of the more highly visible CarPlay partners as Apple and auto manufacturers have demoed the technology over the past year. Earlier this year, the 2016 Volt was spotted carrying CarPlay support on the floor at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Announced over a year ago, CarPlay has taken a fair bit of time to come to market given vehicle development cycles and other factors, although a host of car manufacturers have committed to supporting the technology. Ferrari was the first to bring CarPlay-compatible systems to market late last year, followed quic... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Chevrolet Bringing CarPlay and Android Auto to 14 New 2016 Models Later This Year

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
This article is wrong. There was no wireless Carplay support made available in iOS 8.3. It was in an early beta build but has not ever been released publicly.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
does anyone know if there are any aftermarket head units that support the new wireless CarPlay? either on the market or announced?

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
We asked Apple and GM about the potential for wireless CarPlay support, which became available as part of iOS 8.3 last month, but the companies had no announcements to make on that front. Chevrolet's initial CarPlay support will require the user's iPhone to be connected via a Lightning cable, but that will likely change in the years to come as future models gain Wi-Fi support for their in-dash systems.

Article Link: Chevrolet Bringing CarPlay and Android Auto to 14 New 2016 Models Later This Year

No it didn't.

Edit: i see that the article was updated

Last edited:

Nexramous

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
does anyone know if there are any aftermarket head units that support the new wireless CarPlay? either on the market or announced?

Seconded! I am not interested in buying a new car for this feature. I am however interested in putting this feature in my existing car.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
This article is wrong. There was no wireless Carplay support made available in iOS 8.3. It was in an early beta build but has not ever been released publicly.

Every news source and wikipedia all say that 8.3 includes support for wireless CarPlay... but I don't see anything official from Apple and I obviously can't test it since I don't have CarPlay in my car.

Any sources?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This will be an interesting experiment. I have read tons of studies that those with more disposable income purchase Apple while those with less purchase Android. If true, it will be interesting how this plays out in the cars. Will luxury cars tend for CarPlay? Will higher trim levels of non-luxury cars also tend towards Apple? And conversely will the cheap cars or the base models tend towards Google?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Huh! Didn't realize they were still making the Volt. Interesting. Been thinking about picking up a prius in the next couple years; perhaps I'll give... Chevrolet... another look. Words I never thought I'd say...

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
This is great.

The only thing I hope is that automakers bring CarPlay as an update to their current entertainment systems that support it.

For example, Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge all use a system they call Uconnect. It supports OS updates and apps. It should in theory be able to support CarPlay as a system update, but Jeep has been hush hush about their plans.

Given that their entertainment systems are impossible to upgrade with an aftermarket headunit by Pioneer or Alpine due to Uconnect controlling all the settings in the vehicle as well as climate control, etc, it'd be great if they could provide an update or even a hardware upgrade, I'm willing to shell out up to $1000 for the upgrade.

I hope they don't expect their current users to go out and buy a 2016 model just to have a feature that can be easily expanded to their current lineup of vehicles.

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
CarPlay has been available to you via third-party, aftermarket head units. they came out late last summer.

yes...quite aware....but now that newer cars have more features its becoming more and more problematic to incorporate aftermarket units. Ive looked into the pioneer App radio - which is basically all an iphone user needs - a screen with speaker amp and carplay support. howeve,. to incorporate other car items ie usb/aux port, back up camera, microphone, car diagnostics etc you need to jump through hoops to make it all seamless, whereas id prefer my car to just come carplay equiped

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I'm really surprised the Spark is mentioned but the Sonic isn't. I was under the impression their ICE systems were pretty much identical, at least with the outgoing MyLink setup.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
This will be an interesting experiment. I have read tons of studies that those with more disposable income purchase Apple while those with less purchase Android. If true, it will be interesting how this plays out in the cars. Will luxury cars tend for CarPlay? Will higher trim levels of non-luxury cars also tend towards Apple? And conversely will the cheap cars or the base models tend towards Google?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't think you understand how CarPlay and Android Auto work...

The auto maker doesn't have to pick one or the other unless they have some kind of exclusive partnership.

CarPlay and Auto are simply software running on the entertainment center's computer.

As far as I've understood, Apple isn't making any exclusive deals with automakers, it makes no sense and would only alienate people.

If they already have an iPhone, they'll want to use CarPlay. If they already have an Android phone, they'll want to use Auto.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There aren't really CarPlay head units with Wi-Fi support available, but the wireless CarPlay setting that was present in early betas of iOS 8.3 is not in the final release. I've updated the article to correct that.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Yes really. The tech media does not check anything. One source says it and they all repeat it. I tell you what. Find me a SINGLE source out of ALL the internet of wireless Carplay actually working. Anywhere.

In fact, go through any and all documents about iOS 8.3 put out by Apple and show me even a HINT of wireless carplay being one of the features it introduced.

I'll be waiting...

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
it's also available in new VW cars now. (at least in europe, don't know about the US)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
There aren't really CarPlay head units with Wi-Fi support available, but the wireless CarPlay setting that was present in early betas of iOS 8.3 is not in the final release. I've updated the article to correct that.

Thank you. Also, the Alpine ILX-007 does support wireless Carplay. It is the only one I know of so far.

edgr.sanchez

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
Will Siri put the key back in the ignition after it falls out?

Most luxury and medium end vehicles after 2014/2015 don't use a key to turn the ignition, the key fob sits in your pocket and you just press the starter button on the dashboard.

I'm guessing Siri could remind you that your key fob is in your pocket though.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Thank you. Also, the Alpine ILX-007 does support wireless Carplay. It is the only one I know of so far.

My understanding is the Wi-Fi capabilities have not yet been activated in that unit, unless we missed some other news. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.