Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hi,

found this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/HIJYL_AmqX0

Do you think this feature will also come to the standalone version of Lightroom because he is always talking about cc. I just bought Lightroom 6 and I knew they said new features only with cc but I didn't imagine Adobe will kick our butts this early with new features. I simply don't need Photoshop and don't want to pay 10 bugs every month if I can get the full version for around 100€. It would be ok if they do this after a year or two but a month after release? Come on Adobe.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
This is part and parcel of stepping up from LR 6 to LR CC. I will likely use PS very little. Dang glad I stepped up to CC. Way to go Adobe. Show everyone the extra value in CC vs LR 6!!!! :D

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Hi,

found this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/HIJYL_AmqX0

Do you think this feature will also come to the standalone version of Lightroom because he is always talking about cc. I just bought Lightroom 6 and I knew they said new features only with cc but I didn't imagine Adobe will kick our butts this early with new features. I simply don't need Photoshop and don't want to pay 10 bugs every month if I can get the full version for around 100€. It would be ok if they do this after a year or two but a month after release? Come on Adobe.

One of the advantages of the subscription is faster access to new features. Indeed, CC subscribers got 6 "free" too. You may get it anyway, or maybe have to wait. Come on...you get what you pay for. Perhaps you should look into DxO's dehaze tool, it's as least as good as Adobe's. But that costs money too.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
. It would be ok if they do this after a year or two but a month after release? Come on Adobe.

One of the reasons Adobe went with a subscription model, according to them, is because it allows them to do continuous development and release functionality into the product as soon as it is ready, instead of having to wait until they have enough to bundle into a release.

Now, this isn't really happening as they still bundle, but they release at least 2 major functional releases each year for Photoshop, typically spring/mid year and fall/late year, so it's obvious it was coming.

Actually as soon as Adobe properly integrated Lightroom into CC, I expected them to release new functionality quickly. Especially since 6/CC was more about cleanup and speed than new functionality.

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Even tough all the talk is of Lightroom CC, I'll be surprised if it is not in the next point release of Lightroom 6.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I posted this also in the comments to the news article but maybe it's good to also mention it here:

Yes Lightroom 6.1 doesn't come with the dehaze tool, but there is a workaround. If you have a preset that applies the dehaze effect it will be renderd in Lightroom 6.1 because it uses the same camera raw than Lightroom CC.
At http://prolost.com/blog/dehaze you can get some presets for a wide range of the slider and in the near future there will be someone who also do all 201 possibilities in a preset pack so you can also use this feature completly in 6.1 and above ;-)

Maybe there is also a way to edit some Lightroom files to activte these sliders in the normal version.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I posted this also in the comments to the news article but maybe it's good to also mention it here:

Yes Lightroom 6.1 doesn't come with the dehaze tool, but there is a workaround. If you have a preset that applies the dehaze effect it will be renderd in Lightroom 6.1 because it uses the same camera raw than Lightroom CC.
At http://prolost.com/blog/dehaze you can get some presets for a wide range of the slider and in the near future there will be someone who also do all 201 possibilities in a preset pack so you can also use this feature completly in 6.1 and above ;-)

Maybe there is also a way to edit some Lightroom files to activte these sliders in the normal version.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Wouldn't be easier to just get Adobe to give you credit for LR6 towards CC where you get the the latest LR and PS for the rest of the year?

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Wouldn't be easier to just get Adobe to give you credit for LR6 towards CC where you get the the latest LR and PS for the rest of the year?
Easier? It's a simple download, and it works well. Dehase is a nice feature, but it's sure not worth the cost of a subscription to me.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
from the FAQ

Are there any features of Lightroom available exclusively to Creative Cloud members?
Lightroom mobile is exclusive to Creative Cloud.

Starting with the Lightroom CC (2015.1) update, the following features are exclusive to Creative Cloud members:

• Dehaze
  • Local adjustments for Blacks/Whites

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Through not adding new functions to the standalone version, they are forcing more and more people their subscription model, which is understandable however I hope they keep developing a standalone version as well. I imagine this can simply backfire on Adobe where more and more people will switch to competition who offers similar level of tools.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
What competition? Where else do you get the same set of capabilities of both Lr and Ps from one company for $120? Granted there are competitors for Lr such as Capture One Pro and competitors for Ps such as Pixelmatr. But those are from two different companies and not for one price....especially for as low as $10 a month. CP1 is $15 a month all by itself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 7.15.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 7.15.25 AM.png
    57 KB · Views: 153

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
I don't mind paying for software, that has high set of capabilities such as Photoshop or Illustrator, I simply want to own the licence, knowing that I can open my files after years and I can use it whenever I can. Of course, there are two groups of people when it comes to subscription software but I'm definitely not a fan at the moment. As it has been said above, I resist the subscription model for as long as I can. I like how Microsoft does it. They offer a choice, you can go two routes and that's fine.

Also, you can simply buy Capture One Pro and own the licence, you don't have to subscribe. 229 EUR for 2 seats / 1 user - not bad - https://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx.

Reactions: USAntigoon

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
What competition? Where else do you get the same set of capabilities of both Lr and Ps from one company for $120? Granted there are competitors for Lr such as Capture One Pro and competitors for Ps such as Pixelmatr. But those are from two different companies and not for one price....especially for as low as $10 a month. CP1 is $15 a month all by itself.

I am always concerned about how I will edit photos after the Zombie Apocalypse

Reactions: USAntigoon

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I didn't not know this about Lightroom 6 stand alone. They changed that policy after I bought LR 6 stand alone from what I'm seeing, so I'll be calling Adobe today. They got me. They got me good.

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I didn't not not this about Lightroom 6 stand alone. They changed that policy after I bought LR 6 stand alone from what I'm seeing, so I'll be calling Adobe today. They got me. They got me good.

Bummer; this is what I see now. Let us know if Adobe lets you "upgrade" to the CC version.

Voila_Capture 2015-06-22_07-23-19_AM.png

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Easier? It's a simple download, and it works well. Dehase is a nice feature, but it's sure not worth the cost of a subscription to me.
While I think this is a dick move on Adobe's part (why offer Lightroom as a standalone product if you're not willing to fully support it?), it is not surprising: Adobe is almost finished moving its entire business from a licensing to a subscription model. The only thing that took me by surprise is that they offered LR6 as a standalone product to begin with. But judging from these shenanigans, it seems clear now that it is the last “traditional” version of Lightroom. Nevertheless, I think it was a dumb idea on Adobe's part to treat their (often very loyal) customers like this, even if they hide these clauses in the legalese most customers of LR6 I'm sure feel cheated by what they did. IMHO they should have just killed LR6 instead of making them feel that they have purchased a lesser version of Lightroom instead.

And honestly, I don't think Adobe is asking for too much here: they've done a very good job consistently iterating on their products, and they try to improve in areas where they are (were) weak such as the cloud. That costs money, and I don't think it's a significant expense if you're a pro or a more serious amateur photographer. And if you happen to disagree with me (which is fine), there are several serious competitors to most of Adobe's products that are suitable to professionals even (e. g. Illustrator <--> Affinity Design, Lightroom <--> C1). Just keep in mind that if you want software development of your favorite app to continue, it needs to be funded properly — no matter how you pay for software.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Keep in mind:

CC subscription = latest Lr. Ps and Mobile Lr. It does not matter if you only want 1 or two of those...you have the RTU for all 3 for as long as you pay the fee.

LR license = only the version you purchased. This is different than in previous versions such as Lr 5 where you got 5.1 to .57 updates with new features for free. No more free feature updates. And if you wait long enough the version you purchased will no longer work on the latest OS or with other apps and plugins you want to use. A purchased license may legally be forever. But the technical reality is that some day in the future the code is just too old.

That is why I moved from Lr license to CC subscription. I am glad I did. Your milage may vary.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I definitely felt cheated. It wasn't made clear or obvious to me when I made the upgrade purchase, but Adobe took care of me and refund my money and now I'm subscribed (again). It was a dirty move, but they took care of me. Lesson learned, when the writing is on the wall, just go with it.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Even though Lr 6.1 users don't get the Dehaze slider on its own, the functionality is still present in the code and can be enabled through presets. There is a manual workaround but Prolost has provided them for free, which means you can enjoy the function even when you don't like / not prefer Adobe's subscription model - download here: http://prolost.com/blog/dehaze and enjoy! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.