Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, the team behind the battery-boosting "Reserve Strap" for the Apple Watch suggested it was possible to use the hidden 6-pin diagnostic port in the Apple Watch to charge the device, and today they've backed up their claims with a video demonstration.

In the video, an Apple Watch charging on a standard inductive charger is depicted next to one said to be charged through a power supply connected to the 6-pin port on the device. The watch being charged through the port charges slightly faster than the watch on an inductive charger, reaching a 95 percent charge at the same point the other watch reaches a 90 percent charge.

The team behind the Reserve Strap for the Apple Watch plans to use the port to create a band with a backup battery inside, allowing the Apple Watch to be charged while it's on the wrist. The product is still in the early stages of development, but it's available for pre-order for $250 from the company's website.

The Reserve Strap is not currently certified under Apple's recently released accessory program for the Apple Watch, which will allow manufacturers and accessory makers to create approved third-party bands for the device. Apple has outlined a specific set of rules for Apple Watch bands, preventing them from blocking any sensors on the device, but its guidelines do not mention bands that access the 6-pin port. For that reason, Apple's position on Reserve Strap's use of the 6-pin port is unclear.

Apple has not confirmed what purpose the 6-pin port serves, but speculation has suggested it is used by the company for diagnostic purposes. Apple may also be using the port internally for charging, as detailed in documents covering the function of its in-store Apple Watch displays.

It is not known if Apple has plans to expand the usage of the 6-pin port in the future, but TechCrunch has hypothesized that the port could eventually be used for "smart band" accessories to bring additional functionality to the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Apple Watch Shown Charging Through 6-Pin Diagnostic Port in New Video

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Was anyone else expecting this thing to be leaps and bounds faster than the normal method of charging?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I like the idea of giving the watch extra battery simply with the band. I also would like a band with a camera on it to take pictures with and FaceTime with.

TheLastOfConnor

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
To be honest, that wasn't much difference and certainly not worth $250(!!!).

I can wear my Apple Watch all day, lay it on the charger at night and have it ready the next day without ever running into battery issues. I can't see this strap taking off.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I like this idea and all, but if Apple finds a way to make the port not work for charging, these guys are going to be screwed.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How easy is it to actually open that port in the first place, though? Is it possible to hide the fact that you've ever used it after the fact (or would you be giving Apple an easy means of seeing that you've voided the warranty?)

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm excited that this "port" can open a treasure trove to additional bands that are tailored specifically to certain invaluable medical uses etc. very cool

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
To be honest, that wasn't much difference and certainly not worth $250(!!!).

I can wear my Apple Watch all day, lay it on the charger at night and have it ready the next day without ever running into battery issues. I can't see this strap taking off.

Exactly.

The strap becomes one more device to charge for just doubling the battery life. I rather charge the watch for an hour or two daily vs. charging both the band and watch every other day.

While some people might find the strap to be good enough looking, for $250, I personally find it to be quite hideous.

And the company's Twitter feed is making no guarantee as to Apple breaking compatibility in future software update, which is understandable, but again this is $250 strap. I also don't like minimal information on the website. I realize they are still working on the product, but don't take preorder if they can't even share very basic spec.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Is there explicit statement by apple this will void your warranty?

No, but opening the port requires opening the watch, which almost assuredly will void warranty.
ifixitport.jpg

Correction: It seems you can also use a sewing needle to open it. Not sure how easy it can be accomplished without damaging the finish, however:

How to access the hidden Apple Watch 6 pin accessory port

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
They're being very misleading calling it an "accessory report" instead of a diagnostic port. And this method of charging is not theirs, it's Apple's as well...wtf?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Exactly.

The strap becomes one more device to charge for just doubling the battery life. I rather charge the watch for an hour or two daily vs. charging both the band and watch every other day.

While some people might find the strap to be good enough looking, for $250, I personally find it to be quite hideous.

And the company's Twitter feed is making no guarantee as to Apple breaking compatibility in future software update, which is understandable, but again this is $250 strap. I also don't like minimal information on the website. I realize they are still working on the product, but don't take preorder if they can't even share very basic spec.
People use all kinds of battery cases on their phones and happily pay for them. Most don't cost as much, so there's a difference there that can certainly play a role.

Condor191

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
Pennsylvania
Is there explicit statement by apple this will void your warranty?

There is this little catchall in the AppleCare terms...

(ii) The Plan does not apply to damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) abuse, misuse, fire, earthquake or other external causes except as described in section 3.2 above, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I’ll stick with my iMac, iPhone and iPad, thereby saving myself $17,000 on an Apple Watch.

Three computers that tell me the time is enough.

I doubt you could afford the top of the line model. the sensible decision would be one of the sports, but...

trtmn

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
Is it still a sealed system if the port cover is removed?
Will this affect its water resistance?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.