Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
So today was my first day with my Apple Watch. It was charged to 100% and I took it off the charger at 11:00am and went about my day. It's now 8:30pm and my battery is down to 12%. 9 and a half hours to 12%.... This doesn't seem too good, especially considering there wasn't heavy usage. Here is what I used it for today:

- Alerts that came up on it: Handful of Gmail / Mail / Facebook / SMS messages.

- I also sent about a dozen SMS messages from the watch.

- I used GPS on the watch for about 10 mins total (or less)

- I ran it all day with the brightness at the lowest setting

- Sound was on mute all day

- Had one 15 minute walk

And now it's almost dead. Please tell me this is some sort of "first charge doesn't last as long but after that it will run much longer" kind of thing or something.... otherwise, having an almost dead watch at 9.5 hrs of use and really not doing that much on it is kind of.... terrible....

Anyone else have similar experiences or recommendations?

Reminder: my brightness is all the way down, I'm set to mute and only exercised for 15 mins... I know how to turn off the heart sensor, but I'd rather not start disabling all the features of this thing to get promised battery life....

Thoughts?

Rhcpcjg

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Sounds odd, I started my day early at 8am, used gps, received a bunch of notifications, tracked a 45 minute run, played around with the watch a little bit, and now its 9:45pm here and im sitting here watching the nba playoffs and my watch is at 49%.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
So today was my first day with my Apple Watch. It was charged to 100% and I took it off the charger at 11:00am and went about my day. It's now 8:30pm and my battery is down to 12%. 9 and a half hours to 12%.... This doesn't seem too good, especially considering there wasn't heavy usage. Here is what I used it for today:

- Had one 15 minute walk

And now it's almost dead. Please tell me this is some sort of "first charge doesn't last as long but after that it will run much longer" kind of thing or something.... otherwise, having an almost dead watch at 9.5 hrs of use and really not doing that much on it is kind of.... terrible....

Reminder: my brightness is all the way down, I'm set to mute and only exercised for 15 mins... I know how to turn off the heart sensor, but I'd rather not start disabling all the features of this thing to get promised battery life....

Thoughts?
Apple Watch App -> Privacy -> Motion & Fitness -> turn fitness tracking off (Unless you need it, I don't..)
My battery life wasn't good until I did this. I left on heart rate monitor though.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Sounds odd, I started my day early at 8am, used gps, received a bunch of notifications, tracked a 45 minute run, played around with the watch a little bit, and now its 9:45pm here and im sitting here watching the nba playoffs and my watch is at 49%.

Was this your first day of use? Or have you had it a while?

----------

Apple Watch App -> Privacy -> Motion & Fitness -> turn fitness tracking off
My battery life wasn't good until I did this. I left on heart rate monitor though.

Oh man, it would be a shame to have to do that though! That's such a great feature/selling point of the watch!

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
You shouldn't need to do any of those suggestions. My watch lasts just fine. I'd get it checked out.

Rhcpcjg

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
Was this your first day of use? Or have you had it a while?

I have had the phone for almost a week now and havent had a bad battery life day. And its pointless to turn off all those features such as hey siri or fitness tracking, they are really helpful. Id say you give your watch a couple more days to test out the battery.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
There seem to be enough people dropping 4% after a 45 minute run and an hour of downtime that those with battery issues shouldn't have to start turning off features to stretch the battery. Whether it is a software issue soaking up battery or a genuine faulty hint, some batteries are clearly running down faster.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Based on what was posted here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21365304#post21365304

I'm hoping that it's a case of the battery needing to charge/discharge a few times in order to be able to hold a full charge for the proper amount of time.

Now that I think about it, I actually had terrible battery life on my first charge with my Pebble watch and on my second charge it was perfectly fine... fingers crossed.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
The first day I used my watch the battery didn't last the day. After that first day I usually have between 45 % -30 % battery left at the end of the day.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
If you selected to automatically populate ur apps from phone to watch, you will use up a lot of battery.

Mine usually goes 1.5 days before requiring a charge. 50 percent plus at the end of te day.

Turning off hey siri doesnt do much for me. About the same with it on or off.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
If you selected to automatically populate ur apps from phone to watch, you will use up a lot of battery.

Mine usually goes 1.5 days before requiring a charge. 50 percent plus at the end of te day.

Turning off hey siri doesnt do much for me. About the same with it on or off.

How do you turn it off? I can't find the option.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
I have all features of mine on, including the wrist to activate screen (I decided to use it after all). I use mine from 4:30am till around 10pm-11pm everyday. It never goes into power reserve mode.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I have all features of mine on, including the wrist to activate screen (I decided to use it after all). I use mine from 4:30am till around 10pm-11pm everyday. It never goes into power reserve mode.

Was your battery this good on the first day?

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA

- Had one 15 minute walk

Thoughts?

Read through some of the other battery threads. You don't have to turn of hey Siri or anything else. Charge your watch overnight and give it a few days to "break in" and you'll be fine.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
Was your battery this good on the first day?

Would that really make a difference? I'm honestly asking. I didn't charge it the first day until that night. I ran the first half day I had it on the shipped charge. That second day yeah it never got that low.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Would that really make a difference? I'm honestly asking. I didn't charge it the first day until that night. I ran the first half day I had it on the shipped charge. That second day yeah it never got that low.

The only day I had bad battery life was the first day. I usually have at least 30% (usually more) after wearing it from 8am- midnight.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
My battery life on day one was worse than day two and every day after. Give it another day. It coulda been doing background stuff like syncing your photos or something idk

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
Turn off 'Hey Siri' and your battery life will last A LOT longer.

Why do you guys turn off these useful features like hey Siri and heart rate monitor? i would go through notification settings and turn off useless notifications. Also go into privacy > location services and turn off locations from apps you don't use. Some apps use you location services in the background which can drain your battery. Doing this not only helped my phone battery life but also allows me to have an all day battery life for the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.