Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Today got an iPhone 5C in blue and it works well on Verizon. What steps should I take at this point?

I converted from a Samsung Galaxy S5. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What steps to take in what sense? What is it that you want to do?

EdenTan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
Set it up? Download your apps and configure your settings?

I have a 5C in blue too. Enjoying it a lot

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Cool I was wondering what apps should I download that are cool and useful? Kinda want a crowdsourced opinion here.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Think about what it is you want to do for the moment. Then go find an app for that in the App store and install it.

Pretty much anything you can think of as far as need/want is covered in the App store, one way or the other.

If it isn't and it's something you still want/need it might be something jailbreaking can cover.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Today got an iPhone 5C in blue and it works well on Verizon. What steps should I take at this point?

I converted from a Samsung Galaxy S5. :)

re turn it and get a iphone 5S or 6 + you get more IOS updates with iphone 5S and 6 iphone 5C is runing out of time for IOS updates + after a few days useing it i dont think you be happy with for 2 years so i hop you are sure that is the phone you want for 2 years i would re turn it and get at lest the iphone 5S

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Keep an eye on the free app of the week on the App Store. You can pick up some great apps that way. Also, Starbucks gives out apps every once in a while.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…i dont think you be happy with for 2 years so i hop you are sure that is the phone you want for 2 years i would re turn it and get at lest the iphone 5S
I have the iPhone 5. I've used it for two and a half years. I'm quite happy with it.

I'm replacing it with an iPhone 6+ this week but that's not because I got tired or unhapy with my iPhone 5.

I know people with the iPhone 4 and the 3GS. Their phones run apps, they make calls, texts and use iMessage and they do fine with their phones.

Perhaps the OP didn't buy a blue 5c because he was concerned about updates or running apps that require him to be on the bleeding edge of Apple tech.

EdenTan

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2015
I have the iPhone 5. I've used it for two and a half years. I'm quite happy with it.

I'm replacing it with an iPhone 6+ this week but that's not because I got tired or unhapy with my iPhone 5.

I know people with the iPhone 4 and the 3GS. Their phones run apps, they make calls, texts and use iMessage and they do fine with their phones.

Perhaps the OP didn't buy a blue 5c because he was concerned about updates or running apps that require him to be on the bleeding edge of Apple tech.

I'm teenager and my iPad mini 2&5C are still serving me well. I don't feel the need the upgrade. I've personally used a couple of 5S-es and 1 iPhone 6 and I am able to downgrade back to the 5C.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014

By the way, I also own an iPhone 6 but right now I'm still waiting for the divorce settlement results to figure out whether my wife or me gets the device.

So right now it's an iPhone 5c. It works for me and does what I need to do. Play music and do the apps that I need.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
By the way, I also own an iPhone 6 but right now I'm still waiting for the divorce settlement results to figure out whether my wife or me gets the device.

iPhone custody. Wow.

Anyway: if I were just getting my iPhone and starting fresh, I would take a look at my wallet and see what in there could be converted for use on the iPhone. You have a 5C so Apple Pay is out of the question. But, loyalty cards aren't. Got a starbucks gift card? Get the Starbucks app. Bank credit/debit cards? See if you bank has a mobile banking app. Get Money Pro to balance your checkbook and your budget. If you have store loyalty cards, see fi they have apps. Most can convert those plastic cards into barcodes on your phone, emptying up your wallet a bit.

Are you frequent flyer? Get the apps for each airline you travel on. Mobile boarding passes are awesome.

Got prescriptions? Get your pharmacy's app. Refill right from your phone when you need it.

What kind of work do you do? See if there are apps that can help you in your job. As for me, I enjoy being able to ssh into servers at work from my iOS devices, as well as monitoring their health.

Into photography? Want to see image metatada right on your phone? You need ViewEXIF.

Get VLC. It's a bit gimped on iOS due to some odd GNU licensing issues with certain codecs, but it's still more versatile a media player than the built in QuickTime player.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
re turn it and get a iphone 5S or 6 + you get more IOS updates with iphone 5S and 6 iphone 5C is runing out of time for IOS updates + after a few days useing it i dont think you be happy with for 2 years so i hop you are sure that is the phone you want for 2 years i would re turn it and get at lest the iphone 5S

The iPhone 5 and 5C are actually miles better than the 6 and 6+ in one key area, that of app and browser tab reloading. Despite having the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 6 and 6+, the fact they are 32Bit devices means that they use less RAM...meaning more is 'spare'. So in effect they have more RAM. Both the i6 and 6+ have insufficient RAM and I wouldn't like to be lumbered with one on a 24 month contract. I can't wait to get rid of my 6+ and I've only had it five months.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The iPhone 5 and 5C are actually miles better than the 6 and 6+ in one key area, that of app and browser tab reloading. Despite having the same amount of RAM as the iPhone 6 and 6+, the fact they are 32Bit devices means that they use less RAM...meaning more is 'spare'. So in effect they have more RAM. Both the i6 and 6+ have insufficient RAM and I wouldn't like to be lumbered with one on a 24 month contract. I can't wait to get rid of my 6+ and I've only had it five months.
Been having just as much--or basically just as little--tab reloading on my iPhone 6 as I've had on my iPhone 5.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Been having just as much--or basically just as little--tab reloading on my iPhone 6 as I've had on my iPhone 5.

That isn't my experience at all. The i5 running 7.1.2 reloads apps and browser tabs *way* less readily than my 6+.
The 6+ performs like it has 512Mb and the i5 like it has 1GB OF RAM.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
That isn't my experience at all. The i5 running 7.1.2 reloads apps and browser tabs *way* less readily than my 6+.
The 6+ performs like it has 512Mb and the i5 like it has 1GB OF RAM.

Not my experience. I had way more lag and reloads on my 5 then I do on my 6. That was when I updated the 5 to iOS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.