Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Hello all. I'm on vacation and went to Busch gardens in Tampa. I was there 8 hours. How is my exercise bar not filled all the way up when I walked almost 7.5 miles? What am I missing here? Thanks for the input.
c3a13ef1caeb3616388b229c668ab386.jpg
f7cc5872ad91267ca85979f935bf3813.jpg
11f81454db2913e6793f8e327eaea099.jpg

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hello all. I'm on vacation and went to Busch gardens in Tampa. I was there 8 hours. How is my exercise bar not filled all the way up when I walked almost 7.5 miles? What am I missing here? Thanks for the input.

The walk has to have your heart rate increased over normal, for it to count as exercise.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Like the others said that much walking over that long of a period do not constitute exercise. Try setting the watch for an "Outdoor Walk" and do a mile in 15-20 minutes and it will record it as exercise.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Wow you got way more credit for exercise than I did last week during a 4 hour steep canyon hike! I got only one or two minutes of credit. I didn't even get credit for that many calories burned. Yet when I sat on the bus for several hours I got an insane amount of calories credited just for sitting on my butt!

Also when I got really mad at this one psycho "friend" of mine, I got credited for exercise! So, apparently losing my temper is exercise to my Apple Watch! I'm not that much of a hothead anymore but there are three people who can really set me off and this one person in particular can get me ranting for hours. That can't be healthy. Neverthless, the two days that this narcissistic fiend got me worked up gave me some of the most easily earned exercise credits I've had on this watch.

Also for some reason when I first got the Apple Watch I seemed to advance the exercise ring further than now, even though I was more sedentary the first week I got the watch.

I'm really baffled by all of this. :(

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Were you pushing a stroller or holding your hand relatively still as you walked? I don't know specifically about the Apple Watch, but most fitness trackers get a little thrown if your arms aren't swinging freely.

So for example, you could walk for a 1/2 hr in the grocery store and find that it doesn't register if you were pushing a cart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.