Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwiftBunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
Hello,
I started not long ago learning mysql. I'm building a mobile app (in swift) with collegues that will require databases hosted on a server (I will be working on my computer during the development, I'm a poor student), and that will be able to manage transactions. I will be mostly working on windows, but having a crossplatform ide would really be a plus.
I need an IDE easy to learn (and hard to master), a nice looking IDE with all the "features" I talked about would be great. I don't exactly know what I'm looking for, because I don't exactly know what I'm talking about either. Any suggestions/comments/tips would be nice, because I don't see everything I will require in the future. :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What have you tried?

Here's what I did. I googled the search terms mySQL IDE. Those are just the obvious terms directly from your thread title.

Here are two of the top results:
http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/3880961/Top-10-MySQL-GUI-Tools.htm
http://www.mysql.com/products/workbench/

If you've already tried any of those tools and found them lacking, then please describe what you've tried.

If you haven't tried anything, then try some simple things like google searches or reading articles.

SwiftBunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I visited those sites before and didn't try any of those IDEs yet. I guess I'll come back in a few weeks when I have more experience in the matter. But like I said, I have no deep knowledge of mysql, nor integrating it to a mobile iOs app. Thought I could get some headstart advice so I don't have to get familiar with too many IDEs before I find the one I need.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
How about Navicat

I currently find Navicat for SQLite to be my favorite database IDE so far.

They also have versions for MySQL.

Navicat Essentials for MySQL is a stripped down version at a lower price point.

Navicat for MySQL is a more full featured package with many features to grow into.

But really, even the Essentials version offers growing room in terms of features to learn.

You can find these titles on the Mac App Store as well as at the Navicat website.

I think the MySQL version even offers an iOS companion app that lets you log in and administer databases from your iPhone or iPad.

They have many titles to choose from, so make sure you choose the correct one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.