Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
hey guys,

I am on the market for a sound bar mainly for music, so thats the most important aspect, and I am trying to be somewhat economical with my choice.

I am pretty much sold on the Denon DHT-S514 bar.

Amazon has a sweet deal where you can get it for $499 new (usually 599) or refurb for 399.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXXSI9I/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=64674176712&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&h vrand=12548261718490308265&hvpone=499.00&hvptwo=&h vqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_10vjvcicxh_b

Trying to save a buck, does anyone have any qualms buying a refurbished speaker? I've never purchased anything secondhand before lol.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Personally I'd go for refurb. It's unlikely that you would notice difference when comparing side by side with a new unit.

Doubt I would.

I am just concerned about the reliability of a refurb unit, and whether anyone has done this with speakers or from amazon in general.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I haven't bought a refurb on amazon, but I do often buy their "warehouse deals" products, which are essentially just open box returns. I haven't had any major issues, and the one time there was an issue it was free and easy to return the item.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I am curious why you opt for a sound bar as opposed to the conventional 2 separate speakers if music is your main interest. Given that the tweeters are reasonable size, the mid/bass size speakers sit on the small side. This means that the sub would have to extend upwards to overlap the bottom of those mid/bass sound bar speakers and become directional at some level.

If you are insistent on this particular item, perhaps the refurb would be good IF* it has a reasonable return policy if you are unhappy. - Similar if you opt for a new box.

Last edited:

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I am curious why you opt for a sound bar as opposed to the conventional 2 separate speakers if music is your main interest. Given that the tweeters are reasonable size, the mid/bass size speakers sit on the small side. This means that the sub would have to extend upwards to overlap the bottom of those mid/bass sound bar speakers and become directional at some level.

If you are insistent on this particular item, perhaps the refurb would be good IF* it has a reasonable return policy if you are unhappy. - Similar if you opt for a new box.

Go to your magnolia section in the local best buy store and you'll know why, especially given the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.