Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Saw this story on Sony Alpha Rumors this morning (I've been stalking them for information about the rumored A7000 Sony mirrorless camera). Anyway, seems like Apple may be going with Sony's new RGBW sensor for the iPhone 6S. I find it interesting because this sensor supposedly:

• Is 12mp which matches recent rumors
  • Is able to increase resolution without increasing noise

While the individual pixels of the Sony models are extremely minute at 1.12μm, the incorporation of the “RBGW Coding” function has realized a SN ratio (signal-to-noise ratio) equivalent to that of a unit pixel size of 1.4μm under conventional methods, which in turn has enables the image sensors to achieve a higher resolution at a more compact size.

Here is a photo comparison of the improvement:

Schermata01-2455950alle155157.png

Link to article: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-has-a-new-12-mp-rgbw-sensor-for-the-next-iphone/

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I especially hope that shooting video in low-light conditions improve.

But yeah, Sony's RGBW sensors appear to be quite good.

2000611628.jpeg

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I especially hope that shooting video in low-light conditions improve.

Yeah especially when shooting at 60 FPS. I don't know why Apple can't incorporate a 60 FPS toggle switch in the corner like they do for slow-mo speed. It's annoying to go dig through the settings to change it. I mean, it says 60 FPS right there in the corner like it says 240/120 FPS on the slo-mo. It just needs to change to 30 FPS when you tap it. I'll be outside with my kid and want to record at the faster speed for more fluid video/future proofing and then in the evening indoors 60 is way too fast for the available light. Heck, sometimes 30 is, but at least it's more usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.