Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has announced that Inbox by Gmail can now be used by everyone with no invitation required, and the search company has also updated the email app with Trip Bundles, Undo Send functionality on mobile, the option to select "Delete" as the default swiping action, custom signatures, suggested reminders and more.

Trip Bundles combine all of your emails about a trip, such as flight times and hotel reservation numbers, enabling you to view them instantly after opening Inbox. Google's screenshots below, for example, show a Trip Bundle for London that displays information for a flight from Austin to London, Hertz car rental from the airport and a weeklong hotel reservation at The Blue Hotel.

Inbox-by-Gmail-TripBundles-800x708.jpg
The latest version of Inbox improves upon many core features of the app, with new Undo Send functionality on mobile for retracting an email right after sending it in case you made a spelling mistake, contacted the wrong person or have second thoughts. Also new is the option to make "Delete" the default swiping action, custom signatures, suggested reminders and the ability to view HotelTonight or Eat24 reservations and food orders directly within Inbox.

Inbox by Gmail is free on the App Store for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Inbox by Gmail' Now Open to Everyone, Updated With Trip Bundles and More

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
tried it and deleted it a few hours later. way too confusing and cluttered. all i need is to see the latest mails on top and thats it. didnt even have a delete button.

Reactions: T14nte

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I don't see the big benefit of snoozing emails, seems like a popular feature in a lot of email applications these days. Honestly it just seems like some form of procrastination. If I need reminded of something important I just set a reminder with Siri and go on with my life.

I say this as someone who is "inbox zero". All of my email is dealt with immediately and sorted into categories that are appropriate if I need to retain them. Some of it is automatically dealt with with filters, but I'm on top of my email and don't see an obvious gap that needs filled or a problem with email as it is.

balk

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
I really like Inbox. I am definitely not an inbox-zero person so during the day, when something comes in which requires more attention than my employer allows me, the email gets snoozed for the night. I also like the fact that emails get grouped. Semi-spam can be dealt with in one go.

Reactions: seecoolguy

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
tried it and deleted it a few hours later. way too confusing and cluttered.

I really wanted to like Inbox. As someone who hates using email, applying intelligence to make sense of my inbox really spoke to me.

But after trying it out for few weeks, I find it to be a pure mess. It makes even less sense than Gmail's tabs, which just doesn't work the way I expect it to work.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Could someone explain this inbox-zero concept? I tried Inbox a couple months ago, but it was confusing, and I didn't like how swipe to delete wasn't an option (fixed now, I guess).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I really wanted to like Inbox. As someone who hates using email, applying intelligence to make sense of my inbox really spoke to me.

But after trying it out for few weeks, I find it to be a pure mess. It makes even less sense than Gmail's tabs, which just doesn't work the way I expect it to work.
Yeah, it's like that for me. I tried out Gmail's tabs and priority inbox and important mail, and Inbox, but ultimately just having a list of emails that I can flag/star as needed and use labels/folders as needed (including using rules/filters) is what still works better and faster for me.

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom

wsellers

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Me either. I think they forgot to include it in the iOS version update. It's supposedly in the newest Android version, which was also released today.

Agreed.... I was happy to see this in the iOS Store... GRRR

View attachment 556466

Inbox by Gmail ‏@inboxbygmail 24m24 minutes ago
@wsellers It will be in settings and is rolling out today. You might not see it quite yet, even if you installed the latest app.

----------

Inbox by Gmail ‏@inboxbygmail 24m24 minutes ago
@wsellers It will be in settings and is rolling out today. You might not see it quite yet, even if you installed the latest app.

It seems that it MIGHT be active for just @Gmail.com users --- hosted app email addresses might be coming soon.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
how is this different the Gmail app? Or is this the gmail app upgrade? so confused.

Gmail app has too small of type and was a bit slow although I think they improved that a bit when I used it a few days ago.

The only reason I have and occasionally use the gmail app is i like the 5 default tabs (categories) used to sort your email. Be nice if the iOS Mail app could mimic the sorting gmail does.

I never did understand half the folders in Gmail though.

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Hit the 3 bar menu on the top left>scroll to the bottom>settings>click your email>click "action to taken when done with message">pick "move to trash"

Now when you swipe to the right, it will delete.

That's where I looked earlier but it wasn't there yet. I was on the delayed rollout of the setting. This will make using the app much better.

Reactions: seecoolguy

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
That trip feature is intriguing. Not for actual trips -- I really like TripIt -- but in terms of sorting. I've always craved an email feature to let me merge emails into conversations. I often have multiple threads of the same conversation and because they don't have FWD: or RE: at the front of the subject line they're scattered all over the place. I don't understand why this isn't a feature (or if it is, how I've possibly missed it!!)

----------

Could someone explain this inbox-zero concept? I tried Inbox a couple months ago, but it was confusing, and I didn't like how swipe to delete wasn't an option (fixed now, I guess).

Inbox the app is an app by Google.

Inbox zero is an approach to email management. The goal is an inbox with zero emails in it. More info: http://bfy.tw/41X

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Tried it for a few weeks and deleted it. With four Google email addresses, it's not at all apparent which inbox has new mail. The other gotcha was that I could never get rid of a badge showing one unread/actionable item. That's despite scouring all of my inboxes, messages, and calendars on the web for an item that needed attention.

Staywhatyouare2

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
I have 3 emails that I manage through Gmail. 2 are personal and one is for work. Does anyone know if it is possible to view all of your inboxes at once with Inbox. I don't like switching between the 3 of them. I currently use Mailbox by Dropbox because it has this feature. Maybe there is a way to do it in Invox and I am missing it.

----------

Tried it for a few weeks and deleted it. With four Google email addresses, it's not at all apparent which inbox has new mail. The other gotcha was that I could never get rid of a badge showing one unread/actionable item. That's despite scouring all of my inboxes, messages, and calendars on the web for an item that needed attention.

Just read your comment. I guess the answer to my question is "no" then. Maybe there is something we are both missing...

Staywhatyouare2

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Has this turned into a Google site recently?

Maybe you can tell me how to get Apple's Mail app to actually push me emails on time. All of my settings are to "push" and there is still about a 10 minute delay from when I get notifications from Mail versus Mailbox. I would like to use something native but not when most of my emails are time sensitive.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe you can tell me how to get Apple's Mail app to actually push me emails on time. All of my settings are to "push" and there is still about a 10 minute delay from when I get notifications from Mail versus Mailbox. I would like to use something native but not when most of my emails are time sensitive.
Google doesn't support push for Gmail on iOS devices, at least not as of a couple of years ago or so.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Yeah, it's like that for me. I tried out Gmail's tabs and priority inbox and important mail, and Inbox, but ultimately just having a list of emails that I can flag/star as needed and use labels/folders as needed (including using rules/filters) is what still works better and faster for me.

Me too. I feel like all of these email apps are just solutions searching for a problem. Inboxes need to just be simple and searchable. I find Gmail's web interface way too hard to navigate these days so I don't even bother. I'm definitely not going to bother with this app.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Google doesn't support push for Gmail on iOS devices, at least not as of a couple of years ago or so.

Yup, you used to be able to set it up as an exchange account to get Gmail with push. A couple of years ago Google stopped allowing push to iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.