Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parcm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
I don't know about you guys but it would solve a huge OCD problem for me.

iPhone Mini = 4"
iPhone Air = 4.7"
iPhone Pro = 5.5"

What do you guys think? Would you like/dislike this? Do you think there's a chance :apple: would do it?

reverberlayed

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2014
I thought they were going to transition to similar names for the 6/6+ release.

I don't know that they would change it for the S cycle, but I believe it's still possible.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I really don't see a point. If anything they may feel that it will confuse people. One of the common criticisms against Samsung is the abundance of variations of their flagship Galaxy phones causing confusion.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The fact that they went with "Plus" for the iPhone 6 already, seems like it's not likely they would be using that kind of terminology.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I really don't see a point. If anything they may feel that it will confuse people. One of the common criticisms against Samsung is the abundance of variations of their flagship Galaxy phones causing confusion.

I agree, this is even true for the 6 and 6+. When they first were announced, people were so confused on not knowing which one they should get, and having regrets when they bought either one. This is something Steve Jobs never would have done. The Apple Watch is even worse.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I know how you feel. In theory it is a pretty cool idea. I would prefer this:

iPhone S: 4
iPhone M: 4.7 and later 5
iPhone L: 5.5 and later 6

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I like it, but it feels so Samsung, in other words, confusing and segregated. I think the two flagships side by side is enough at this point. Put too much in there and everything gets convoluted and weird. Features get tied to versions of phones, iOS updates get butchered because there are so many more devices to support, app quality decreases for the same reason, etc. it makes me think of the whole, Sansung Galaxy A series, Samsung Galaxy Alpha series, Samsung Galaxy series, Samsung Galaxy Edge series, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy Note Edge series... Way too much. Yes, I know we are only talking 3 phones for Apple if this came true, but it could potentially open the doors to the kind of situation Samsung has now, as well as decrease OS quality immediately.

Parcm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
I like it, but it feels so Samsung, in other words, confusing and segregated. I think the two flagships side by side is enough at this point. Put too much in there and everything gets convoluted and weird. Features get tied to versions of phones, iOS updates get butchered because there are so many more devices to support, app quality decreases for the same reason, etc. it makes me think of the whole, Sansung Galaxy A series, Samsung Galaxy Alpha series, Samsung Galaxy series, Samsung Galaxy Edge series, Samsung Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy Note Edge series... Way too much. Yes, I know we are only talking 3 phones for Apple if this came true, but it could potentially open the doors to the kind of situation Samsung has now, as well as decrease OS quality immediately.

I think what you said about the confusion is true, (some people are even confused the by 'plus' name) but I think that the way that it would bring iPhone in line with the rest of their lineups is worth it. (especially if that alleged iPad Pro launches)

As far as the OS, I don't think that would be TOO big of a problem. I mean, definitely apps are already very solidified around the 4" and 4.7" (I haven't had the 5.5" so I don't know) and Apple IS the biggest company on earth, so they should be able to smoothly roll out iOS for all 3 sizes (crossing fingers for iOS 9 stability.)

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
Don't like it. Less is more when it comes to stuff like this. I had used a 4 inch iPhone and thought it was the perfect size but i've gotten very adjusted. I bought an iPhone 6 and when a family member got the 6 plus I was amazed with the battery life. I think 4.7 inches is the perfect compromise but I don't regret my choice to sell my 6 for the plus for a second. The battery life is phenomenal. Getting a little off topic here but I don't even think Apple should make a 4 inch 6s series device. A lot of people love Apple because not only do they make great products but the simplicity involved in everything from UI, hardware, to selection of devices. Three models will "in my personal opinion" detract from that simplicity. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they made a 4" size but it's not what they should do. I've seen leaks of a 6C and I don't like that idea at all either. Apple uses premium materials and the build quality on their devices across their product ranges are second to none. They should not be using plastic on their phones. I say they take the iPhone 6 and 6+ and clear inventory and drop the price to 99 dollars and 199 respectively keeping premium materials when the new iPhones are released. I don't like any of the three names either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.