Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deleder

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Hi. Just received the 1.1 rMB. My intention was to replace this with an Macbook Air 2013 1.3 (base model). From Geekbench it seems that the rMB is around 10% slower.

I only use my mac for browsing the web, youtube, flash clips, + to watch a few movies. I must say I am pretty disappointed with the performance. I use the default resolution, and encryption is turned off. I do have installed Bettersnaptool if that matters (looked up CPU usage and it says 0.1% for bettersnaptool, so I don't think that that has anything to do with the performance)

When I scroll up and down on web pages it feels laggy. Even Twitter is laggy when scrolling up and down. Animations on the mac is also quite laggy. Why is this? I thought I wasn't going to expect much difference with regards to performance from my Macbook air 2013 model. This one has also a faster SSD, and 8 GB ram instead of 4GB.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Have you given it time to break in (run all the background processes)?

Boot into recovery mode (command R) and open disk utility. Repair permissions. Reboot.

This is a laptop designed for portability and not a lot of processing. However, scrolling web pages shouldn't be too laggy. It's not super fast on my 1.3 as compared to my iMac, but it doesn't lag that much.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Also run Disk Utility and repair permission. Yes, I know it sounds silly but there is a thread about this working for a number of people in fixing performance issues they were seeing.

thewusman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
This worked for me - was ready to give my machine back until trying this little trick this afternoon.

Definitely an OSX software issue.

https://david.gyttja.com/2013/01/21/fix-lagging-display-performance-on-retina-macbook-pro/

-Delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
-Delete ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*.plist
-Shutdown OSX
-Startup, immediately press and hold the P and R keys while holding down the option (⌥) and command (⌘) keys before the gray boot screen appears, which resets the PRAM
-You may have to reset your display preferences (resolution) once you login
Done!

This made my macbook feel just like my rMBP did on Mavericks, buttery smooth.

Will see how long it lasts and report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.