Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Fact: Even with windows cracked open, a car can heat up to over 110 degrees Fahrenheight, even when it's 60 degrees outside. Little kids develop hyperthermia (high body temperature) way more easily than adults, so your little kid could be DEAD by the time you get back to the car!

You want to leave a kid under 6 in the car, here's what you need to do: Leave someone at least 12 years of age or older to take care of them.

Lacking such a person, my advice would be to put a children's toy where you're sure to see it. It will serve as a reminder to take your child out.

Remember: A kid in a seat could die from heat, and an open window won't change that.

Source: US NHTSA - "Unattended Children and Cars"

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks. It's sad that this even has to be said in the first place, yet every year it seems like there are several reports of this happening.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Thanks for posting this, as we all should know, leaving kids in the car is very dangerous. I have little patience for people who are too impatient to remove their kids from the car and have no problem calling the police if the parents aren't present. I have in the past as in my opinion, ignoring the issue in my opinion is just as bad as doing it.

Don't forget about animals too!
Just as with Children, different states and cities have varying laws about leaving pets in vehicles on hot days. Hot cars are even worse for animals.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for posting this, as we all should know, leaving kids in the car is very dangerous. I have little patience for people who are too impatient to remove their kids from the car and have no problem calling the police if the parents aren't present. I have in the past as in my opinion, ignoring the issue in my opinion is just as bad as doing it.

Don't forget about animals too!
Just as with Children, different states and cities have varying laws about leaving pets in vehicles on hot days. Hot cars are even worse for animals.

Decades ago at a Naval Air Station in California, it was 70 deg F, and I left my dog in the car, with the windows opened to drop off some paperwork on base. Came back 10 min later and my dog was gone, confiscated by base police to the base kennel. I was unaware of this base rule (maybe it was a state law?) and had no trouble getting him back, but learned my lesson. :)

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009

A lot of people don't know that in some places, it's actually illegal to leave a little kid in the car without leaving someone in there who's old enough. They can get ticketed. I think in Florida, if a caregiver breaks such a law, Child Protective Services is contacted.

California law requires that anyone who is under 6, is left in a car, and is in a potentially dangerous situation, be left with someone who is at least 12 years of age or older.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.