Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ainippe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2014
I own a 2014 rMBP with 2.5hz, 16gb RAM and dedicated video card.

I have trawled through the forums but after 30 minutes just get brain faze!

Can I run two external normal 24" monitors from my laptop and if so what cabling/connectors do I need? I have 1 x HDMI and 2 x Thunderbolt ports

Any help would be great

Thanks

Nick

varsis

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2005
Yep I run two on the Thunderbolt/display port. I run one 27 and a 24" I have also ran 3. Mid 2012 retina.

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I have 15inch MBP early 2013 and connect two Apple monitors. Works quite well. I use Thunderbolt hub to which I connect LED Cinema Display and Cinema HD on second Thunderbolt (or HDMI) using convertor to DVI.
Except, when I connect the Cinema HD as second (after connecting the hub+LED Cinema Display) the MBP reboots. And then works just fine.

If I connect the Cinema HD first (tried only through Thunderbolt > DVI convertor) all is OK.

Reported this as bug to Apple, I wonder if they will fix it. It is annoying.

varsis

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2005
So one from the thunderbolt or both?

Both on Thunderbolt as I have a displayport monitor and dvi. Works well, you can get the adapters for pretty cheap but be aware they only support to a certain resolutions. I have one that required mini display to displayport instead of mini display to dvi.

Ainippe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2014
Both on Thunderbolt as I have a displayport monitor and dvi. Works well, you can get the adapters for pretty cheap but be aware they only support to a certain resolutions. I have one that required mini display to displayport instead of mini display to dvi.

I have one which is VGA and one that is DVI. I guess having two thunderbolt ports, so I dont lose both I should also use the HDMI port for one?

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I use a mid-2015 2.8GHz rMBP without the discrete GPU to drive two Dell P2415Q 4K monitors, one from each Thunderbolt port. It works flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.