Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hew2702

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
I have an early 2009 model Macbook running Yosemite. Recently the backlight will flash for a second or two after opening the computer and then go dark. The screen works perfectly fine - only the backlight is on the fritz. I've tried zapping the PRAM (let it chime at least 7 times) and that worked until I closed and reopened my computer again. After that it no longer fixed the issue. I also tried resetting the SMC but still no luck. A friend of mine suggested it might be a hardware issue with the reed switch but I'd like to rule out everything else before taking my computer apart. Thanks for the help!

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I had a similar issue with my mid-2007 MB a few years back, it turned out that the inverter cable for the backlight was at fault. The Apple store charged me around $35 for that repair IIRC so it's actually a fairly cheap fix.

hew2702

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
But would a hardware issue like an inverter cable be even temporarily fixed by zapping the PRAM?

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
A PRAM reset will not fix a bad inverter cable, you have to get it replaced. Having it work again after the PRAM reset was a coincidence, the inverter cable usually gets worn out by repeated opening and closing of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.