Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I'm thinking of getting one of the new macbooks- obviously a drawback is the lack of HDMI. I sometimes plug my current rMBP into my TV via HDMI to watch sports streams on my tv. Rather than shell out on the apple adapter, I thought a cheaper option (with added functions) would be to get a second hand apple tv.

What's the quality of the output like on the main TV when you're watching what is effectively a 'stream via a stream'?! Any lag or sound issues?

If the answer is no, I will likely get a macbook and apple tv :)

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
2014 MacBook Pro retina. Top of the line Ac router. Hard wired cat 5 directly to Apple TV. Total garbage for videos. Frame rate is about 5-10 per second. Unwatchable imo.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2006
2014 MacBook Pro retina. Top of the line Ac router. Hard wired cat 5 directly to Apple TV. Total garbage for videos. Frame rate is about 5-10 per second. Unwatchable imo.

Thanks for the reply. Given that my internet speed won't be great in my new place, it looks like I'll have to stick to hdmi and shell out for the adapter. Or just keep my rMBP!

wongster

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
I have no issues with my atv and my MacBook Pro retina. Atv is hard wired to AirPort Extreme and on wifi with MacBook. No issues streaming movies and tv shows online with mirroring.

I believe the output quality will depend on the stream quality of whatever your watching and your TV. Max resolution for the atv 3 is only 1080.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.