Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 31, 2003, 05:11 PM   #1
spacepower
macrumors member

HELP!!! Apple LCD Digital LCD Tech Questions?????

Ok
Need help on buying decision.

First off, LCDs according to Apple, have twice the brightness and contrast compared to CRTs. This is hard to verify since CRT manufacturers don't state brightness (cd/m^2) or contrast ratios. I have never had the opportunity to look at an Apple LCD next to a CRT.

I work in FCP, DVDSP, PS, Media100, AE, Combustion etc.. video stuff and audio stuff.
I am upgrading my home machine.

Questions:

1. All digital connections? Do Digital LCDs only refresh the pixels that change on the screen or do they refresh the whole screen like CRTs and analog LCDs? Are Apple's LCDs fast enough to play back full-motion full-size video?Will there be artifacts or ghosting? Anybody have experience with these? How is DVD playback?

2. Brightness. Is there a big difference in cd/m^2 between the 200cd/m^2 of the Apple 23inch VS the 230cd/m^2 of the Apple 20inch VS the 250cd/m^2 of the Formac Displays? I saw both the Apples this past week in the Apple Store, the 20inch seemed a slight bit brighter but that could have been an effect of the lighting in the Apple Store. Is 200cd/m^2 bright enough?

3. What about contrast ratio? Apple's LCDs have a 350:1 ratio which is supposedly "twice" as much as a CRT. Formac and Viewsonic claim their LCDs have a 600:1 contrast ratio. How noticable would this difference be to the human eye, and how could it affect photoshop and after effects work, and also color correcting in FCP3?

I am upgrading from a B&W G3 400Mhz with 19" Sony CRT that I bought years ago.

I am looking into getting the new Dual 1.25 with either a Apple 23"HD, Apple 20"Cinema, Formac or Viewsonic 20", or Lacie 22"CRT

Anybody have either of the Apple displays? Any thoughts?

I would really appreciate any input from all you friendly people. I guess, since I am considering dropping $2000 on a display, I could use a little reassurance before i part with my hard earned cash.

One more thing, I read this in a Mac forum somewhere. A guy who was purchasing a cinema display asked the people at the Apple Store if he could test it out there before he took it home. They let him connect it to one of the cpu's there, and also let him check for dead pixels. If he was unhappy with that one, they were willing to let him take another one home. Fortunately the one he had was perfect. Is this too much to ask when spending $1300 to $2000 on a monitor?? I think not.
What's your opinion?

I don't think the people at my local Apple Store would allow this. But it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks

Last edited by spacepower; Jan 31, 2003 at 05:20 PM.
spacepower is offline   0
Old Jan 31, 2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Skandranon
macrumors regular

Alright, the only displays I haven't worked with are the 20" & 23"Cinema Displays, but I can vouch for all the other ones. (15", 17", 22")

1. All digital connections? Do Digital LCDs only refresh the pixels that change on the screen or do they refresh the whole screen like CRTs and analog LCDs? Are Apple's LCDs fast enough to play back full-motion full-size video?Will there be artifacts or ghosting? Anybody have experience with these? How is DVD playback?

Digital LCDs do have ghosting and they do not refresh the entire screen as far as I know. Not the most ideal for motion graphics and video development. Artifacts are not as prominent, however.

2. Brightness. Is there a big difference in cd/m^2 between the 200cd/m^2 of the Apple 23inch VS the 230cd/m^2 of the Apple 20inch VS the 250cd/m^2 of the Formac Displays? I saw both the Apples this past week in the Apple Store, the 20inch seemed a slight bit brighter but that could have been an effect of the lighting in the Apple Store. Is 200cd/m^2 bright enough?

LCDs are definitely brighter than CRTs. I've yet to see any CRT that comes even close to the brightness on Apple's 17" and 22" displays. (I imagine the same is the case for the 23" and 20") ... and there's also no need for manipulating the way the signal appears on the screen (horizontal/vertical resizing, contrast levels, etc.)

3. What about contrast ratio? Apple's LCDs have a 350:1 ratio which is supposedly "twice" as much as a CRT. Formac and Viewsonic claim their LCDs have a 600:1 contrast ratio. How noticable would this difference be to the human eye, and how could it affect photoshop and after effects work, and also color correcting in FCP3?

I've yet to see a CRT with the same crisp contrast you see in an LCD. Despite the ghosting effects in the digital displays, you cannot beat the pixel-level detail of an LCD. They are much sharper than any CRT I've ever worked with.

Hope this is helpful. I'd recommend doing what I do... work with a dual CRT and LCD setup. That Sony can still come in handy.
Skandranon is offline   0
Old Feb 1, 2003, 11:29 PM   #3
zac4mac
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to zac4mac
"Hope this is helpful. I'd recommend doing what I do... work with a dual CRT and LCD setup. That Sony can still come in handy."

This is the second time I've seen this advice today. Just picked up a 22" after the price drops and I'm in awe! Planned on getting a 17-19" flat panel for a palettes', but maybe I'll keep my old Apple20" for that. Regardless, I need a new Vid card; this Drive-In Movie Thee-ater is taxing my original Radeon. 9000Pro looks like the best deal.

Definitely agree on the brightness - when I turned on my 22" for the first time, I could barely see the CRT next to it.
Oh ya - Don't consider an LCD that doesn't have ADC or DVI for a Main monitor; palettes maybe...

Z
zac4mac is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers