Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1
Wellander
macrumors regular

Can you develop os 9 apps on the intel macs?

Hi,
I am just wondering if you can develop os 9 apps on the new intel macs?
Thanks.
Wellander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Counterfit
macrumors 601

OS 9 is dead.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:54 PM   #3
Agent Smith
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
OS 9 is dead.
R.I.P.

How would you test what you have compiled? It would be a bit awkward/inconvenient to compile on a Macintel and transfer it to an OS 9 box...
Agent Smith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Wellander
macrumors regular

Hi,
I take it not?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:27 PM   #5
virus1
macrumors 65816

umm.. why?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Nermal

You can't run OS 9-only apps on Intel systems (and therefore it's very unlikely that you'd be able to develop them), but it *may* be possible to develop apps that can run in both 9 and X (I think these are called Carbon apps).
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 12:27 AM   #7
Wellander
macrumors regular

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 02:12 AM   #8
MacRumoron
macrumors 6502

i just realized my MBP doesn't have os 9 on it
Old Mar 26, 2006, 03:38 AM   #9
Nermal

You're living up to your sig
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:00 AM   #10
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

You could use PearPC (probably under Linux or Windows for now) if you really need to build software for older machines. It would be less hassle to instead pick up a nice (perhaps used) PowerPC Mac for that.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:01 AM   #11
Nermal

I believe PearPC can only run OS X. SheepShaver can run OS 9, but I don't know whether it works on an Intel system.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:06 AM   #12
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal
I believe PearPC can only run OS X.
Right, and people even have trouble with Classic. It still has what's needed to build the Carbon applications.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:09 AM   #13
Nermal

Yes, you could build the Carbon apps, but you wouldn't be able to test them in OS 9, and testing is quite important when developing apps
Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:12 AM   #14
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

That might still be acceptable. A machine that will run OS 9 but not X and Xcode can be found for dirt cheap.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:33 AM   #15
ahunter3
macrumors 6502

SheepShaver certainly exists for Intel PCs, the Mac build was a port of it. (The first platform SheepShaver ran on was Intel Unix, then ported to OS X, then Windows if I recall correctly)

I'd be astonished if an Intel-Mac version didn't make an appearance soon.
ahunter3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:43 PM   #16
Nermal

SheepShaver was originally for PowerPC BeOS.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 01:52 PM   #17
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellander
Hi,
I am just wondering if you can develop os 9 apps on the new intel macs?
Thanks.
Why would you want to do that? OS 9 development will offer you NOTHING in terms of OS-Specific application development.
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:14 PM   #18
ahunter3
macrumors 6502

SheepShaver for Intel-based Macs

Nermal:
Quote:
You can't run OS 9-only apps on Intel systems
You can now.
ahunter3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:20 PM   #19
tag
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter3
Oh that's neat, can even run OS 7-9 apps in linux & BSD w/o PPC too, but ouch, at 1/8th speed.
tag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:51 PM   #20
cubist
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cubist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
OS 9 is dead.
I think this is a terrible attitude. Apple's refusal to provide backward-compatibility has cost them a lot of goodwill. They forced a lot of people to buy the same programs again when they went to Mac OS X, and they apparently intend to force people to buy them all over again.

There's no technical reason Mac OS X, on Intel or PPC, can't run Classic apps. Why, Microsoft's XP will still run DOS programs. Apple's just being lazy.

In many cases you can't buy updated apps because the vendor won't port them to Mac OS X. For example: Apple's own HyperCard.

Saying "OS 9 is dead" is a really stupid, insulting, condescending attitude. It may be true, but that doesn't make it good.
cubist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 05:21 PM   #21
geese
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubist

There's no technical reason Mac OS X, on Intel or PPC, can't run Classic apps. Why, Microsoft's XP will still run DOS programs. Apple's just being lazy.
Well, no but it would require Apple to enable classic to run atop of Rosetta as well. Do-able, but would take alot of development time, time that could be used to make the intel transition smoother.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:07 PM   #22
cubist
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to cubist
Quote:
Originally Posted by geese
Well, no but it would require Apple to enable classic to run atop of Rosetta as well. Do-able, but would take alot of development time, time that could be used to make the intel transition smoother.
Yes, it will make the Intel transition much smoother for anyone with Classic apps to run - by making it never happen at all. Thanks, Apple. Now I know which companies care about their long-term customers -- and one that doesn't.
cubist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:09 PM   #23
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Get over it...

Quote:
I think this is a terrible attitude. Apple's refusal to provide backward-compatibility has cost them a lot of goodwill. They forced a lot of people to buy the same programs again when they went to Mac OS X, and they apparently intend to force people to buy them all over again.

In many cases you can't buy updated apps because the vendor won't port them to Mac OS X. For example: Apple's own HyperCard.

Saying "OS 9 is dead" is a really stupid, insulting, condescending attitude. It may be true, but that doesn't make it good.
Learn to accept it. You don't HAVE to upgrade your hardware or software and if killing OS 9 means nearly all of the rest of us will have a better user experience, I am ALL for it. Those that upgrade on a somewhat regular cycle should be rewarded for doing so by not having to deal with older software and all its glitches.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:11 AM   #24
caveman_uk

Quote:

OK, don't buy an Intel mac. Buy a kick-ass G5 now and you'll be able to run OS9 apps at least until the end of the decade. The OS9 apps will then be at least ten years old. I think getting 10 years of use out of your applications is a pretty good deal

Oh, condescending it may be but OS 9 is dead. Which is a good thing IMO. Ensuring that classic apps run means spending a lot of time and money on something that only affects a small proportion of users.
caveman_uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:43 AM   #25
trogdor!
macrumors regular

I would say developing for os 9 is dead, but not the user base yet, but hopefuly soon that will change. For some, thier os 9 box will serve them well for many years to come. Thats great, but you prob wont see any revolutionary software being developed for os 9 anymore. It hard enough sometime to get developers to even develop on the mac platform, let alone for an old OS.
trogdor! is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming