Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdeschenes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
A few years ago, I had to give up my PPC 8500 with Sonnet G3 for a PC because my new "job" used PC software. At that time, I did not know about programs like Virtual PC. Suffice to say, I have learned much about software options of late - as I have learned how much I miss using a Mac after many trials and tribulations with Windows. Thanks to this discussion board, (and the new PowerPC options/pricing), I have decided to invest in a Mac - specifically the Dual 1.25. I plan to add Microsoft word, Micromat Drive 10, virtual pc (dos as I have a licensed copy of the nasty XP), .Mac. I have a few questions that perhaps some of you learned folks could assist me with.
I have a Backpack usb external drive that I used with my PC. The drivers are obviously meant for Windows but I was always amazed at how easily Macs recognized peripherals. Will this be the case with this external? I previously used FWB 3.0 a lot when working with refurbishing older Macs for schools. I have a copy of FWB 3.5 that came with my LaCie external burner. Will it work with OS 10.2 (FWB 3.5 that is)?
I have read about the possibility of a G5 processor being developed. If so, does anyone think that they will be "configured" to replace the G4's for upgrading? I would like to believe that my purchase will be "upgradeable" for years to come.
I hope to make this purchase within the next 4 to 6 weeks. I only wish I could scrape up the extra $ for a dual 1.42. Oh well... C'est la vie!
Thanks for reading this long post and any information provided.
Mike

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Switching back. Have a few questions

Originally posted by mdeschenes

I have read about the possibility of a G5 processor being developed. If so, does anyone think that they will be "configured" to replace the G4's for upgrading? I would like to believe that my purchase will be "upgradeable" for years to come.

While it's not really a "G5" that's coming... yes there is a PowerPC 970 which is assumed to be the next generation chip for Apple.

When the 970 comes... it's is exceedingly unlikely that any of the current machines will be upgradable.

The new chip has a very different architecture/motherboard requirement and there won't be any easy upgrades.

So... don't count on it.

arn

mdeschenes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Thank you, Arn. I thought perhaps that the "possible" G5 was a separate entity from the 970 chip. I spoke with the folks at a local "apple" authorized dealer who suggested that I would be able to upgrade in the future - I believe she meant that the G4 would be upgraded on a continuous basis. I am beginning to wonder if I should not just wait for the next generation CPU. I understand that I could probably wait for a long time for the new processors to be available for purchase, even after they have been announced. I shall continue to read the various posts as they are usually quite informative. Being in Canada and the worth of the loonie, I want to make absolutely sure I get the best possible value for my $ in regards to choosing my mac.
BTW, I recently bought an extra 512 mb PC2700 DDR ram stick for my current machine. Is it possible to use it in the Dual 1.25? I remember the problems I had with PC ram and my old 8500.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you plan on buying in the next 4-6 weeks, make sure you try to get a copy of Microsoft Office for $199 -- it's one of the specials Apple and Microsoft are running when you buy both at the same time.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...02505&lprd=http://www.apple.com/promo/office/

or save $30 on .Mac

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...506&lprd=http://www.apple.com/promo/everymac/

Sort of sucks if you miss the boat on the Office sale, buying Word alone will only save you very little over Office. :(

[edit - you're from Canada -- Nevermind]

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by mdeschenes
Thank you, Arn. I thought perhaps that the "possible" G5 was a separate entity from the 970 chip. I spoke with the folks at a local "apple" authorized dealer who suggested that I would be able to upgrade in the future - I believe she meant that the G4 would be upgraded on a continuous basis. I am beginning to wonder if I should not just wait for the next generation CPU. I understand that I could probably wait for a long time for the new processors to be available for purchase, even after they have been announced. I shall continue to read the various posts as they are usually quite informative. Being in Canada and the worth of the loonie, I want to make absolutely sure I get the best possible value for my $ in regards to choosing my mac.
BTW, I recently bought an extra 512 mb PC2700 DDR ram stick for my current machine. Is it possible to use it in the Dual 1.25? I remember the problems I had with PC ram and my old 8500.

Basically, it seems that what might have turned into the G5 (the motorola 85xx series) is focusing on embedded only (no Altivec, lots of integrated comm stuff). That leaves G4 upgrades (the XPC7457-RM) and the PowerPC 970. In theory, either one could be a G5, but the 970 comes out first. Neither the 7457-RM nor the 970 will be compatible with a current motherboard (one has two 900MHz 32 bit point to point connections, the other has an on-chip DDR controller and RapidIO. Today's Macs have a single 167MHz 64 bit bidirectional bus). The 7457-RM, last info we've had, was still in the planning stage. The 970 has a set release window, performance guesses, and is definitely not vaporware (although it may not be in Macs).

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I believe the G4 will be upgradable up to the current speeds-1.42 Ghz through companies like Sonnet. I have no basis for anything I'm saying other than a pattern i believe will be followed. I truly believe there will be no future G4 upgrades or "speedbumps". I think these are the last of the G4 machines. However, I have no inside info, and Arn would be better at this than me.

Regards,
Gus

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
As for the USB drive, it should work fine. I don't think any drivers will be needed. The FWB software is for Mac OS 9 and older -- you have missed a lot!

Back before Mac OS X I used to gripe about the disk drivers nonsense, and also the type and creator codes nonsense: both things that seemed ridiculous (every SCSI hard drive uses pretty much the same command set - why should I need third-party drivers?). And then there were the incompatible iterations of TCP/IP.

But Mac OS X has changed everything. All the greatness is still there, but the klutzy stuff's been eliminated. You will love it. Welcome back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.