Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Mar 26, 2006, 02:27 AM   #1
technofrog
macrumors newbie

anybody know anything about ffmpeg?

Hi.......I've been experimenting with ffmpeg, and according to several websites I've found on encoding video to a format my ipod can read, using the following command line:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i '/Documents/TVShows/Originals/The.Office.US.S03.E18.avi' -vcodec xvid -b 300 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 96 -s 320x176 -title '18' -author 'The Office' '/Users/davidcranor/Sites/ipodfiles/the_office/the_office_0_18.mp4'

it gives me a file clearly within the limitations of what the ipod can handle, but itunes won't copy it to the ipod, because it "cannot be played on this ipod."

on a somewhat related note, some video podcasts are giving me the same error several times per week. (the Make one and Rocketboom)

is this an itunes problem or my ipod's?

Help!
technofrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 01:06 AM   #2
NicP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by technofrog
Hi.......I've been experimenting with ffmpeg, and according to several websites I've found on encoding video to a format my ipod can read, using the following command line:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i '/Documents/TVShows/Originals/The.Office.US.S03.E18.avi' -vcodec xvid -b 300 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ab 96 -s 320x176 -title '18' -author 'The Office' '/Users/davidcranor/Sites/ipodfiles/the_office/the_office_0_18.mp4'

it gives me a file clearly within the limitations of what the ipod can handle, but itunes won't copy it to the ipod, because it "cannot be played on this ipod."

on a somewhat related note, some video podcasts are giving me the same error several times per week. (the Make one and Rocketboom)

is this an itunes problem or my ipod's?

Help!
correct me if i'm wrong but it appears you are encoding the video with the xvid codec, the ipod cant play xvid, only standard mpeg4 files
NicP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod