Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
SC
i have an extra hd laying around. i have a gigabit ethernet dual 450 powermac g4. i dont use zip disk. i know i could figure this out by installing it but i have my g4 the way i want it with all the cables nice and neat in my desk.

before i undo everything and open the g4 up, does anyone know if takind out the zip drive and putting in a hd will work?
thanks

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I wondered this same thing when i had my dual G4 450. and the answer is no. it will not work, because the carriage for the zip drive is fit for the zip drive, and not a 3.5" HD.

the only desktops that would allow this were the Beige G3 mini towers, and the MDD G4 towers.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
OK, my bad. The whole time i was writing that i was thinking about an optical drive and not a HD. Sorry.

Well, maybe it will work.

StealthRider said:
Zip drives are 3.5-inch drives, just like floppy drives and most desktop hard drives. I can 99% guarantee that there will be no problems.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I've been thinking of actually replacing the ZIP drive in mine with a USB hub of some sort.

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
It will work technically. First though, at least with the B&W 400 and quicksilver 933 towers is that the hard drive will fit very very tighly in the bay and the slot in the back in lines up for a zip drive, not a hard drive. So it will work in the slot, it just may require some work to get it in there. The other downside is a hard drive will create alot of heat. It will get hot being crammed into the zip bay and then resting right against the optical drive. Those are the two downsides i have noticed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.