Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to upgrade an iBook G3 CPU to a G4 (7410) by unsoldering the current 750FX and soldering the 7410 in its place. I know they are pin-for-pin compatible but the problem would be with OpenFirmware. Would there be a problem detecting this CPU and getting the computer to boot with it? This would be somewhat similar to a daughtercard based CPU upgrade but the modification would be to the Logic Board directly instead. There are both G3 750FX and G4 7410 CPU upgrades available for the Pismo, for example. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Lol, that's a crazy plan!! I guess in theory it should work but they would have to be exactly pin for pin compatible, not just in the number of pins but in what each pin actually does. If this does work then it'd be great news, if you give it a try please report back!!

P.S. I hope you have good soldering skills!!

Tilmitt

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Daystar do this for their PowerBook G4 upgrades and I know they solder on extra stuff on the motherboard to change voltages and stuff. I have no idea if an iBook G3 needs extra modifications to run a G4...but I wish you my sincerest good luck!

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
I highly doubt that the G3 and G4 are pin compatible...different generation processors rarely are...Plus, for the skill and parts required (assuming you don't do it yourself) would not be cost effective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.