Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Ive been hearing this rumour time and time again. My apple store in Sydney reaffirms this rumour. It appears that as of March 31st Apple will discontinue both EDUCATIONAL and STAFF discounts.

Is this rumour valid? and to what extent? Is it only the case with the resellers themselves or does it extend to the online apple website?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
"And for Apple's 30th Anniversary, may I announce that starting today, there will be no more educational discounts available to anyone. Thank you for your support over the past 30 wonderful years."

(whispers to limo driver)

"Drive damnit......drive."

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Replace educational discount with what? Doesnt seem logical, especially since targetting the educational market seems the best approach.

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Abstract said:
"And for Apple's 30th Anniversary, may I announce that starting today, there will be no more educational discounts available to anyone. Thank you for your support over the past 30 wonderful years."

(whispers to limo driver)

"Drive damnit......drive."

Lol - that made me laugh.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
mad jew said:
I doubt they'd drop it. They may overhaul it though. Perhaps they're changing some of the limitations or requirements.
seem the best bet - everyone i know tries the Edu Discount

maybe apple has seen this as a loop hole on prices -

on a side note - why does apple always send me a disount voucher for like £50-76 just after i bought a new Mac :mad:

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
OFFICIAL NEWS:

EDUCATION Discounts and STAFF discounts WILL be discontinued, however only in Australia.

March 31st is the last day in which you will be able to aquire these benefits.
Why?
Boost Sale figures for Apple Australia, increase their profit margins short term. i.e. The boss wants a pay rise.

This is very reliable information. I spoke to my friends at the applecentre in sydeny. Gave them a call. =)

Now i have to decide whether to buy my ibook now or later...

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Bushplum said:
OFFICIAL NEWS:

EDUCATION Discounts and STAFF discounts WILL be discontinued, however only in Australia.

March 31st is the last day in which you will be able to aquire these benefits.
Why?
Boost Sale figures for Apple Australia, increase their profit margins short term. i.e. The boss wants a pay rise.

This is very reliable information. I spoke to my friends at the applecentre in sydeny. Gave them a call. =)

Now i have to decide whether to buy my ibook now or later...

and your source is ? linky linky

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
Its good thing i recorded the conversation on tape. =)
Not only did i record the convo, i posted a link on the net.

Ill give you a clue tho, if u live in sydney, its the applecentre closer to Hyde pArk =)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Bushplum said:
Its good thing i recorded the conversation on tape. =)
Not only did i record the convo, i posted a link on the net.

Ill give you a clue tho, if u live in sydney, its the applecentre closer to Hyde pArk =)
well if you posted the link on the net , then where's the Linky Dink Link

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
There has been no confirmation on the net it seems.

There has been no absolute confirmation in my opinion from official sites either.

This rumour has been around for about 6 months. I do however think there is alot of validity to it.

Only time will tell, in the meantime however, all those poor students who will be caught out waiting for their new macbook pros.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Bushplum said:
There has been no confirmation on the net it seems.

There has been no absolute confirmation in my opinion from official sites either.

This rumour has been around for about 6 months. I do however think there is alot of validity to it.

Only time will tell, in the meantime however, all those poor students who will be caught out waiting for their new macbook pros.
"Its good thing i recorded the conversation on tape. =)
Not only did i record the convo, i posted a link on the net.":confused:

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
I was using my dry australian humour to suggest that there is no "linky dinky."

lol. =)

Maybe i should be more obvious and have many emoticons =)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Apple are strongly supporting the Edu discount here in the UK, with Campus Reps being appointed at several Uni's.

I doubt they'd discontinue it, it's a huge source of switcher revenue.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
WinterMute said:
Apple are strongly supporting the Edu discount here in the UK, with Campus Reps being appointed at several Uni's.

I doubt they'd discontinue it, it's a huge source of switcher revenue.

At my uni, it is advertised alot. Especially the buy a Mac and get a discount on an iPod promotion. This would be such a bad move because the discount is attracting many switches, it is common to see about 1 in 4~ laptops being a Mac at my campus.

The future users of computers are us students and therefore I firmly believe that Apple is targeting us, so they can dominate at least in the future, and by what I can see it is working.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Apple held two product demonstrations at my Uni in Oweek and Week 1. There are posters for their Education $200 off a Mac and iPod bundle all over the place. I wish our UniShop still sold proper tech stuff cause they'd be there too. The old UniShop did sell Macs - I first saw the TiBook and the cube there and was smitten ever since.

They better not discontinue it or I'll bloody scream.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
They dropped Edu discounts here last September/October, of course they dropped sales too.:( :mad:

Bushplum

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2005
I dropped into the USYD SYDNEY campus today. The apple store located on the grounds in particular.

According to them Educational discounts will be discontinued at all the Australian resellers, except for the campus located apple stores.

According to another independant Apple store located in the city, ALL FORMS of educational discount will be discontinued as of April 1st. Even the apple stores located on campus will not have the priviledge.

STAFF discounts will also be DISCONTINUED.

In terms of the validity of the information, i believe that the information attained in the apple store located in the city to be more reliable.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
This better not happen, I'm to poor to purchase at full price :eek:

It sounds like you mention that it's only resellers? Does that mean the online store will still offer the edu discount :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Bushplum said:
I was using my dry australian humour to suggest that there is no "linky dinky."
Yeah, it's so dry that most Australians wouldn't get you. Hmmm......

Bushplum said:
I dropped into the USYD SYDNEY campus today. The apple store located on the grounds in particular.

According to them Educational discounts will be discontinued at all the Australian resellers, except for the campus located apple stores.

According to another independant Apple store located in the city, ALL FORMS of educational discount will be discontinued as of April 1st. Even the apple stores located on campus will not have the priviledge.

STAFF discounts will also be DISCONTINUED.

In terms of the validity of the information, i believe that the information attained in the apple store located in the city to be more reliable.

I don't believe it. They wouldn't have made such a massive push in promoting sales in the student market within the past month if they were just going to tear the student deals down. They were everywhere last month at the start of 1st session. And the news you're telling us would be all over the net by now if that info were true, even if the news was only valid for Australia. We like to gossip.

Also, they wouldn't have told you like that, as general staff don't necessarily know these things until they happen in order to prevent leaks. Look at the MacBook Pro. Not even the staff at MWSF knew about the MBPs, and they were the ones working the shift immediately after Steve's keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.