Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Apple will release Intel-based eMac?

• Yes

Votes: 25 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 26 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 105 67.3%

• Total voters

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Do you think Apple will release this rumored 19inch widscreen CRT eMac with intel processor?

I think it might be pretty cool, but it's not likely

What about you?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The current Mac mini fits into education much better. A school can get a great discount on monitors and put more money into RAM.

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
But eMac would save a lot of desktop space, because it also has built-in speaker, not to mention the display :eek:

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I think they will, although they might switch to using a 15inch LCD display. Since the prices have come down quite a bit recently and will probably save a lot of money on shipping costs due to the reduced weight.

I also would be supprised to see it with an AMD cpu because they are a lot cheaper. There have been some photos floating around the net of prototype Macs with AMD cpus.

Turion_X2_Apple.jpg

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Hoping for an all new design, based on a 15'' LCD, as the eMac needs it. And the eMac would be a much better deal then a Mac Mini, if they made one 899 model with the base Mac Mini's specs.

I doubt an 19'' CRT adn 19'' would start to make it look better then the iMac 17''

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
hvfsl said:
I think they will, although they might switch to using a 15inch LCD display. Since the prices have come down quite a bit recently and will probably save a lot of money on shipping costs due to the reduced weight.

I also would be supprised to see it with an AMD cpu because they are a lot cheaper. There have been some photos floating around the net of prototype Macs with AMD cpus.

Turion_X2_Apple.jpg
15" is illegal in the UK because of H&S laws to be used at work or education. 15" is out of the question.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Is there even such a thing as a 19" widescreen CRT?

I doubt Apple would change the eMac that much if they even continue to sell it.

That said the all-in-one design is much better for education than a mini would be so they might keep it around.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think this will happen because the eMac is too much competition for the Mini. Now they have a prosumer, mid-stream, and lower-stream desktop setup and I think it suits them well.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
nah, not happening. As it appears, Apple is trying to slowly phase out the eMac, replacing them in many Apple Stores in the education/kiddie center with iMacs. They're ugly, big, and create unnecessary competition for the Mac Mini, a far more attractive product. With that in mind, i think Apple may decide to make a cheaper, and smaller, screen that they can sell separately that is Apple-branded relative to the Mac Mini price points.

Intel would be nice, but i see this product just dying through the transition. :eek:

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
CoMpX said:
A screen size is illegal?
Its illegal to make a school kid or office worker use a 15" display due to problems of eye strain, etc. 15" displays I guess are considered to small to be really useable.

15" Displays themselves are not illegal or course!

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
i doubt it... they alread dis-continued the G4 emac a while ago so i don't see them bringing it back. maybe a whole new all-in-one design budget computer though.:confused: :confused:

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
howesey said:
15" is illegal in the UK because of H&S laws to be used at work or education. 15" is out of the question.
I've never heard that.

The schools I work for continue to be supplied with 15" screens, the rest are 14" and 17", but almost all our laptops and LCDs are 15". No one has told us that it's illegal (and the council supply us with the screens aswell).

Is there some detail in it?...doesn't include LCDs or something? (still think may have 15" CRTs somewhere though...maybe...)

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Gil_Grissom said:
I've never heard that.

The schools I work for continue to be supplied with 15" screens, the rest are 14" and 17", but almost all our laptops and LCDs are 15". No one has told us that it's illegal (and the council supply us with the screens aswell).
Laptop rules would be different I'd assume?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
dr_lha said:
Its illegal to make a school kid or office worker use a 15" display due to problems of eye strain, etc. 15" displays I guess are considered to small to be really useable.

15" Displays themselves are not illegal or course!
but if they can use it on a ,laptop why would using it as a desktop be anydifferent? That would be a dumb law, as my 12'' iBook is fine for everyday work

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
sam10685 said:
i doubt it... they alread dis-continued the G4 emac a while ago so i don't see them bringing it back. maybe a whole new all-in-one design budget computer though.:confused: :confused:

They discontinued the sale of the eMac to the general consumer. The eMac is still available to Schools/Universities. I think if anything, the new eMac will look a bit less like an iMac (G3) and more like an iMac (G5/Intel), however still sporting a CRT as they are much cheaper. I expect a 1.67 DC in an eMac just in time for the traditional School Shopping Season in July-August.

TEG

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
bousozoku said:
The current Mac mini fits into education much better. A school can get a great discount on monitors and put more money into RAM.

ya but the mac mini would probably be really easy to steal.. :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
zap2 said:
but if they can use it on a ,laptop why would using it as a desktop be anydifferent? That would be a dumb law, as my 12'' iBook is fine for everyday work

Yeah... I have to call this one. A law where? In what jurisdiction? Can anyone provide a link? I find this highly doubtful. I tried googling this and didn't find anything in support of the previous claim....

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I think schools are better off using PPC for a while until intel is running smoothly. Schools don't really need intel. At this point it probably just has some annoying quirks that might be great for an individual but would be a hassle for a school.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
mkrishnan said:
Yeah... I have to call this one. A law where? In what jurisdiction? Can anyone provide a link? I find this highly doubtful. I tried googling this and didn't find anything in support of the previous claim....
We're talking about in the UK.

Enviromental Health and Safety at work are taken very seriously there, unlike in the USA. Monitors cannot be too small, I also imagine that it would not be legal for someone to have a laptop as their main work computer all day.

Information on this is not usually on the web as Environmental H&S rules are usually published in books. However the UK H&E agency has a website here:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/

That might have the information on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.