Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:39 PM   #1
mark!
macrumors 65816

sims 2 universal patch?

"The last month has seen lots of progress in our Macintosh development efforts on Intel Macs. Final testing is winding up on Universal patches for The Sims™ 2 and Civilization® 3 Complete, and our first in-the-box Universal game, Quake 4™. Having completed a thorough test of all our older games on Intel Macs, we'll now move to some of the other titles. Some of the games most likely to have Universal updates are Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, SimCity™ 4, Call of Duty™, and Command & Conquer™ Generals. Exact details will be announced soon.

One of the other interesting projects we've recently undertaken has been moving the SMP (multi-processor) support for Quake 4™ from the beta patch released for Windows to the OS X version. Our initial work has shown amazing results, and we hope to have the dual processor aware version of Quake 4™ Mac ready to release in late March. Historically it has been difficult for many games to get a speed boost from dual processors, but having access to a very well engineered codebase that is SMP aware on the PC has really helped in this case. Keep an eye on your favorite Mac games sites for the Quake 4™ SMP patch!

Patches
Universal patches for Shrek 2™ and Spiderman 2™ were released in early March. These allow the games to have much better performance on Intel Macs. The Sims™ 2 Universal patch and Civ® 3 Complete Universal patches should also be available about the time you read this. These patches and other updates can be found at http://www.aspyr.com/support"

This is taken from the aspyr site. Does this mean I can just buy SIMS 2 for PowerPC & then download the patch when it comes out?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

That's how I'd read it. Look at it from Aspyr's point of view – while future games are likely to be universal, it makes more sense to release downloadable patches for games they currently have out rather than going to the expense of producing new disks.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 03:53 PM   #3
mark!
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake
That's how I'd read it. Look at it from Aspyr's point of view – while future games are likely to be universal, it makes more sense to release downloadable patches for games they currently have out rather than going to the expense of producing new disks.
Okay, thanks, just checking. I didn't want to go get a game & then just all of a sudden have aspyr say that it isn't a patch, but a boxed universal game.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 03:29 AM   #4
rumbletum
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to rumbletum Send a message via AIM to rumbletum Send a message via MSN to rumbletum Send a message via Skype™ to rumbletum
Universal Binary update now released
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:06 AM   #5
srobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletum
Good catch! A high profile patch for a high profile game.

I've updated the info on the Universal Binary Games Guide.

Now if only they could release the Civ 3 Complete patch. It should have been released by now. Must be imminent.

Edit: Update about the Civ 3 Complete's patch. (straight from the horse’s mouth):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Oliver, as of Apr 12, 2006, 06:42 PM
In testing.

Last edited by srobert; Apr 13, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
srobert is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Cybix
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Cybix Send a message via Skype™ to Cybix
great! my wife wants to grab this, and we've been holding off for UB patch. I guess we can go buy it on the w'end now
Cybix is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:26 PM   #7
Caitlyn

Great to know I don't have to buy new disks. Thanks for the info.
Caitlyn is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2006, 02:20 PM   #8
NatronB
macrumors regular

Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Great to know I don't have to buy new disks. Thanks for the info.
That's good news. Anybody wanna speculate how it'll play on a Mac Mini Solo w/ 1 GB RAM?

Thanks,

-N
NatronB is offline   0
Old Apr 15, 2006, 07:28 PM   #9
Dandoon88
macrumors newbie

It's Not Working

I have downloaded the Sims 2 UB patch RevD, but for some reason whenever I try to open it, I get a message saying that it failed to mount because it is not recognized??

It may have something to do with the fact that I am in a location at the moment without access to the internet off of my MBP. I downloaded the patch onto my PC, cut it and pasted it onto my jump drive and then from my jumpdrive copy pasted it into my MBP. It is a .dmg file, but my MBP will not recognize it.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try? Is it the fact that I transferred the downloaded file from a PC first or am I missing a neccesary application for opening this patch? I have stuffit.

Thank you!
Dandoon88 is offline   0
Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:32 AM   #10
MacBookJoePro
macrumors regular

damn, after waiting for so long, they finally released the universal patch. I don't think there is a point now since you can dual book windows now. Plus, the sims 2 is much cheaper on windows, including the expansion packs which are 2 expansion packs ahead of macs. So... if you got a intel mac, just make the windows partition bigger and buy the sims 2 for windows.

-JoE
MacBookJoePro is offline   0
Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:36 AM   #11
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandoon88
I have downloaded the Sims 2 UB patch RevD, but for some reason whenever I try to open it, I get a message saying that it failed to mount because it is not recognized??

It may have something to do with the fact that I am in a location at the moment without access to the internet off of my MBP. I downloaded the patch onto my PC, cut it and pasted it onto my jump drive and then from my jumpdrive copy pasted it into my MBP. It is a .dmg file, but my MBP will not recognize it.

Anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try? Is it the fact that I transferred the downloaded file from a PC first or am I missing a neccesary application for opening this patch? I have stuffit.

Thank you!
You don't need stuffit, just OSX. I downloaded the patch and mounted the image no problem. I did download straight onto my MBP, but I have had no problems in the past with files that I have downloaded on a PC and transferred over.

Go for the obvious and try downloading again. Might be corrupt.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:28 PM   #12
Wes Jordan
macrumors regular

Geesh how did I miss this I've been looking and waiting for this for a while. Too bad they lost my business with the release of Boot Camp, they lost me in the months it took to release this patch.

I mean come on, they haven't even posted updated system requirements.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:11 AM   #13
Dandoon88
macrumors newbie

Don't install it!

Well I got it working but it messed up my sims! It made the entire game run much faster, but it disabled the DNA process in the create a sim section. When clicking to make children between a couple...it generated the SAME face over and over regardless of how different the parents are. It also caused the glasses/sunglasses to have jagged squiggly edges. I ended up having to erase it all from my harddrive and re-install it...UB patch-free and its back to normal but ohh how I miss the fastness of it with the patch. I'm going to send them an e-mail, I don't know if others experienced the same issues or not, but REV D is still not good.
Dandoon88 is offline   0
Old Apr 18, 2006, 11:58 AM   #14
mingisback
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to mingisback
I have a 20' iMac 2.0 Ghz Core Duo and with the patch installed if just flys.

The only issue i'm having is that the patch does not work with either of the expansion packs.

I didn't see it documented so i called Aspyr Tech Support and they confirmed it.

Kinda a bummer... but they said they are working on a Patch for the expansion packs.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:58 PM   #15
SamJ
macrumors member

i dnwloaded the patch for my imac and it worked well until yesterday where the mouse stopped responding when tryin to click an object etc. since then i hve reinstalled the game and patch and it works a treat
SamJ is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games