Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I decided about a month ago I wanted to look around for an iMac G3 for several reasons. I needed a computer while I send my PowerBook in to get a new battery... I'm about to move and want to use it as a living room computer/for guests... They are just so freaking awesome... To use for Folding@home... to play around with a new toy... etc... You get the idea.

So I watched on eBay for one in good condition. I decided I wanted either Ruby, Indigo, or Sage. So I got this one about 2 weeks ago for about $170 shipped and I had some PC 100 memory laying around and a 40GB hard drive from back in the day when I used to build PCs.

To make a long story short, I've got it up and running with Tiger and 768MB of RAM. Its a Sage 450MHz (as you can see in my sig). I ran it for a little while with the 128MB of memory that came with it and needless to say, it was pretty slow doing anything. But now that I've put the extra memory in... I've really been impressed with how well this little thing keeps up for being a 6-year old computer. Surfing the net is fast enough that I don't even feel like I'm using an old computer.

Anyways, just wanted to share my iMac happiness with you guys since none of my friends are geeks like me and get excited over computers. :D

Here's a few pics...

This one is my full setup with my PB (on an iCurve) and you can see the iMac and my RX500 in the background. I use the iMac as a print server so I can printer wirelessly from the PB. (I didn't think of that use until after I got the iMac, but its been pretty convenient.)
DSC02103.jpg

And here's two closer shots of the iMac.

DSC02104.jpg

DSC02105.jpg

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
Very nice. I like the idea of having a computer for guests, too. Have fun with it.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Those old G3's were just so cute and stylish. RAM is the biggest factor when running on older machines. I noticed a big difference between 512 MB and 1 GB on my old Power Mac G3.

I like how the iMac isn't a very intrusive computer.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
Nice setup. Having a guest computer is great..

But I gotta ask... Is that a M$ mouse on your PB??
I'm not a fan of Apple's mouse (any of them), but a M$ mouse??

Sorry to be a jerk, I just had to ask..

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
strydr said:
But I gotta ask... Is that a M$ mouse on your PB??
I'm not a fan of Apple's mouse (any of them), but a M$ mouse??
Yeah it is... I know its a disappointment to some people. I used to work in a computer store and sell them, so I've tested out almost every brand. I still think MS makes the best ones...

I might give that one up for a bluetooth mouse some day, I just haven't used a wireless mouse that I feel like the tracking is as precise as the good ole wired versions.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Heb1228 said:
Yeah it is... I know its a disappointment to some people. I used to work in a computer store and sell them, so I've tested out almost every brand. I still think MS makes the best ones...

I might give that one up for a bluetooth mouse some day, I just haven't used a wireless mouse that I feel like the tracking is as precise as the good ole wired versions.
I prefer Logitech mice. I hate not having that clicking while scrolling.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
Heb1228 said:
I still think MS makes the best ones...

Well, at least M$ does something right.

I don't blame you, I have several M$ mouses (mices) from a former job building equipment. I just keep them for backups, and to give to friends. I hear ya on the tracking thing. Sometimes, the best mouse is wired, with a trackball. I bought my mom the Logitech MX1000 for Xmas, seems pretty good and accurate, but she dosen't do anything that requires very finite movements (she plays MaJong and surfs the internet)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Very nice...

I've been wanting a Sage for some time. I still think it's the best color of iMac they produced. (I've got an original Bondi, plus a 600 MHz Graphite, one as a bedroom computer, the other in the kitchen.) I just wish they made a Sage at 700 MHz with a Combo drive. (I guess if I get a Sage, I'll have to swap motherboards with my Graphite, then upgrade the drive.)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
ehurtley said:
I just wish they made a Sage at 700 MHz with a Combo drive. (I guess if I get a Sage, I'll have to swap motherboards with my Graphite, then upgrade the drive.)
Yeah one of the things making it hard to decide was that Indigo was the only color I would have considered in the higher processor speeds. I didn't want Snow or Graphite or Flower Power, etc... But I didn't want to spend as much as the those would have cost anyway so it worked out.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have a Lime 266MHz G3 iMac...OS X is a bit slow with 288MB RAM but it still works well for basic websurfing/email. OS 9 runs faster on it though.

The G3 Macs have had a very long useful life and really will only become truly obsolete with the demise of PPC support.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Lord Blackadder said:
I have a Lime 266MHz G3 iMac...OS X is a bit slow with 288MB RAM but it still works well for basic websurfing/email. OS 9 runs faster on it though.

The G3 Macs have had a very long useful life and really will only become truly obsolete with the demise of PPC support.
This one came with OS9 on it, but I switched right as Panther was released so I had no idea what to do with OS9. It looked pretty foreign to me. I didn't really want to take the time to learn it since I thought OS X would run well on this one.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
This about settles it. I have the chance to get a well-preserved 500 MHz Indigo iMac for ~$80. Your post effectively drilled a hole in my wallet.

But that's ok! Thanks for the push over the edge.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
MacHarne said:
This about settles it. I have the chance to get a well-preserved 500 MHz Indigo iMac for ~$80. Your post effectively drilled a hole in my wallet.

But that's ok! Thanks for the push over the edge.
Thats a great deal... I don't think you'll regret it at all. LPus there's always the coolness factor of owning the computer that effectively turned Apple Computer around. But I guess thats only if geekness=coolness... :D

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Congrats on the old school purchase! :D

I would love an iMac G3 for my room... you know, just to have. A guest computer is a great idea, too. Call me selfish, but I don't really feel comfortable with other people typing on my white Apple keyboard. :p Who knows where their hands may have been... I just don't know if I would ever actually utilize an iMac G3. Even though I wasn't a Mac user when the iMac G3 was Apple's most up-to-date computer, it still appeals to me very much. I love the design.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
sage

i agree those sage imacs look nice, i have had a graphite (very nice too i might add) seen a dalmation and flowerpower in person and currently have a bondi blue 350 mhz. But dang, sage does look nice

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've had seven friends and my mom up and running on various G3 iMacs. Now I've got my mom's 500mhz with a 120gig 7200rpm hd, one gig of ram and Tiger on it in my living room. Runs great. But in my loft, it is a tiny bit of overkill.

BTW has anyone out there has ever used airport in a G3 iMac? I've got a hundred foot ethernet cable on this one.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
California said:
I've had seven friends and my mom up and running on various G3 iMacs. Now I've got my mom's 500mhz with a 120gig 7200rpm hd, one gig of ram and Tiger on it in my living room. Runs great. But in my loft, it is a tiny bit of overkill.

BTW has anyone out there has ever used airport in a G3 iMac? I've got a hundred foot ethernet cable on this one.

Airport runs great on these, but the cards are expensive, and you need an adapter. In total my girlfriend paid £100 for both.

Then again, you guys have everything cheaper out there!

Rich.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Very nice. I started another thread awhile ago when I gound a Graphite in the technical storage room where I work. I´m not allowed to have it yet, the keep it for accounting reasons (inventory or something I guess).
Looking at yours I really hope I get it soon.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
fatsoforgotso said:
Airport runs great on these, but the cards are expensive, and you need an adapter. In total my girlfriend paid £100 for both.

Then again, you guys have everything cheaper out there!

Rich.

Well, at present exchange rates, that's $173.56.

The AirPort cards go for $100-$120 here, and the adapters are all over the place, I've seen them go for $20, and I've seen them go for $50. So it's probably pretty close.

(A Lucent or Orinoco WaveLAN card works in place of an AirPort card, but it's a bear to get in, because it's longer than the AirPort card, and is really hard to get in the opening. I have one in my 600 MHz Graphite iMac, though, and it works just fine. You still need the adapter, though. I was lucky that my used iMac came with one.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.