Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Hey everybody, I've just got a few questions on music sharing:

1. What are the requirements to share music through iTunes, and Front Row? (I'm on a MacBook Pro, my family's music is on an iMac G4 running 10.4)

2. How can I get the "Shared Music" pane to show up in my iTunes source list?

3. Do they have to be logged in/have iTunes running in order to share music?

4. Do I have to have their Home folder on my desktop (as a server) in order to share music?

5. Anything else to share/add about sharing music? (not a pun)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Ok... I'll give it a try from memory:

1. Any Mac or PC on the same network using iTunes can share the iTunes library (or selected playlists) with eachother.

2. Turn on "Look for shared music" in iTunes preferences -> Sharing (but I think someone else has to share their music before the item shows up in the sidebar).

3. Yes and yes.

4. No.

5. iTunes: How to Share Your Music and maybe you can even pick up some tips in iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

If you have enabled your Firewall, like you should, you need to open up for iTunes Sharing under System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall -> Allow

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Ok... I'll give it a try from memory:

1. Any Mac or PC on the same network using iTunes can share the iTunes library (or selected playlists) with eachother.

2. Turn on "Look for shared music" in iTunes preferences -> Sharing (but I think someone else has to share their music before the item shows up in the sidebar).

3. Yes and yes.

4. No.

5. iTunes: How to Share Your Music and maybe you can even pick up some tips in iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

If you have enabled your Firewall, like you should, you need to open up for iTunes Sharing under System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall -> Allow

It looks like #3 was my problem, in general. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.